- Volume 2 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Customer Load Pattern Analysis using Clustering Techniques
클러스터링 기법을 이용한 수용가별 전력 데이터 패턴 분석
- Ryu, Seunghyoung (Networking for Information Communications and Energy Lab, Sogang University) ;
- Kim, Hongseok (Networking for Information Communications and Energy Lab, Sogang University) ;
- Oh, Doeun (KEPCO Research Institute, Korea Electric Power Corporation) ;
- No, Jaekoo (KEPCO Research Institute, Korea Electric Power Corporation)
- Received : 2015.08.28
- Accepted : 2015.12.14
- Published : 2016.03.30
Understanding load patterns and customer classification is a basic step in analyzing the behavior of electricity consumers. To achieve that, there have been many researches about clustering customers' daily load data. Nowadays, the deployment of advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) and big-data technologies make it easier to study customers' load data. In this paper, we study load clustering from the view point of yearly and daily load pattern. We compare four clustering methods; K-means clustering, hierarchical clustering (average & Ward's method) and DBSCAN (Density-Based Spatial Clustering of Applications with Noise). We also discuss the relationship between clustering results and Korean Standard Industrial Classification that is one of possible labels for customers' load data. We find that hierarchical clustering with Ward's method is suitable for clustering load data and KSIC can be well characterized by daily load pattern, but not quite well by yearly load pattern.
Supported by : 기초전력연구원
- G. Chicco. "Overview and performance assessment of the clustering methods for electrical load pattern grouping" Energy, Vol. 42, No. 1, 2012, pp. 68-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2011.12.031
- 통계청. "한국표준산업분류", 통계청, 2008.
- J. Han and M. Kamber. "Data mining: concepts and techniques", Morgan Kaufmann, 2001.
- T. W. Liao. "Clustering of time series data-a survey", Pattern recognition, Vol. 38, No. 11, 2005, pp. 1857-1874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2005.01.025
- J. A. Hartigan and M. A. Wong. "Algorithm AS 136: A k-means clustering algorithm", Applied statistics, Vol. 28, No. 1, 1979, pp. 100-108. https://doi.org/10.2307/2346830
- L. Rokach and O. Maimon. "Clustering methods", Data mining and knowledge discovery handbook, Springer US, 2005, pp. 321-352.
- G. Chicco, R. Napoli and F. Piglione. "Comparisons among Clustering Techniques for Electricity Customer Classification", IEEE Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 21, No. 2, 2006, pp. 933-940.
- M. Ester, HP. Kriegel, J. Sander, and X. Xu. "A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise", Conference on Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Vol. 96, No. 34, 1996, pp. 226-231.
- U. Maulik and S. Bandyopadhyay. "Performance Evaluation of Some Clustering Algorithms and Validity Indices", IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 24, No. 12, 2002, pp. 1650-1654. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2002.1114856
- D. L. Davies and D. W. Bouldin. "A cluster separation measure." IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1979, pp. 224-227.
- T. Calinski and J. Harabasz. "A dendrite method for cluster analysis", Communications in Statistics-theory and Methods, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1974, pp. 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610928308827180
- Gerbec, David, S. Gasperic and F. Gubina. "Allocation of the load profiles to consumers using probabilistic neural networks", IEEE Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2006, pp. 548-555.
- T. F. Cox and M. A. A. Cox, "Multi-dimensional Scaling", CRC Press, 2000.