- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Examination of Board Independence and Board Involvement: The Role of Information Provision and Sharing
이사회 독립성과 이사회 관여: 정보 제공 및 공유를 중심으로
- 윤현중 (강원대학교 경영회계학부)
- Received : 2016.09.29
- Accepted : 2016.11.24
- Published : 2016.12.31
There is a growing awareness about the role of the board of directors in decision making, which is crucial to vitalize board activities in Korean firms. Given the academic and social needs, the current study is designed to identify the relationship between board independence and the board involvement of directors, highlighting the important aspects of information provision from diverse channels and information sharing among external directors. In this study, I include not only traditional variables to address the structural independence of the board but also the information provision and information sharing variables to explain how external directors, on average, are involved in board decisions. The research results from 136 Korean business samples show positive relationships between board independence and board involvement, but the influence of information provision and sharing proves to be significant in increasing the level of the board involvement of external directors. These findings suggest that active communication and information sharing among external directors, as well as an independent structural design for the board of directors, are important factors to improve the level of board involvement. Based on these results, the current paper provides theoretical and practical implications for corporate governance and knowledge management. Future research directions and limitations are also discussed.
Supported by : 강원대학교
- 강윤식, 국찬표 2012. "사외이사의 독립성과 기업가치," 한국재무학회 (25:3), pp. 451-498.
- 김봉진2012. "이사회의 구조적 특성이 이사회 구성원 간의 공유 멘탈 모델 형성 및 이사회의 효 과성에 미치는 영향에 대한 분석," 사회과학연구 (38:2), pp. 101-126.
- 김봉진, 한주희 2012. "이사회의 구조적 특성이 기업의 전략적 의사결정에 미치는 영향," 경영컨설팅연구 (12:3), pp. 267-289.
- 김용민 1999. "가치를 창출하는 이사회의 설계와 운영. 글로벌 스탠다드와 한국 기업지배구조의 발전방향," 한국경제연구소 심포지움 발표논문.
- 박선현 2015. "기업지배구조에 대한 행태주의적 연구의 현재와 미래," 전략경영연구 (18:2), pp. 75-105.
- 윤현중 2000. "이사회의 구조적 특성이 이사회 관여에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 서울대학교 석사학위 청구논문.
- 이경묵, 오종향 2001. "사외이사의 초과 선임에 관한 제도론적 고찰," 경영학연구 (31:5), pp. 1229-1254.
- 이대회 1997. "사외이사의 역할에 대한 경험적인 연구의 고찰," 상사법 연구 (16:2), pp. 353-404.
- 전무경, 이기은 2013. "이사회 구조 및 독립성이 기업성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 기업경영연구 (48) pp. 235-250.
- 정광선 1999. 이사회 활성화 방안, 서울: 한국상장회사협의회.
- 한국상장회사협의회 1999. 한국형 사외이사제도에 관한 연구 (상장협 연구보고서 99-1), 서울: 한국상장회사협의회.
- Adams, R. B., and D. Ferreira 2007. "A Theory of Friendly Boards," Journal of Finance 62(1), pp. 217-250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2007.01206.x
- Agrawal, A., and C. Knoeber 2001. "Do Some Outside Directors Play a Political Role?," Journal of Law and Economics 44(1), pp. 179-198. https://doi.org/10.1086/320271
- Alchian, AA., and H. Demsetz 1972. "Production, Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, 62(5), pp. 777-795.
- Baranchuk, N., and P. H Dybvig 2009. "Consensus in Diverse Corporate Boards," Review of Financial Studies 22(2), pp. 715-747. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/hhn052
- Baysinger, B. D., and H. Burtler 1985. "Corporate Governance and the Board of Directors: Performance Effects of Changes in Board Composition," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization (1), pp. 101-124.
- Baysinger, B. D., R. D. Kosnik, and T. A. Turk 1991. "Effects of Board and Ownership Structure on Corporate R&D Strategy," Academy of Management Journal (34), pp. 205-214.
- Berg, S. V., and S. K. Smith 1978. "CEO and Board Chairman: A Quantitative Study of Dual versus Unitary Board Leadership," Directors and Boards, Spring, pp. 34-39.
