- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect and Its Potential Determinants of Cross-Media Advertising between Online and Offline Media
온-오프라인 교차광고의 효과와 영향요인에 관한 연구
- Jo, Si-Nae (Dept. of PR & Advertising, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Han, Kyoo-Hoon (Dept. of PR & Advertising, Sookmyung Women's University)
- Received : 2016.01.07
- Accepted : 2016.03.20
- Published : 2016.03.28
As the media environment surrounding us has changed rapidly, the influences of traditional media decrease whereas promotions using new media have been developing remarkably, Under this circumstance, cross-media advertising, which strategically integrates advertisements on multiple media, is getting attention as an effective marketing communication approach. This study investigated consumer responses to cross-media advertising using both online and offline media, focusing on the effects of product involvement, attributes of media connection, and gender. The experiment was conducted towards adult consumers aged 20 to 39. Results confirmed that the interaction effect between product involvement and attributes of media connection on brand attitude and behavioral intention was significant by a moderating role of gender. Based on the results from this study, both theoretical and practical implications were discussed, as were directions for future research.
cross-media advertising;digital media;product involvement;gender effect;advertising effectiveness
- P. McAllister & J. Turow, "New media and the commercial sphere: Two interesting trends, five categories of concerns", Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 505-514, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4604_1
- C. W. Oh, S. S. Oh & N. S. Park, "Advertising agency employees' perception of the features, roles and effects of cross-media representative system", Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 79-100, 2007.
- Dentsu Cross-media Project Team, "Cross Switch", Seoul: Nanam, 2009.
- I. K. Shin, "The beginning of IMC: Cross-media marketing communication strategies". Marketing, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 53-58, 2011.
- K. R. Lee, "Effects of cross-media advertising campaign on advertising and brand engagement and purchase intention between television and Internet banner ads", Korean Journal of Communication Studies, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 67-90, 2010.
- R. Briggs, "Advertising on the web: Is there response before click-through?", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 33-45, 2002.
- H. Y. Ha, "Factors influencing consumer perceptions of brand trust online", Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 329-342, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420410554412
- A. Wang, "Cross channel integration of advertising: Does personal involvement matter?", Management Research News, Vol. 32, No. 9, pp. 858-873, 2007.
- Y. J. Lee & J. M. You, "When TV advertisements meet Internet search boxes: The effects of cross-media advertisements", Korea Marketing Review, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-24, 2010.
- Korea Federation of Advertising Associations, "Media and Consumer Trends Report", 2012.
- J. H. Antil, "Conceptualization and operationalization of involvement", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp. 203-209, 1984.
- J. L. Zaichkowsky, "Measuring of the Involvement Construct", Journal of Consumer Research. Vol. 36, No. 12, pp. 341-352, 1985.
- R. E. Petty, J. T. Cacioppo & D. P. Schumann, "Central and peripheral routes to advertising effectiveness: The moderating role of involvement", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 40-65, 1983.
- R. E. Petty & J. T. Cacioppo, "Communication and persuasion: Central and peripheral routes to attitude change", Springer-Verlag, 1986.
- R. H. Ducoffe, "Advertising value and advertising on the web", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 21-35, 1996.
- P. S. Chen & L. M. Hitt, "Measuring switching costs and the determinants of customer retention in Internet-enabled businesses: A study of the online brokerage industry", Information Systems Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 255-274, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.126.96.36.199
- C. J. Jeong, "A study on the advertising creative based on the technology convergence", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 235-241, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.235
- J. W. Lee & T. H. Oh, "A study on the impact of advertising attributions on attitude toward advertising, cognitive brand and attitude toward brand", Journal of Business Education, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 361-384, 2009.
- L. F. Alwitt & P. R. Prabhaker, "Functional and belief dimensions of attitude to television advertising: Implications for copytesting", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 17-29, 1994.
- G. Bruner & A. Kumer, "Web commercials and advertising research", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 23-32, 2000.
- I. Maignan & B. A. Lukas, "The nature and social uses of the internet: A qualitative investigation", Journal of Consumer Affairs, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 346-371, 1997.
- E. Y. Choi & S. J. Doh, "The roles of Internet use motivation and ability, advertising perception, and general attitude toward advertising in the Internet advertising avoidance", Korean Journal of Advertising & Public Relations, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 171-197, 2011.
- R. Batra & M. B. Holbrook, "Developing a typology of affective responses to advertising", Psychology & Marketing, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 11-25, 1990 https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.4220070103
- J. Meyers-Levy & B. Sternthal, "Gender differences in the use of message cues and judgment', Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 35, No. 28, pp. 84-96, 1991.
- M. B. Holbrook, "Aims concepts, and methods for the representation of individual differences in esthetics responses to design features", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 25, No. 13, pp. 337-347, 1986.
- F. Sistrunk & J. W. McDavid, "Sex variable in conforming behavior", Journal of Personalty & Social Psychology, Vol. 20, No. 17, pp. 200-207, 1971. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0031698
- E. Garbarino & M. S. Johnson, "The different roles of satisfaction, trust, and commitment in customer relationships", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 63, No. 2, pp. 70-87, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251946