- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Verbal Abuse Experience, Coping Style and Resilience on Emotional Response and Stress During Clinical Practicum among Nursing Students
간호대학생의 폭력경험, 대처양식 및 회복탄력성이 정서반응과 임상실습스트레스에 미치는 효과
- Jeong, Yun-Hwa (Nursing department, Kyongbuk Science College) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Hee (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2016.01.07
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.28
This study aimed to investigate the effect of verbal abuse experience, coping style and resilience on emotional response and practical stress. 261 nursing students participated in this study. The Data were collected using self-report questionnaires from Dec. 1 to Dec. 20, 2014. We found a positive correlation among verbal abuse experience, emotional coping style and stress during clinical practicum; a positive correlation among problem coping style, emotional coping style and resilience; a positive correlation among emotional coping style, emotional response and stress; a negative correlation among resilience and emotional response; a positive correlation among emotional response and stress during clinical practicum. The highest impact factors affecting the emotional response was emotional coping style(
nursing student;verbal abuse;coping style;resilience;emotional response;practicum stress
Supported by : Kyongbuk Science College
- I. Galian-Munoz, B. Llor-Esteban, J. A. Ruiz-Hernandez, "User violence towards nursing staff in public hospitals", Rev Esp Salud Publica, Vol. 86, pp. 279-291, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1135-57272012000300007
- Mi-Jin Kim, Gyun-Young Kang, "The Convergence Study on the Relationship between the Job Stress and Mental Health of Nurses", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039
- N. Magnavita, T. Heponiemi, "Workplace violence against nursing students and nurses: an Italian experience", J Nursing Scholarship, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 203-210, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01392.x
- N. Magnavita, T. Heponiemi, "Violence towards health care workers in a Public Health Care Facility in Italy", a repeated cross-sectional study, BMC Health Serv Res, Vol. 12, pp. 108, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-12-108
- H. J. Park, H. S. Kang, K. H. Kim, H.J. Kwon, "Exposure to workplace violence and coping in Intensive Care Unit Nurses", The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 291-301, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2011.20.3.291
- Young-Hee Jeong, "Convergent approach of phenomenological methodology about Emergency Nurses' experience of hospital violence", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 63-75, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.063
- A. Aghajanloo, K. Nirumand-Zandi, Z. Safavi-Bayat, H. Alavi-Majd, "Clinical violence in nursing students" , Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 284-287, 2011.
- A1. Celebioglu, R. B. Akpinar, S. Kucukoglu, R. Engin, "Violence experienced by Turkish nursing students in clinical settings: their emotions and behaviors", Nurse Educ Today, Vol. 30, No. 7, pp. 687-691, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.01.006
- M. M. Rowe, H. J. Sherlock, "Stress and verbal abuse in nursing: do burned out nurses eat their young?", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 242-248, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2004.00533.x
- K. D. Nam, G. S. Yun, H. S. Jeong, S. A. Park, B. Y. Jang, H. R. Kim, H. S. Eum, Y.H. Sung, "A Study on the Development of Verbal Abuse scale for Operating room Nurses", Nursing Administration Journal, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 159-171. 2005.
- D. A. Infante, T. C. Sabourin, J.E. Rudd and E. A. Shannon, "Verbal Aggression in Violent and Nonviolent Marital Disputes", Communication Quarterly, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 361-371, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1080/01463379009369773
- A. R. Bae, "The relationships among verbal abuse experience, emotional response, coping and emotional intelligence in hospital nurses". Kyungsang University, master's thesis, 2012.
- S. Y. Han, Y. M. Lee, "The Relationship between Anxiety, Anger and Fatigue among Stress factor of Nursing Students in Clinical Practice", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 554-561, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.554
- J. K. Goh, "The differences of stressors at grade and ways of coping in nursing students", Health Communication. Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 79-86, 2010.
- T. M, Stephens. "Nursing student resilience: a concept clarification. Nursing Forum", Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 125-133, 2015.
- J. A. Park, E. K. Lee, "Influence of ego-resilience and stress coping styles on college adaptation in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 267-276, 2011.
- Y.H. Joe, Y. L. Hong, A. M. Lee, M. K. Kim, H. J. Lee, A. K. Han, E. J. Kim, "Experience of verbal abuse, emotional response, and ways to deal with verbal abuse against nurses in hospital", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 270-278, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.270
- Y. J. Lee, "Future Environment: Environmental Technology Development Institute Proceedings", pp. 317-338, 2010.
- H. J. Kwon, H. S. Kim, K. S. Choe, K. S. Lee, Y. H. Sung, "A Study on Verbal Abuse Experienced at Medical Centers", Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 113-124, 2007.
- M. Dumont, M. A. Provost, "Resilience in adolescents: protective role of social support, coping strategies, self-esteem, social activities on experience of stress and depression", J Youth Adolesc, Vol. 28, pp. 343-363, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021637011732
- H. N. Lee, H. J. Jeong, K. H. Lee. H. J. Lee, "The Relationship among Stress Perception, Stress Coping, Ego-resilience and Happiness of University Students", The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 701-713, 2006.
- R. Lazarus, R. Folkman, "Stress, Appraisal and Coping", NY: Behavioral Science Books, 1984.
- S, J. Jang, "Relationship between experience of patients' violent behaviors and burnout of psychiatric nurses", Seoul National University, Master's Thesis, 2004.
- J. K Ku, "The effect of verbal abuses on casino dealers' burnout, job satisfaction, and employee turn over-Focusing on the moderating effect of anger control mechanism", Kyonggi University, Doctoral thesis, 2007.
- Report on women and men workers' consciousness about sex Female, Korea Womenlink, 1998. labor center.
- S, K. Yu, H. W. Sim, "Psychological protective factors in resilient adolescents in Korea", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 189-206. 2002.
- M. L. Lanza, "The reactios of nursing step to physical assault patients", Hospital Community Psychiatry, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 44-47, 1988.
- J. S. Yun, "A study on job satisfaction and violence experience by ED Nurses", Industrial Technology University of Ulsan, Master's Thesis, 2004.
- D. L. Beck, R. Srivastsva, "Perceived level and sources of stress in baccalaureate Nursing Students", Journal of Nursing education, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 127-133, 1991.
- S. L. Kim, J. E. Lee, "Relationship among stress coping strategies, and self - esteem in nursing students taking clinical experience", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp 98-106, 2005.
- J. Block, A. M. Kremen, "IQ and ego-resiliency: Conceptual and empirical connections separateness", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 70, pp. 349-361, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119