- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Photo Sharing for Creating Social Relationships on Instagram
인스타그램에서 사회적 관계 형성을 위한 사진 공유에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.10.13
- Accepted : 2016.12.13
- Published : 2016.12.31
Nowadays, owing to the diffusion of smartphones and the growth of social networking services (SNS), the number of people who share their life with other SNS users by posting photos is increasing. The number of Instagram users has been particularly increasing since Instagram started its service in 2010. Compared to other SNS such as Facebook and Twitter, Instagram runs its service by focusing solely on photos, which is a major differentiation factor compared with other existing SNS. Previous studies, however, do not examine SNS that focus on photo sharing adequately. Therefore, we establish a hypothesis relating to the motivations behind a user's photo sharing attitude and posting intention through Instagram. Moreover, this will be achieved by employing TRA(Theory of Reasoned Action) and focusing on intrinsic and extrinsic motivations. The analysis results show that intrinsic motivation influences a user's sharing attitude and subjective norms. Apart from this, Instagram's expressivity influences a user's photo sharing attitude and posting intention.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Chae, H., Shin, J., and Ko, E 2015. "The Effects of Usage Motivation of Hashtag of Fashion Brands' Image Based SNS on Customer Social Participation and Brand Equity: Focusing on Moderating Effect of SNS Involvement," Fashion and Textile Research Journal (17:6), pp. 942-955. https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.6.942
- Chen, Y., and Moon, T 2014. "An Empirical Study on the Inf luence of Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation on Intention to use Mobile Social Network Service," 인터넷전자상거래연구 (14:2), pp. 181-202.
- 고전미, 신지예, 고은주, 채희주 2014. "패션 브랜드 이미지 기반 SNS 가 플로우, 브랜드 태도에 미치는 영향: 즐거움 감정의 매개변수를 중심으로," 한국의류산업학회지(16:6).
- 박석철 2005. "자아 정체성과 인터넷 커뮤니티 이용행위," 방송통신연구, pp. 255-285.
- 심선희, 문재영 2012. "모바일 SNS 속성이 관계형성과 정보공유를 매개로 사용자 만족도에 미치는 영향," 품질경영학회지 (40:1), pp. 60-72. https://doi.org/10.7469/JKSQM.2012.40.1.060
- 정남호, 이현애, 구철모 2015. "소셜 미디어가 관광지 재방문 의도에 미치는 영향: 자서전적 기억의 매개효과를 중심으로," 한국경영정보학회 학술대회, pp. 163-168.
- 최자영, 이수원, 장은영 2013. "공적자기의식과 나르시시즘이 페이스북 브랜드 팬페이지의 공유의도에 미치는 영향: 브랜드 컨셉의 조절효과 분석," 마케팅연구 (28:2), pp. 65-86.
- 최준호, 이진성, 최성현. 2012. "모바일 메신저 인터페이스 디자인 품질 영향 요인," 디지털디자인학연구 (12:3), pp. 211-220.
- Bock, G. W., Zmud, R. W., Kim, Y. G., and Lee, J. N. 2005. "Behavioral intention formation in knowledge sharing: Examining the roles of extrinsic motivators, socialpsychological forces, and organizational climate," MIS quarterly, pp. 87-111.
- Burke, M., Marlow, C., and Lento, T. 2009. "Feed me: motivating newcomer contribution in socia l network sites," In Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on human factors in computing systems, pp. 945-954. ACM.
- Chen, B., and Marcus, J. 2012. "Students' self-presentation on Facebook: An examination of personality and self-construal factors," Computers in Human Behavior (28:6), pp. 2091-2099. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.06.013
- Clar y, E. G., Snyder, M., R idge, R. D., Copeland, J., Stukas, A. A., Haugen, J., and Miene, P. 1998. "Understanding and assessing the motivations of volunteers: a functional approach," Journal of personality and social psychology (74:6), pp. 1516. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1686
- Deci, E. L., and Ryan, R. M. 1975. "Intrinsic motivation. John Wiley and Sons," Inc.
- Deepa, S. 2015. "Survey Finds Teens Prefer Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat for Social Networks," http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/10/16/survey-finds-teensprefer-instagram-snapchat-among-socialnetworks/
- Duggan, M. 2013. "Photo and video sharing grow online," Pew Research Internet Project.
- Duggan, M., Ellison, N. B., Lampe, C., Lenhart, A., and Madden, M. 2015. "Socialmedia update 2014," Pew Research Center, 19.
