- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on the Factors of Parental Rearing Behavior Based on Vygotsky's Theory of Social Constructivism for Developing Convergence Digital Contents
융복합 디지털 콘텐츠 개발을 위한 비고츠키의 사회적구성주의 이론에 따른 부모양육행동 요인 탐색
- Cha, Hyeon-Ju (College of Social Sciences, SungKyunKwan University) ;
- Cho, Hee-Sun (College of Social Sciences, SungKyunKwan University)
- Received : 2016.01.29
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.28
This study started from the basis of necessity on the researches which asserts that parental rearing behavior in the modern society should change reflecting the social change of sociocultural environment. For this, parental rearing behavior of social constructivism and existing parental rearing behavior were contemplated while construct of parental rearing behavior was explored on the basis of main causes from Vygotsky's theory in order to prepare paradigm of new parental rearing behavior. As far as the method of study goes, various literature from relevant scholars were analyzed, centering various previously conducted studies pertaining to parental rearing behaviors as well as Vygotsky's theory. Also, the validity of the contents was confirmed through consult and revision from three experts. As the result, five factors were extracted. First, factor of cooperative interaction on social interaction. Secondly, emphasis on Internalization factor on social constructive behavior. Thirdly, potential development factor in zone of proximal development. Fourthly, instructional conversation factor as semiotic medium. Lastly, assistance factor as scaffolding. As a result, new paradigm of parental rearing behavior was presented and opened a prospect in developing the touchstone of parental rearing behavior pursuant to social constructivism.
convergence digital contents;parental rearing behavior;Vygotsky;ZPD;scaffolding
- O. B. Chung, S. H. Chung, "Parent education, Seoul: Hakgisa Press", 2014.
- O. B. Jung, S. H. Jung, G. O. Hong, "Understanding Marriage and Family, Seoul: Sigmapress", p. 230, 2008.
- Tanner, J. M, "Varying patterns of development for the four systems of growth. In Manual of Child Psychology" 3rd ed., Vol. 1. 1970.
- Baldwin, A. L, "Behavior and development in childhood. New York: Dryden Press", 1955.
- Baumrind, D, "Child care practices anteceding three patterns of preschool behavior" Genetic Psychology Monographs, Vol. 75, No. 1, pp. 43-88. 1967. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0024919
- Becker, G, "Human Capital, Chicago: The University of Chicago Press", 1964.
- Elder, G. H, "Pantal Power legitimation and its effect on the adolescent". Sociometry, Vol. 26, pp. 50-56, 1963. https://doi.org/10.2307/2785724
- Maccoby, E. E, & Martin, J. A, "Socialization in the context of the family: Parent-child interaction. In P. H. Mussen & E. M. Hetherington, Handbook of child psychology: Vol. 4. Socialization, personality and social development (4th ed.). New York: Wiley, 1983.
- Parker, G, Tupling, H, & Brown, L. B, "A Parental Bonding Instrument". British Journal of Medical Psychology, Vol. 52, pp. 1-10, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8341.1979.tb02487.x
- Roe, A, & Siegelman, M, "A parent-child relations questionnaire". Child Development, Vol. 34, pp. 355-369, 1963.
- Schaefer E S & Bell R Q, "Development of a parental attitude research instrument. Child Develop, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 339-361, 1958.
- Schaefer, E. S, "A circumplex model for maternal behavior". Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, Vol. 59, pp. 226-235, 1959. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0041114
- Schaefer, E. S, "Children' reports of parental behavior: An inventory", Child Development, Vol. 36, pp. 413-424, 1965. https://doi.org/10.2307/1126465
- Schaefer, E. S, "A configurational analysis of children' reports of parent behavior", Journal of Consulting Psychology, Vol. 29, pp. 552-657, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0022702
- Symonds, P. M, "The dynamics of parent-child relationships", New York: Columbia University, 1949.
- Hurlock. E. B, "Child development", New York: McGraw Hill Co, 1978.
- Perry, D, & Bussey, K, "Social Development. Englewood Cliffs", NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1984.
- Rohner, R. P., & Rohner, E. C, "Parental acceptance-rejection and parental control: Cross-cultural codes", Ethnology, Vol. 20, pp. 245-260, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3773230
- S. Y. Park, "A Study on the Development of Korean Maternal Behavior Inventory, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 151-165, 1989.
- K. S. Oh, "Parents and Children Related Diagnostic Tests", Seoul; Korean Testing Center, 1965.
- S. S. Oh, J. S. Lee, "Relationship between perception and definition of the characteristics of the child rearing methods parents", The Journal of Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 1-15, 1982.
- W. Y. Rhee, "The Influence of Mother's Rearing Patterns and Attitudes on Child's Social Personality Development", Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 329-344, 1973.
- W. S. Jung, "Human and Education, Seoul: Baeyosa, 1975.
- J. H. Lee, "Understanding ADHD and teaching methods", The Korean Counselors' Association, Vol. 47, pp. 205-217, 2012.
- Jung-Ha Lim, "The Study on Parenting Adolescents in Korea : Development and Validation of the Korean Parenting Inventory", Graduate School of Korea University, Doctoral Dissertation, 2003.
- Myo-yeon Huh, "The study for the development and validation of 'parenting behavior inventory' perceived by adolescent", Graduate School of Ewha Woman's University, Doctoral Dissertation, 2010.
