- Volume 43 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Storage Period and Temperature on Egg Quality in Commercial Eggs
- Lee, Min Hee (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Eun Jung (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Choi, Eun Sik (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Sohn, Sea Hwan (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.02.17
- Accepted : 2016.03.09
- Published : 2016.03.31
Consumers demand fresh and high-quality eggs. Egg quality may be represented by shell color, shell weight, egg weight, shell thickness, shell density, albumen height, yolk color, albumen pH and viscosity. Various factors such as strain, age of hen, storage temperature, humidity, the presence of
Supported by : Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology
- Act No. 8852. Ordinance of the Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. Livestock Industry Act. Statutes of the Republic of Korea. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=136435#0000 Accessed Nov. 2, 2015.
- Ahn DU, Sell JL, Jo C, Chamruspollert M, Jeffrey M 1999 Effect of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on the quality characteristics of chicken eggs during refrigerated storage. Poult Sci 78: 922-928. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.6.922
- Ahn DU, Kim SK, Shu H 1997 Effect of egg size and strain and age of hen on the solids content of chicken eggs. Poult Sci 76:914-919. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.6.914
- American Egg Board, Shell egg distribution. Available from: http://www.aeb.org/egg-industry/industry-facts/egg-production-and-consumption Accessed Nov. 2, 2015.
- Akyurek H, Okur AA 2009 Effect of storage time, temperature and hen age on egg quality in free-range layer hens. J Anim Vet Adv 8:1953-1958.
- Carraro AC, Antunes AJ 2001 Unidade Haugh como medida da qualidade de ovos de galinha armazenados sob refrigeracao. Sci Agric 58: 681-685. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-90162001000400005
- Eisen EJ, Bohren BB, Mckean HE 1962 The Haugh unit as a measure of egg albumen quality. Poult Sci 41:1461-1468. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0411461
- EUR-Lex. EU egg marketing regulations. Available from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32008R0589 Accessed Oct. 20, 2015.
- Hammershoj M, Larsen LB, Andersen AB, Quvist KB 2002 Storage of shell eggs influences the albumen gelling properties. LWT-Food Sci Technol 35:62-69. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.2001.0811
- Hartmann C, Johanson K, Strandberg E, Rydhmer L 2003 Genetic correlations between the maternal genetic effect on chick weight and the direct genetic effects on egg composition traits in a White Leghorn line. Poult Sci 82: 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.1.1
- Haugh RR 1937 The Haugh unit for measuring egg quality. US Egg Poult Mag 43:522-555, 572-573.
- Heath JL 1977 Chemical and related osmotic changes in egg albumen during storage. Poult Sci 56:822-828. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0560822
- Hidalgo A, Rossi M, Pompei C 2006 Estimation of equivalent egg age through furosine analysis. Food Chem 94: 608-612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.12.022
- Huang Q, Qiu N, Ma MH, Jin YG, Yang H, Geng F, Sun SH 2012 Estimation of egg freshness using S-ovalbumin as an indicator. Poult Sci 91:739-743. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2011-01639
- Hunton P 1987 Laboratory evaluations of egg quality. In: Egg Quality- Current Problems and Recent Advances. R. G. Wells and C. G. Belyavin, ed. Butterworths, London. pp. 87-102.
- Jin YH, Lee KT, Lee WI, Han YK 2011 Effects of storage temperature and time on the quality of eggs from laying hens at peak production. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 24:279-284. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10210
- Johnson AS, Merritt ES 1955 Heritability of albumen height and specific gravity of eggs from White Leghorns and Barred Rocks and the correlations of these traits with egg production. Poult Sci 34:578-587. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0340578
- Jones DR, Musgrove MT 2005 Effects of extended storage on egg quality factor. Poult Sci 84:1774-1777. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.11.1774
- Jones DR, Tharrington JB, Curtis PA, Anderson KE, Keener KM, Jones FT 2002 Effects of cryogenic cooling of shell eggs on egg quality. Poult Sci 81:727-733. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.5.727
- Jones DR 2007 Egg functionality and quality during long-term storage. Int J Poult Sci 6:157-162. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2007.157.162
- Karoui R, Kemps B, Bamelis F, De Ketelaere B, Decuypere E, De Baerdemaeker J 2006 Methods to evaluate egg freshness in research and industry: A review. Eur Food Res Technol 22:727-732.
- Kirunda DFK, McKee SR 2000 Relating quality characteristics of aged eggs and fresh eggs to vitelline membrane strength as determined by a texture analyzer. Poult Sci 79: 1189-1193. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.8.1189
- Robinson DS 1987 The chemical basis of albumen quality. In: Egg Quality-Current Problems and Recent Advances. R. G. Wells and C. G. Belyavin, ed. Butterworths, London. pp. 179-191.
- Samli HE, Agma A, Senkoylu N 2005 Effects of storage time and temperature on egg quality in old laying hens. J Appl Poult Res 14:548-553. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/14.3.548
- Scott TA, Silversides FG 2000 The effect of storage and strain of hen on egg quality. Poult Sci 79:1725-1729. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.12.1725
- Shin D, Narciso-Gaytan C, Regenstein JM, Sanchez-Plata MX 2012 Effect of various refrigeration temperatures on quality of shell eggs. J Sci Food Agric 92(7):1341-1345. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.4699
- Silversides FG, Budgell K 2004 The relationships among measures of egg albumen height, pH, and whipping volume. Poult Sci 83:1619-1623. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.10.1619
- Silversides FG, Scott TA 2001 Effect of storage and layer age on quality of eggs from two lines of hens. Poult Sci 80:1240-1245. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.8.1240
- Silversides FG, Villeneuve P 1994 Is the Haugh unit correction for egg weight valid for eggs stored at room temperature? Poult Sci 73:50-52. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0730050
- Tona K, Onagbesan O, De Ketelaere B, Decuypere E, Bruggeman V 2004 Effects of age of broiler breeders and egg storage on egg quality, hatchability chick quality, chick weight and chick post hatch growth to 42 days. J Appl Poult Res 13:10-18. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/13.1.10
- United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Service (USDA-AMS), United States standards, grades, and weight classes for shell eggs. Available from: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004376 Accessed Oct. 20, 2015.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service (USDA-FSIS), Salmonella enteritidis risk assessment. Available from: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/ophs/risk/ Accessed Oct. 20, 2015.
- Walsh TJ, Rizk RE, Brake J 1995 Effects of temperature and carbon dioxide on albumen characteristics, weight loss, and early embryonic mortality of long stored hatching eggs. Poult Sci 74:1403-1410. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0741403
- Williams KC 1992 Some factors affecting albumen quality with particular reference to Haugh unit score. World's Poult Sci J 48:5-16. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19920002
- Wolc A, Arango J, Settar P, O'Sullivan NP, Olori VE, White IMS, Hill WG, Dekkers JCM 2012 Genetic parameters of egg defects and egg quality in layer chickens. Poult Sci 91:1292-1298. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2011-02130
- Zhang LC, Ning ZH, Xu GY, Hou ZC, Yang N 2005 Heritabilities and genetic and phenotypic correlations of egg quality traits in brown-egg dwarf layers. Poult Sci 84: 1209-1213. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.8.1209
- The Effect of Hen Age on Egg Quality in Commercial Layer vol.43, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2016.43.4.253