- Gu, Y., and Liu, L. 2015. "Motivations and Obstacles for Seniors to Adopt Social Network Services,"
- Hair, J. F., Ringle, C. M., and Sarstedt, M. 2011. "PLS-SEM: Indeed a silver bullet," Journal of Marketing theory and Practice, (19:2), pp. 139-152. https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679190202
- Hassanein, K., and Head, M. 2007. "Manipulating perceived social presence through the web interface and its impact on attitude towards online shopping," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (65:8), pp. 689-708. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.11.018
- Hsieh, J. K., Hsieh, Y. C., Chiu, H. C., and Feng, Y. C. 2012. "Post-adoption switching behavior for online service substitutes: A perspective of the push-pull-mooring frame work," Computersin Human Behavior (28:5), pp. 1912-1920. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.05.010
- Hsu, C.L., and Lin, J.C.C. 2008. "Acceptance of blog usage: The roles of technology acceptance, social influence and knowledge sharing motivation," Information and management (45:1), pp. 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2007.11.001
- Huang, Y., Basu, C., and Hsu, M.K. 2010. "Exploring motivations of travel knowledge sharing on social network sites: an empirical investigation of US college students," Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management (19:7), pp. 717-734. https://doi.org/10.1080/19368623.2010.508002
- Huber, G. P. 2001. "Transfer of knowledge in knowledge management systems: unexplored issues and suggested studies," European Journal of Information Systems (10:2), pp. 72-79. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.ejis.3000399
- Hunt, D. S., Lin, C. A., and Atkin, D. J. 2014. "Communicating social relationships via the use of photo-messaging," Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media (58:2), pp. 234-252. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2014.906430
- Kim, H. W., Chan, H. C., and Gupta, S. 2007. "Value-based adoption of mobile internet: an empirical investigation," Decision Support Systems (43:1), pp. 111-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2005.05.009
- Kim, H.W., Gupta, S., and Koh, J. 2011."Investigating the intention topurchase digital items in social networking communities: A customer value perspective," Information & Management (48:6), pp. 228-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2011.05.004
- Kim, J. Y., Chung, N., and Ahn, K. M. 2013. "Why people use social networking ser v ices in Korea The mediating role of self-disclosure on subject ive wellbeing," Information Development (00:0), pp. 1-12.
- Lakhani, K. R., and Wolf, R. G. 2005. "Perspectives on free and open source software,"
- Lee, C. S., Bakar, N. A. B. A., Dahri, R. B. M., and Sin, S. C. J. 2015. "Instagram This! Sharing Photos on Instagram," In Digital Libraries: Providing Quality Information, pp. 132-141. Springer International Publishing.
- Lee, E., Lee, J.A., Moon, J.H., and Sung, Y. 2015. "Pictures Speak Louder than Words: Motivations for Using Instagram," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking (18:9), pp. 552-556. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2015.0157
- Lin, H. F. 2007. "Effects of extrinsic and intrinsic motivation on employee knowledge sharing intentions," Journal of information science.
- Lin, K. Y., and Lu, H. P. 2011. "Why people use social networking sites: An empirical study integrating network externalities and motivation theory," Computers in Human Behavior (27:3), pp. 1152-1161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.12.009
- Lo, I. S., McKercher, B., Lo, A., Cheung, C., and Law, R. 2011. "Tourism and online photography," Tourism Management (32:4), pp. 725-731. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2010.06.001
- Manikonda, L., Hu, Y., and Kambhampati, S. 2014. "Analyzing user activities, demographics, social network structure and user-generated content on Instagram," arXiv preprint arXiv:1410.8099.
- Nov, O., Naaman, M., and Ye, C. 2010. "Analysis of participation in an online photo-sharing community: A multidimensional perspective," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (61:3), pp. 555-566. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.21278
- Pallud, J., and Straub, D.W. 2014. "Effective website design for experienceinf luenced environments: The case of high culture museums," Information and Management (51:3), pp. 359-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2014.02.010
- Pa rk, J. H. 2010. "Differences among university studentsand facultiesin social networking site perception and use: Implications for academic library services," The Electronic Library (28:3), pp. 417-431. https://doi.org/10.1108/02640471011051990
- Rainie, L., Brenner, J., and Purcell, K. 2012. "Photos and videos as social currency online," Pew Internet and American Life Project.
- Statista. 2016. "Daily time spent on social networking by internet users worldwide from 2012 to 2015," http://www.statista.com/statistics/433871/daily-social-mediausage-worldwide/
- Statista. 2016. "Most popular social networks in South Korea as of December 2015," http://www.statista.com/statistics/521803/preferred-social-networks-south-korea/
- Taylor, S., and Todd, P.A. 1995. "Understanding information technology usage: A test of competing models," Information systems research (6:2), pp. 144-176. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.6.2.144
- Wasko, M. M., and Faraj, S. 2005. "Why shouldI share? Examining social capital and knowledge contribution in electronic networks of practice," MIS quarterly, pp. 35-57.
- Weilenmann, A., Hillman, T., and Jungselius, B. 2013. "Instagram at the museum: communicating the museum experience through social photo sharing," In Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on human factors in computing systems. pp. 1843-1852.
- Zhou, T., Li, H., and Liu, Y. 2010. "The effect of flow experience on mobile SNS users' loyalty," Industrial Management and Data Systems (110:6), pp. 930-946. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635571011055126