- B. H. Cho, J. S. Lee, H. S. Lee, H. K. Kwon, "Dimensions and Assessment of Korean Parenting Style", Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 37, No. 10, pp. 123-133, 1999.
- H. J. Kim, "Study on the formation of the personality of the parents rearing their children", Kwangshin Forum, Vol. 20, pp. 253-277, 2011.
- Jeong-Ah Kim, "A Study on Social Competence and it's related variables" Graduate School of Ewha Woman's University, master's thesis, 1990.
- K. J. Moon, K. J. Oh, "The relationship between perceived parental behaviors and early adolescents' depression and anxiety", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 29-43, 2002.
- Young-Yae Park, "The Relations between Parental Childbearing Behaviors and Children's Self - Esteem", Graduate School of Korea University, Doctoral Dissertation, 1995.
- S. H. Kim, A. Y. Kim, "Development and Validation of the Perceived Mother's Parenting Behavior Scale: An Application of the Self-Determination Theory", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 26. No. 3, pp. 717-738, 2012.
- Vygotsky, L. S, "Thought and language Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology", 1986.
- Rene van der Veer and Jaan Valsiner, "The Vygotsky reader. Oxford, UK; Blackwell", 1994.
- Wertsch, J. V, "Vygotsky and the social formation of mind", Harvard University Press, 1985.
- Leslie P. Steffe and Jerry Gale, "Constructivism and Education", Lawrence Erlboum Associates, Inc., Publishers, New Jersey, 1995.
- Y. J. Yu, S. O. Kim, K. S. Kim, "Family Relationships, Gyeonggido; Kyomunsa", 2010.
- Valsiner. J, "Culture and the development of children's action(2nd Ed.)", New York : John wily & Sons. Inc, 1997.
- Rowe, S., & Wertsch, J. V, "Vygotsky' model of cognitive development", In U. Goshwami (Ed.), Blackwell handbook of childhood cognitive development (pp. 538-554). Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 2002.
- S. Lee, Effects of Child - rearing Attitudes on Korean Elementary School Children's Sex - role Traits", Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 199-207, 1986.
- B.H. Cho, J. S. Lee, H. S. Lee, H. K. Kwon, "Dimensions and Assessment of Korean Parenting Style", Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 37, No. 10, pp. 123-133, 1999.
- Amold, D. S, O'Leary S. G. Wolff. L.S., & Acker, M. M, "The Parenting Scale: A measure of difunctional parenting in discipline situations", Psychological Assessment, Vol. 5, pp. 137-144, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35126.96.36.199
- S. Y. Park, S. Lee, "A Preliminary Study for the Standardization of the Korean Maternal Behavior Inventory", Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 141-156, 1990.
- Broderick, C. B, "Marrige and the Family(2nd ed.)", Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey : Prentice-Hall, 1984.
- K. J. Cho, M. H. Lee, "Relationship Between Perceived Parental Rearing Attitudes, Stress, Stress-coping and Self-efficacy of Middle School Students", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 120-127, 2010.
- Holden, G. W, "Parents and the dynamics of child rearing", Boulder, Co, Westview, 1997.
- Kozulin, A, "Psychological tools and mediated learning", In A. Kozulin, B. Gindis, V. Ageyev & S. Miller (Eds.), Vygotsky's educational theory in cultural context (pp. 15-38). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Vygotsky, L. S, "Mind in society", Cambridge, MA: Harvard University (M. Cole, S. Scribner, V. John-Steiner, & E. Souberman, Trans.; original work published 1934), 1978.
- Wertsch, J. V. & Stone, C. A, "Micro-genesis as a tool for developmental analysis", Quarterly Newsletter for the Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition, Vol. 1, pp. 8-10, 1978.
- Wertsch, J. V., & Stone, C. A, "The concept of internalization in Vygotsky's account of the genesis of higher mental functions", In J. V. Wertsch (Ed.), Culture, communication, and cognition: Vygotskian perspectives. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 1985.
- Maccoby, E. E, "Middle childhood in the context of the family", In W.A. Collins (Ed.), Development during middle childhood. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1984.
- Confrey, Jere, "What Constructivism Implies for Teaching", In Constructivist Views on the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics, edited by Robert B. Davis, Carolyn A. Mayer, and Nel Noddings, pp. 107-22. Reston, Va.: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1990.
- Rogoff, B, "Apprenticeship in thinking: Cognitive development in social context", New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.
- Y. S. Jon, "An Evalution of Instructional Effectiveness and Learning Potential Abilities based on Vygotsky's ZPD Conceptualization", Korean journal of educational research, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 151-175, 1992.
- Santrock, J, "A Topical Approach To Life-Span Development", Chapter 6 Cognitive Development Approaches (200-225), New York, NY:McGraw-Hill, 2004.
- Grolnick, W. S., & Ryan, R. M, "Parent styles associated with children's self-regulation and competence in school", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 81, pp. 143-154, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.52
- S. H. Lee, H. Y. Min, H. J. Kwon, Y. J. Chyung, Y. J. Han, Y. K. Choi, K. N. Kwon, "Parent & Education, Seoul; Hakjisa, 2014.
- J. Y. Moon, "An empirical study of the Strategy Development and Deployment effects on the Hospital Management and Hospital Performance", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 57-63, 2015.
- S. H. Koh, "Convergent Momentum Strategy in the Korean Stock Market", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 127-132, 2015.