- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The awareness level and needs for education on reducing sugar consumption among mothers with preschool children
- Lee, Younhee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Joo, Nami (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sookmyung Women's University)
- Received : 2015.08.26
- Accepted : 2015.12.07
- Published : 2016.04.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study was to find out the level of knowledge on sugar-related nutrition among mothers with preschool children. SUBJECTS/METHODS: The study conducted a survey on 350 mothers whose children attended daycare. The dietary lives of the children and the nutritional knowledge of the mothers on sugar were checked. In order to analyze results, SPSS 18.0 was used. ANOVA and t-test were also performed to analyze recognition and educational needs. RESULTS: When the degree of nutritional knowledge was measured and analyzed, the results showed about 11 average points out of 15. The higher a group's nutritional knowledge, the better the dietary habits and activities were and the activities were more ccommon. The group with a low level of nutritional knowledge consumed more foods with high sugar content, but this difference was not statistically significant. Also the children from the group of mothers that provided nutritional education to their children were more likely to engage in better dietary habits and activities. CONCLUSIONS: 66.5% respondents did not know about policies to reduce sugar consumption, but most indicated that education on reducing sugar consumption is needed. Therefore, a government-driven search for efficient methods to campaign and publicize sugar reduction is needed in order to continuously provide appropriate education.
Sugar consumption;preschool children;education awareness;education demand;sugar reducation
Supported by : Sookmyung Women's University
- Kim MJ. Investigation analysis on the amount of the Added sugar used at secondary school foodservice [master's thesis]. Seoul: Konkuk University; 2009.
- Yu NH, Kim MJ, Han JS. A study on the food intake frequency, dietary habits and nutrition knowledge of middle school students who like sweets in Busan. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2007;36:735-44. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.6.735
- Kim JN, Park S, Ahn S, Kim HK. A survey on the salt content of kindergarten lunch meals and meal providers' dietary attitude to sodium intake in Gyeonggi-do area. Korean J Community Nutr 2013;18:478-90. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2013.18.5.478
- Pyun JS, Lee KH. Study on the correlation between the dietary habits of mothers and their preschoolers and the mother's need for nutritional education for preschoolers. J Korean Diet Assoc 2010;16:62-76.
- Lee JS, Choi YS, Bae BS. Association between nutritional knowledge and dietary behaviors of middle school children and their mothers. Korean J Nutr 2011;44:140-51. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2011.44.2.140
- Lee JH, Kang EJ, Kim C. The Difference of perception about nutritional problems and food intakes, nutrition knowledge score and realities of nutrition education between parents and preschool teachers. Korean J Community Nutr 2011;16:636-46. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.6.636
- Jung HR, Park YB, Lee MJ, Kim KC, Kim JB, Kim DH, Kang SH, Park IB, Park JS, Kwon KI, Kim MH. A survey on sugar intake in meals from nursery schools in Gyeonggi-do. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2011;43:182-8. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.2.182
- Kang JH. The Correlation Analysis of Sugars Excess-Intake and Obesity or Chronic Diseases and the Development of Sugar-Reduction Model. Cheongju: National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation; 2013
- Kwon KI, Yoon SW, Kim SJ, Kang H, Kim HN, Kim JY, Kim SY, Kim K, Lee JH, Jung SM, Ock SW, Lee EJ, Kim JW, Kim MC, Park HK. A survey on customers' perceptions of nutrition labeling for processed food and restaurant meal. Korean J Nutr 2010;43:181-8. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.2.181
- Heo GJ, Nam SY, Lee SK, Chung SJ, Yoon JH. The relationship between high energy/low nutrient food consumption and obesity among Korean children and adolescents. Korean J Community Nutr 2012;17:226-42. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.2.226
- Kim JS. Development and evaluation of a nutrition education program for reducing sugar intake among adolescents [master's thesis]. Yongin: Myongji University; 2014.
- Lee HS. In-depth Analysis on the Dietary Intake Survey of Infant, Children and Adolescents (II). Cheongju: National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation; 2010.
- Choi MH, Kwon KI, Kim JY, Lee JS, Kim JW, Park HK, Kim MC, Kim GH. Safety management of children's foods: dietary intakes of total sugar and monitoring of total sugar contents in foods. Safe Food 2008;3:22-9.
- Kang SA, Lee JW, Kim KE, Koo JO, Park DY. A study of the frequency of food purchase for snacking and its related ecological factors on elementary school children. Korean J Community Nutr 2004;9:453-63.