- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Sexual Experiences of the Mentally Disabled based on the Grounded Theory
정신장애인의 성경험에 대한 근거이론적 접근
- Choi, Je-Woo (Dept. of Dental Technology, Chungbuk Health & Science University) ;
- Oh, Geum-Sook (Dept. of Nursing, Chungbuk Health & Science University)
- Received : 2016.01.21
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.28
This study attempts to suggest a theoretical basic frame that is needed for nursing intervention regarding the sexual experiences of the mentally disabled. The data were collected through a series of interviews with 14 participants. With permission of the mentally disabled, the interviews were recorded and transcribed. The data were analyzed using the framework of grounded theory mapped out by Strauss & Corbin(1998). The following 3 theories were confirmed on the basis of repetitive relations: becoming nest type, exercising self-restraint type, getting tangled type. Therefore, it is necessary to develop a realistic sex education that is relevant to hospital, community mental health center, and culture. The nurse is required to activily participate in educating the mentally disabled with a diverse approach to instill and nurture the sober perspective about sex such as the pleasure, life, intimacy based on sexual equality.
Sexual Experiences;The Mentally Disabled;Grounded Theory;Nest Type;Self-restraint Type;Tangled Type
- J. Kim, "A Study on the perceived mentally disabled persons sexuality of the Mental health social workers and mentally disabled persons," Master's thesis, Iwha Women's University, Seoul, 2006.
- M. Yu, "A qualitative study on the process of marriage maintenance among people with mental disorder", Ph.D. thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul, 2001.
- N. Kwak, "A Study on the Sexuality of Mentally Ill," Master's thesis, Iwha Women's University, Seoul, 2001.
- J. Kim, "A study on the relationship between mentally ill ability to cope with sexual problems and life quality: On female mentally Ill," Master's thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul, 2009.
- S. Moon, "A Research on Psychiatric Patients' Marriage Lives", Master's thesis, Iwha Women's University, Seoul, 2002.
- K. Sim, "The Effects of Sex Education Program on Sex-related knowledge and attitude of the Persons with Chronic Mental Disorder", Master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2005.
- P. Assalian, R. Fraser, R. Tempier, D. Cohen, "Sexuality and quality of life of patients with schizophrenia", International J. Psychiatry in Clinical Practice. Vol. 4, pp. 29-33, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/13651500052048479
- J. Chae, "A Study on the Relationship between Marital Relations and Social Adjustment that the mentally Disabled", Master's thesis, Daegu University, Daegu, 2007.
- J. Mcdonald, T. A. Badger, "Social Function of person with schizophrenia", Journal of Psychosocial Nursing. 40(6): pp. 42-5, 2002.
- S. Min, "The Daily Experiences of People with Chronic schizophrenia", Master's thesis, Iwha Women's University, Seoul, 2003.
- WM. Chernomas, DE. Clarke, FA. Chisholm, "Perspectives of women living with schizophrenia", J. Psychiatric Search. Vol. 51, No.12, pp. 1517-1521, 2000.
- TB. George, "Defining care in the culture of the chronically mentally ill living in the community", J. Transculture Nursing. Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 102-110, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/104365960001100204
- Y. Hayne, O. Yonge, "The life world of the chronic mentally ill : analysis of written personal accounts", Arch Psychiatric Nursing. Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 314-324, 1999.
- JM. Pickens, "Living with serious mental illness: the desire for normalcy", Nursing Science Q. Vol.12, No. 3, pp. 233-239, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/08943189922107007
- T. Sayre, "The patient's diagnosis: Explanatory models of mental illness", Qualitative Health Research. Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 71-83, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/104973200129118255
- A. Strauss, J. Corbin,"Basic of Qualitative Research (Technique and procedures for developing grounded theory)". 2nd ed. SAGE Publication California, 1998.
- M. E. Willmuth, "Sexuality after spinal cord injury: A critical review", Clinical Psychology Review, Vol. 7, pp. 389-412, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7358(87)90018-3
- R. M. Hogan, "Human sexuality: A nursing perspectives (2nd ed.)", N.Y.: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1985.
- C. Lee, I. Yoo, & Y. Kwon, "A Study on the needs of chronic mentally ill patients in a city", J. Chonnam Research Institute of Nursing Science. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 65-78, 2002.
- K. Ko, J. Park, & C. Jeong, "A study of sexual experience, sex attitudes, and sex knowledge in persons with schizophrenia", J. Korean Acad psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 255-264, 2008.
- H. Lee, "A study on sex life in patients with schizophrenia in the residential facilities", Master's thesis, Chosun University, Gwangju, 2010.
- H. Lee, "The study on the sexual behaviors of the mentally retarded and the development of the sex education program and its effects", Ph.D, thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, 2003.
- J. Ko, "Sexual experience of men with cervical cord injuries and his wives", Ph.D, thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 2000.
- W.H. Denton, D. R. Reynolds, B. R. Burleson, & R. T. Anderson, " The role of marital status in health services expenditures for psychiatric outpatients", J. Marital and Family Therapy, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 383-392, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.1999.tb00255.x
- P. Seeman, "All psychotic roads lead to increased D2 High dopamine receptors", A perspective. Clinical Schizophrenia and Related Psychoses, January, pp. 351-355, 2008.
- E. Yurkovich, J. Buehler, & T. Smyer, "Loss of control and chronic mentally ill in a rural Day-treatment center", Perspective Psychiatric Care, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 33-39, 1997.
- Y. Kweon, "A study on the Status and Countermeasure of Sexual Problem of the Life Facilities Handicapped", Master's thesis, Myungji University, Seoul, 2005.
- S. Lee, D. Kim, " A Study on Social Welfare Practice Intervention in Sexual Needs for Disabled People", J. of Rehabilitation Research, Vol. 2, No. 9, pp 203-229, 2008.
- S. lee, M. Youn, Y, Kim, " A Study on Counselor's Professional Development Experiences of Undergraduate Students Through Reflective Journal Writing" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 43-56, 2015.
- M. Kim, G. Kang, " The Convergence Study on the Relationship between the Job Stress and Mental Health of Nurses", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039