- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Photography as a research tool for studying human psychology: Photos of friendship as an example
인간 심리에 대한 연구도구로서의 사진: 우정 사진을 예로
- Moon, Kyoung-Suk (Dept. of Education, Wonkwang University)
- 문경숙 (원광대학교 교육학과)
- Received : 2015.11.16
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.28
For the past half century, researches on human psychology have witnessed the flourish of various research tools in this area. Many psychological measures were developed to get objectified data and this trend has lead to the abundance of quantified results. However, considering subjectiveness and refinements of human experience, the research focused on individual's unique perspectives and explanations is needed also. In this vein, this study proposed the usefulness of photography as a research tool for human psychology. With the wide spread of smart phone, taking photo became the everyday activity for modern people and also a part of a public art. If photo could play an efficient and unique role to study human psychology, the depth and width of human understanding might change dramatically in positive way. Two friendship photos were presented to suggest the possibility of photo as a research tool and final considerations of using photo were suggested briefly.
human psychology;research tool;photography;friendship;subjective experience
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- P. Tinkler, Using photographs in social and historical research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2013.
- J. Kim, & Y, Kim, An inquiry on the educational power of the photograph from Walter Benjamin's perspective. Anthropology of Education, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 103-135, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17318/jae.2009.12.2.004
- G. Rose, Visual methodologies(3rd Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. 2012.
- S. Pink(Ed.), Advances in visual methodology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2012.
- M, Kim, & Y. Tschong, Meaning and value of photography in education. The Journal of Korean Educational Idea, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 47-63, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17283/jkedi.2010.24.3.47
- L. Longoria, & I. Marini, Perceptions of children's attitudes toward peers with a sever physical disability. Journal of Rehabilitation, Vol. 72, No. 3, pp. 19-26, 2006.
- M. P. Allen, Momentum: A photo essay of the transgender community in the United States over 30 years, 1978-2007. Sexuality Research & Social Policy, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 92-104, 2007.
- P. F. Casy, & S. J. Dollinger, College students' alcohol-related problems: An autophotographic approach. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 8-25, 2007.
- D. Schwartz, Visual ethnography: Using photography in qualitative research. Qualitative Sociology, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 119-154, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00988995
- H. Kwon, Examining the possibility of using photography as tool for multicultural communication. The Journal of Yeolin Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 227-247, 2011.
- Y. Choi, Photography as a research method for qualitative inquiry in early childhood education. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 89-113, 2005.
- D. Harper, Talking about pictures: A case for photo elicitation. Visual Studies, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 13-26, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/14725860220137345
- S. Kim, & H. Ahn, A study on a photo education program for improving self-esteem and self-expression of the youth: A case of LTP. Journal of Art Education, Vol. 42. pp. 149-180, 2015.
- K. Rubin, W. Bukowski, & J. C., Bowker, Children in peer groups. In M. C. Bornstein, & T. Leventhal(Eds.), Ecological settings and processes. Volume 4 of the Handbook of child psychology and developmental science(7th ed., pp. 175-222). Editor-in-Chief: R. M. Lerner. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2015.
- J. R. Brauer, & J. De Coster, Social relationships and delinquencyL Revisiting parent and peer influence during adolescence. Youth and Society, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 374-394, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0044118X12467655
- K. H. Rubin, B. Fredstrom, & J. Bowker, Future directions in friendship in childhood and early adolescence. Social Development, Vol. 17, pp. 1085-1096, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9507.2007.00445.x
- W. Hartup, & N. Stevens, Friendships and adaptation in the life course. Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 121, pp. 355-370, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.121.3.355
- T. J. Dishion, G. R.. Patterson, M. Stoolmiller, & M. L. Skinner, Family, school, and behavioral antecedents to early adolescent involvement with antisocial peers. Developmental Psychology, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 172-180, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16126.96.36.199
- S. Oh, & S. Lee, The relations between theory of mind and bullying/defending behaviors among adolescents: Moderation effect of callousunemotional traits. Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 149-169. 2011.
- D. Kim, & K. Lee, Relation between peer status and aggressiveness in elementary school students: Focused on likeability and popularity. The Journal of Elementary Education, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 175-194, 2010.
- A. M. Ryan, The peer group as a context for the development of young adolescent motivation and achievement. Child Development, Vol. 72, No. 4, pp. 1135-1150, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00338
- E. R. Altermatt, Capitalizing on academic success: Students' interactions with friends as predictors of school adjustment. Journal of Early Adolescence, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 174-203, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431610379414
- K. C. McLean & M. Pasupathi, Process of identity development: Where I am and how I got there. Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research, Vol. 12, pp. 8-28, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/15283488.2011.632363
- Y. Choi, & S. Shin, Getting closer to children's everyday life through photo-interview. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 129-152, 2013.
- E.-H. Park, H.-S. Kim, & J.-O. Kim. The effect of convergence action learning techniques in simulation class. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6., No. 5, pp. 241-248. 2015.
- Y.-A. Jung. A study on the education model for information literacy improvement of multi-cultural family children. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 15-20. 2011.