- Byrd, J. and K. Hickman 1992. "Do Outside Directors Monitor Managers? Evidence from Tender Offer Bids," Journal of Financial Economics (32), pp. 195-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(92)90018-S
- Calabro,A., M. Torchia, T. Pukall, and D. Mussolino 2013. "The Influence of Ownership Structure and Board Strategic Involvement on International Sales: The Moderating Effect of Family Involvement," International Business Review (22), pp. 509-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2012.07.002
- Callahan, W. T., J. A. Miller, and C. Schulman 2003. "An Analysis of the Effect of Management Participation in Director Selection on the Long-term Performance of the Firm," Journal of Corporate Finance (9), pp. 169-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1199(02)00004-4
- Castro, C. B., M. D. D. La Concha, J. V. Gravel, and M. M. V. Perinan 2009. "Does the Team Leverage the Board's Decisions?" Corporate Governance: An International Review (17:6), pp. 744-761. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2009.00772.x
- Chaganti, R. S., V. Mahajan, and S. Sharma 1985. "Corporate Board Size, Composition and Corporate Failures in Retailing Industry," Journal of Management Studies (22), pp. 400-417. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1985.tb00005.x
- Dahya, J., and J. J. McConnell 2005. "Outside Directors and Corporate Board Decisions," Journal of Corporate Finance (11), pp. 37-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2003.10.001
- Daily, C. M., and D. R. Dalton 1994." Bankruptcy and Corporate Governance: The Impact of Board Composition and Structure," Academy of Management Journal (37:6), pp. 1603-1617. https://doi.org/10.2307/256801
- Dalton, D. R., C. M. Daily, A. E. Ellstrand, and J. L. Johnson 1998. "Meta-Analytic Reviews of Board Composition, Leadership Structure, and Financial Performance," Strategic Management Review (19), pp. 269-290. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199803)19:3<269::AID-SMJ950>3.0.CO;2-K
- Davis, G. F. 1991. "Agents without Principals? The Spread of Poison Pill through the Intercorporate Network" Administrative Science Quarterly (36), pp. 583-613. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393275
- Essamel, M., and R. Watson 1993. "Organizational Form, Ownership Structure and Corporate Performance: A Contextual Empirical Analysis of UK Companies," British Journal of Management (4:3), pp. 161-176. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8551.1993.tb00056.x
- Finkelstein, S., and R. A. D'Aveni 1994. "CEO Duality as a Double-edged Sword: How Boards of Directors Balance Entrenchment Avoidance and Unity of Command," Academy of Management Journal (37), pp. 1079-1108.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., and W. C. Black 1998. Multivariate Data Analysis, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Hermalin, B. E., and M. Weisbach 1998. "Endogenously Chosen Boards of Directors and their Monitoring of the CEO," American Economic Review pp. 96-118.
- Hirshleifer, D., and A. V. Thakor 1994, "Managerial Performance, Boards of Directors and Takeover Bidding, Journal of Corporate Finance (1:1), pp. 63-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0929-1199(94)90010-8
- Jensen, M. C., and W. Meckling 1976. "Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs, and Ownership Structure," Journal of Financial Economics (3), pp. 305-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90026-X
- Johnson, J. L., C. M. Daily, and A. E. Ellstrand 1996. "Boards of Directors: A Review and Research Agenda," Journal of Management (22:3), pp. 409-438. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639602200303
- Johnson, R. A., R. E., Hoskisson, and M. A. Hitt 1993. "Board of Director Involvement in Restructuring: The Effects of Board versus Managerial Controls and Characteristics," Strategic Management Journal, (14 Special summer issue), pp. 33-50.
- Judge, W. Q., and C. P. Zeithaml 1992. "Institutional and Strategic Choice Perspectives on Board Involvement in the Strategic Decision Process," Academy of Management Journal (35:4), pp. 766-794. https://doi.org/10.2307/256315
- Kosnik, R. D. 1990. "Effects of Board Demography and Directors' Incentive on Corporate Greenmail Decisions," Academy of Management Journal (33), pp. 129-150.
