- Volume 2 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on Market Prospects, Financing Challenges and Alternative Solutions in New Nuclear Power Projects
신규 원전의 시장전망 및 금융조달의 과제와 대안
- Lee, Jang-pyo (KEPCO Overseas Project Development Div. Korea Electric Power Corporation)
- Received : 2016.02.26
- Accepted : 2016.03.08
- Published : 2016.03.30
Although construction of any new nuclear power projects had not been launched since mid-1970s until recently in the USA, many new nuclear power plants have been constructed in many countries with the support of their governments mainly as part of their national energy security and electric source diversification policies. For many reasons, the nuclear power industry seemed to reclaim their renaissance from the beginning of this century and the investment in the nuclear power projects draw positive concern from the private financial sector. But the global financial crisis in 2008 and subsequent economic slow-down together with tighter bank credit regulations caused commercial banks, the main source of financing, to lose appetite for investing in new nuclear power projects. But the nuclear power economics shows that the nuclear power is viable in terms of the environmental benefit and long-term average cost compared to other power generation sources. Also doubt about nuclear power safety was much mitigated due to technology development and reinforced safety-related tests and monitoring. Therefore, the prospect for nuclear power market expansion remains positive although there are comparatively big differences among different scenarios. After Korea Electric Power Corp. won the UAE nuclear power project in December of 2009, the competition in nuclear power markets is undergoing huge changes. Competitors backed by the support of their own governments are now entering the market with many aggressive and innovative financing packages to win bids of new nuclear power projects. This report analyzed the nuclear power market prospects, competitive edges of nuclear power, risk management measures, and financing challenges and recommends alternative solutions to promote competitive edges in winning bids of new nuclear power projects.
- IAEA, "Energy, Electricity and Nuclear Power Estimates for the Period up to 2050", 2015.
- Carmine Difiglio 외 1, "Economics of Nuclear Power in Liberalizes Power Markets", World Federation of Scientists, 2012.8.
- Forbes, "Paris COP21 and the Urgent Need for More Nuclear Energy", 2015.12.15.
- Bloomberg Business, "Abudhabi said to Revive Debt Plan for First Nuclear Plant", 2015/9/3.
- Milbank, "Challenges for Developing and financing Nuclear Power Projects", 2012.6 등.
- World Nuclear Association, "The Economics of Nuclear Power", 2015.9.
- WNA Report, "Nuclear power Economics and project Structuring", 2012.9.
- "Securing Finance for Nuclear Projects", Elina Teplinsy 외 1,Pillsbury, 2015.5
- "The Financial Risks of Investing in New NPPs",Energyfair, 2012.3
- "Financing Nuclear power Plant-...",D. Kgomo,CEPLMP 등
- Nadira Barkatullah 발표 슬라이드, IAEA Nuclear Energy Policy Management School, Italy, "Financing Structures for a Nuclear Power project", 2012.11 등.
- "Nuclear Power Plant Financing", Daniel H. Joyner, Univ. of Alabama, 2013
- "What does It Take to Finance Nuclear PowerPlants?", Steve Thomas, Univ. of Greenwich, 2014.7.
- IFNEC Finance Workshops and Panel Discussion, "Financing Nuclear Power Projects", 2012.5 외.
- IAEA, "Financing of New Nuclear Power Plants". 2008.
- Fabienne Pehuet Lucet, Ifri Energy Center, "Financing Nuclear Power Plant Projects", 2015.5 등.