- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Nursing Jobs and Gender in our age of convergence: Research on Male Nurses
융복합시대의 간호직과 성: 남자간호사에 대한 연구
- Shin, Ja Hyun (Department of Nursing, Graduate School Chonbuk National University) ;
- Seo, Myoung Hee (Division of Infectious Diseases, Chonbuk National University Hospital) ;
- Lee, Myung In (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- Received : 2015.12.17
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.28
This research paper is of a 'mixed method' research design: the quantitative analysis covering general data and the current condition of male nurses, the qualitative analysis being used on interview transcript data. The research subjects are 19 male nurses who work at a hospital and 29 female nurses who are doing Masters degrees in "J" province of the Republic of Korea. The data collection period was March 25 to April 1, 2015. The quantitative data was analyzed with SPSS WIN 19.0 software while the qualitative data was analyzed according to the 'contents analysis' method. The results show that the satisfaction of male participants in their profession is higher than average. The item 'growth as a professional' was rated highest as a satisfying aspect of working as a nurse. A difference was observed in the points of view of male and female participants, however, both male and female nurses have a positive view of male nurses which over comes traditional stereotypes. These results will be used to establish a positive image of nurses across genders.
Male Nurses;Job satisfaction;Mixed Method Research Design;Image;Gender
- S. H. Jeon, "A Study of the Strategical Framework for the Confusionence with Methodology of Engineering & the Humanities. Ph.D. dissertation", p.15, Hannam University, 2012.
- "2015 Revised curriculum", http://goo.gl/sXLrGu (October 14, 2015)
- E. H. Park, H. R. Park, H. S. Kim, "Approaches to Convergence Curriculum for Healthcare-Affiliated Students with Clinical Competence Assessment Program", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 76-86, 2015.
- G. Oh, M. Lee, "An Internship Experience to Convergence Program for Undergraduated Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 173-185, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.173
- H. K.. Yoon, J. H. Choi, E. Y. Lee, H. Y. Lee, M. J. Park, "Effects of Decision Making Competency, Nursing Professionalism, and Job Satisfaction on Turnover Impulse among Nurses. Korean Academy Administration", Vol. 19, No. 5, pp.658-667, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.658
- E. S. An, S. K. Chu, "Study on Male Nurses' Gender Stereotype and Job Satisfaction. Korean Academy Administration", Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.22-32, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.22
- H. Wee, Y. R. Park, M. S. Song, "High School Boys' Images of Men as Nurses. Korean Acad Fundam Nurs", Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.118-128, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.118
- M. K. Ahn, M. H. Lee, H. Y. Kim, S. H. Jeong, "Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention among Male Nurses. Korean Academy Administration", Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.203-211, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.203
- K. J. Lee, M. Y. Kim, "The Relationship of Gender Role Conflict and Job Satisfaction upon Organizational Commitment in Male Nurses. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing", Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.46-57, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.1.46 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.1.46
- K. H. Ahn, "Analysis of the Work Experiences of Male Nurses, Master's thesis", Pusan National University, p60, 2008.
- E. S. Ahn. "Study on male nurses' Gender stereotype and Job satisfaction. Master's thesis", Eulji University, p64, 2010.
- S. Y. Lee, "A Study on job satisfaction and intentions of turn over of male nurses. Master's thesis", Hanyang University, p86, 2004.
- M. S. Youn, "The study for Nurse Image and Job Recognition about Male Nurse of Male Students in Nursing. Holistic Health Science", Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.95-106, 2012.
- K. S. Chung, "Korea male nurses state" http://www.nursenews.co.kr (October 31, 2015)
- E. S. An, S. K, Chu, "Study on Male Nurses' Gender Stereotype and Job Satisfaction, Korean Academy Administration", Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.14-21, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.14
- H. S. Park, H. J. Ha, M. H. Lee, "The Relationship among Gender-Role Identity, Gender Stereotype, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention of Male Nurses Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol. 15, No. 5, pp.2962-2970, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2962 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2962
- Y. R. Park, "The Adaptation Process of Male Students in Colleges of Nursing. Korean Acad Fundam Nurs", Vol. 16, No. 4, pp.449-458, 2009.