- McDonald, M. L., P. Khanna, and J. D. Westphal 2008. "Getting Them to Think Outside the Circle: Corporate Governance, CEO's External Advice Networks and Firm Performance," Academy of Management Journal (51:3), pp. 453-475. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2008.32625969
- McDonald, M. L., and J. D. Westphal 2010. "A Little Help Here? The Effects of Independent Board Control on CEO Helping Networks: A Social Identification Perspective," Academy of Management Journal (53:2), pp. 343-370. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2010.49389006
- McDonald, M. L., and J. D. Westphal 2003. "Getting by with the Advice of their Friends: CEOs' Advice Networks and Firms' Strategic Responses to Poor Performance," Administrative Science Quarterly (48), pp. 1-32. https://doi.org/10.2307/3556617
- Oliver, R. W. 2000. "The Board's Role: Driver' s Seat or Rubber Stamp?" Journal of Business Strategy (21:4), pp. 7-9. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb040096
- O'Neal, D., and H. Thomas 1995. "Director Networks/Director Selection: The Board' s Strategic Role," European Management Journal (13:1), pp. 79-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-2373(94)00060-K
- Pearce, J. A., and S. A. Zahra 1992. "Board Composition from a Strategic Contingency Perspective," Journal of Management Studies (29:4), pp. 411-438. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1992.tb00672.x
- Ravasi, D., and A. Zattoni 2006. "Exploring the Political Side of Board Involvement in Strategy: A Study of Mixed-Ownership Institutions," Journal of Management Studies (43:8), pp. 1671-1702. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00659.x
- Rechner, P. L., and D. R. Dalton 1991. "CEO Duality and Organizational Performance: A Longitudinal Analysis," Strategic Management Journal (12), pp. 155-160. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250120206
- Rechner, P. L., and D. R. Dalton 1989. "The Impact of CEO as Board Chair Person on Cor porate Per forma nce: Ev idence vs. Rhetoric," Academy of Management Executives (3), pp. 141-143.
- Rosenstein, S. and J. G. Wyatt 1990. "Outside Directors, Board Independence, and Shareholder Wealth," Journal of Financial Economics (26), 175-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(90)90002-H
- Ruigrock, W., S. I., Peck, and H. Keller 2006. "Board Characteristics and Involvement in Strategic Decision Making: Evidence from Swiss Companies," Journal of Management Studies (43:5), pp. 1201-1226. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00634.x
- Schellenger, M. H., D. D. Wood, and A. Tashakori 1989. "Board of Director Composition, Shareholder Wealth, and Dividend Policy," Journal of Management (15), pp. 457-487.
- Siciliano, J. I. 2008. "A Comparison of CEO and Director Perceptions of Board Involvement in Strategy," Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (37:1), pp. 152-162. https://doi.org/10.1177/0899764007301287
- Sonnenfield, J. A. 2002. "What Males Great Boards Great," Harvard Business Review, September, pp. 106-113.
- Sterns, L. B., and M. S. Mizruchi 1993. "Board Composition and Corporate Financing: The Impact of Financial Institution Representation on Borrowing," Academy of Management Journal (36:3), pp. 603-619. https://doi.org/10.2307/256594
- Taylor, S. E., and S. T. Fiske 2016. Social Cognition: From Brain to Culture, New York: Sage Publications.
- Wade, J., C. A. O'Reilly III, and I. Chandratat 1990. "Golden Parachutes: CEOs and the Exercise of Social Influence, Administrative Science Quarterly (35), pp. 587-603. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393510
- Westphal, J. D. 1999. "Collaboration in the Boardroom: Behavioral and Performance Consequences of CEO-board Social Ties," Academy of Management Journal (42:1), pp. 7-24. https://doi.org/10.2307/256871
- Westphal, J. D., and P. Khanna 2003. "Keeping Directors in Line: Social Distancing as a Control Mechanism in the Corporate Elite," Administrative Science Quarterly, (48:3), pp. 361-398. https://doi.org/10.2307/3556678
- Westphal, J. D., S. H. Park, M. L. McDonald, and M. L. A. Hayward 2012. "Helping other CEOs Avoid Bad Press: Social Exchange and Impression Management Support among CEOs in Communication with Journalists," Administrative Science Quarterly (57:2), pp. 217-268. https://doi.org/10.1177/0001839212453267
- Westphal, J. D., and E. Zajac 2013. "A Behavioral Theory of Corporate Governance: Explicating the Mechanisms of Socially Situated and Socially Constituted Agency," Academy of Management Annals (7:1), pp. 607-661. https://doi.org/10.1080/19416520.2013.783669
- Williamson, O. E. 1964. The Economics of Discretionary Behavior: Managerial Objectives in the Theory of the Firm. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- Yermack, D. 1996. "Higher Market Valuation of Companies with a Small Board of Directors," Journal of Financial Economics (40), pp. 185-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(95)00844-5