- Lou JH, Yu HY, Hsu HY, Dai HD, "A study of role stress, organizational commitment and intention to quit among male nurses in Southern Taiwan. Journal of Nursing Research", Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.43-53, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JNR.0000387598.40156.d2
- Fisher MJ, "Being a chameleon: Labour processes of male nurses performing bodywork. Journal of Advanced Nursing", Vol. 65, No. 12, pp.2668-2677, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05120.x
- Poliafico JK, "Nursing's gender gap. RN", Vol. 61, No. 10, pp.39-42, 1998.
- M. S. Youn, "The study for Nurse Image and Job Recognition about Male Nurse of Male Students in Nursing. Holistic Health Science", Vol. 12 No. 2, pp.95-106. 2012.
- K. H. Ahn, J. M. Seo, S. K. Hwang, "Content Analysis of Male Hospital Nurses' Experiences, Journal of Adult Nursing", Vol. 21, No. 6, pp.652-665, 2009. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE01544571
- J. M. Park, "Report of untapped human resources - Past and Present. The Korean Nurse", Vol. 42, No. 5, pp.16-17, 2003.
- J. M. Park, "750 people 300 working activities of the licensee anesthesia, surgery, emergency room, etc. use field. The Korean Nurse", Vol. 42, No. 5, pp.10-13, 2003.
- J. Evans, "Men in Nursing issues of gender segregation and hidden advantage. Journal of Advanced Nursing", Vol. 26, No. 2, pp.226-231, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1997.1997026226.x
- J. K. Poliafico, "Nursing's gender gap. RN", Vol. 61, No. 10, pp.39-42, 1980.
- Mclaughlin, K., Muldoon, O. T., Moutray, M., "Gender, gender roles and completion of nursing education: A longitudinal study Nurse Education Today", Vol. 30, pp.303-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.08.005
- J. K. Chung, "An Androgynous Approach to the Study of Sex Roles. Journal of Korean Women's Studies", Vol. 3, pp. 132-170, 1987.
- Y. H. Kim, "Study on Relationship between Sex Role Identity Type and Learned Helplessness of Korean Youths, Sookmyung Women's University. Ph.D. dissertation", p.140, 1989.
- Y. J. Mun, "A Study on the perception of nursing, male nurses, and nursing as possible career consideration", Gyeongsang National University of Korea, 2010.
- S. A. Park, E. K. Jo, "Male Gender Role and Adjustment of Korean Men. Korean Health Psychological Association", Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.77-103, 2002.
- Mcmillian, J., Morgan, S. A., & Ament. P., "Acceptance of male 58 registered nurses by female registered nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship", Vol. 38, No. 1, pp.100-106, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2006.00066.x
- H. J. Kim, "Job Stress and Satisfaction among Male Nurses in Daeg. Yeungnam University, Master's. dissertation", p.69, 2010.
- Fisher, M. J., "Sex role characteristics of male in nursing. A Journal for the Australian Nursing Profession", Vol. 8, No. 3, pp.65-71, 1995.
- Lawler, E. E., "Satisfaction and behavior. Motivation and work behavior", pp.332-345, 1983.
- J. H. Choi, "Related Factors the Job Satisfaction, Burnout and Turnover Intention of Male Nurses. master's dissertation,", Dong-A University, p.59, 2011.
- M. Y. Kim, "An Exploratory Study of Masculinity in Nursing. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research", Vol.15, No.2, pp.37-46. 2009.
- G.G. Moon, "Mr. Nightingale, gimmyoung publishers", 2014.
- Impact of Superior's Ethical Leadership as Perceived by Nurses on Nursing Performance: Mediating Effect of Faith in Supervisor vol.23, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.5.483