- Volume 10 Issue 2
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) has been shown to generally decrease levels of innate immune markers and inflammatory cytokines, but the specific associations between blood levels of PUFAs and those of innate immune markers have not been investigated. Thus, the present study was conducted to test the hypothesis that innate immune markers as well as cytokines are negatively associated with n-3 PUFAs but positively associated with n-6 PUFAs in healthy adults. MATERIALS/METHODS: One hundred sixty-five healthy Korean adults aged 25-70 years old were included in this cross-sectional study. RESULTS: Serum levels of n-3 PUFAs, such as 18:3n3, 20:5n3, 22:5n3, and 22:6n3 were negatively correlated with eosinophil and basophil counts and
Cytokine;adult;immune marker;fatty acid;serum
- Delves PJ, Roitt IM. The immune system. First of two parts. N Engl J Med 2000;343:37-49. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200007063430107
- Mire-Sluis AR. Cytokines: from technology to therapeutics. Trends Biotechnol 1999;17:319-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7799(99)01330-X
- Calder PC. Marine omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: Effects, mechanisms and clinical relevance. Biochim Biophys Acta 2015;1851:469-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbalip.2014.08.010
- Perreault M, Roke K, Badawi A, Nielsen DE, Abdelmagid SA, El-Sohemy A, Ma DW, Mutch DM. Plasma levels of 14:0, 16:0, 16:1n-7, and 20:3n-6 are positively associated, but 18:0 and 18:2n-6 are inversely associated with markers of inflammation in young healthy adults. Lipids 2014;49:255-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-013-3874-3
- Grenon SM, Conte MS, Nosova E, Alley H, Chong K, Harris WS, Vittinghoff E, Owens CD. Association between n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid content of red blood cells and inflammatory biomarkers in patients with peripheral artery disease. J Vasc Surg 2013;58:1283-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2013.05.024
- Steffen BT, Steffen LM, Tracy R, Siscovick D, Jacobs D, Liu K, He K, Hanson NQ, Nettleton JA, Tsai MY. Ethnicity, plasma phospholipid fatty acid composition and inflammatory/endothelial activation biomarkers in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Eur J Clin Nutr 2012;66:600-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2011.215
- Kelley DS, Taylor PC, Nelson GJ, Schmidt PC, Ferretti A, Erickson KL, Yu R, Chandra RK, Mackey BE. Docosahexaenoic acid ingestion inhibits natural killer cell activity and production of inflammatory mediators in young healthy men. Lipids 1999;34:317-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-999-0369-5
- Browning LM, Krebs JD, Moore CS, Mishra GD, O'Connell MA, Jebb SA. The impact of long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on inflammation, insulin sensitivity and CVD risk in a group of overweight women with an inflammatory phenotype. Diabetes Obes Metab 2007;9:70-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1326.2006.00576.x
- Kang JX, Weylandt KH. Modulation of inflammatory cytokines by omega-3 fatty acids. Subcell Biochem 2008;49:133-43.
- Rasmussen LB, Kiens B, Pedersen BK, Richter EA. Effect of diet and plasma fatty acid composition on immune status in elderly men. Am J Clin Nutr 1994;59:572-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.3.572
- Rees D, Miles EA, Banerjee T, Wells SJ, Roynette CE, Wahle KW, Calder PC. Dose-related effects of eicosapentaenoic acid on innate immune function in healthy humans: a comparison of young and older men. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;83:331-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/83.2.331
- Yamamoto T, Kajikawa Y, Otani S, Yamada Y, Takemoto S, Hirota M, Ikeda M, Iwagaki H, Saito S, Fujiwara T. Protective effect of eicosapentaenoic acid on insulin resistance in hyperlipidemic patients and on the postoperative course of cardiac surgery patients: the possible involvement of adiponectin. Acta Med Okayama 2014;68:349-61.
- Harris WS, von Schacky C, Park Y. Chapter 19. Standardizing methods for assessing omega-3 fatty acid biostatus. In: McNamara RK, editor. The Omega-3 Fatty Acid Deficiency Syndrome: Opportunities for Disease Prevention. New York (NY): Nova Science Publishers, Inc.; 2013. p.385-98.
- Cho E. Association between serum fatty acid composition and innate immune markers in healthy adults [master's thesis]. Seoul: Hanyang University; 2015.
- Mayer K, Meyer S, Reinholz-Muhly M, Maus U, Merfels M, Lohmeyer J, Grimminger F, Seeger W. Short-time infusion of fish oil-based lipid emulsions, approved for parenteral nutrition, reduces monocyte proinflammatory cytokine generation and adhesive interaction with endothelium in humans. J Immunol 2003;171:4837-43. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.171.9.4837
- Hodge L, Salome CM, Hughes JM, Liu-Brennan D, Rimmer J, Allman M, Pang D, Armour C, Woolcock AJ. Effect of dietary intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids on severity of asthma in children. Eur Respir J 1998;11:361-5. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.98.11020361
- Burns JS, Dockery DW, Neas LM, Schwartz J, Coull BA, Raizenne M, Speizer FE. Low dietary nutrient intakes and respiratory health in adolescents. Chest 2007;132:238-45. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.07-0038
- Kompauer I, Demmelmair H, Koletzko B, Bolte G, Linseisen J, Heinrich J. Association of fatty acids in serum phospholipids with lung function and bronchial hyperresponsiveness in adults. Eur J Epidemiol 2008;23:175-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-007-9218-y
- Falcone FH, Haas H, Gibbs BF. The human basophil: a new appreciation of its role in immune responses. Blood 2000;96:4028-38.
- Jin M, Park S, Park BK, Choi JJ, Yoon SJ, Yang M, Pyo MY. Eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid suppress Th2 cytokine expression in RBL-2H3 basophilic leukemia cells. J Med Food 2014;17:198-205. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2013.2935
- Bochner BS, Luscinskas FW, Gimbrone MA Jr, Newman W, Sterbinsky SA, Derse-Anthony CP, Klunk D, Schleimer RP. Adhesion of human basophils, eosinophils, and neutrophils to interleukin 1-activated human vascular endothelial cells: contributions of endothelial cell adhesion molecules. J Exp Med 1991;173:1553-7. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.173.6.1553
- Ferrucci L, Cherubini A, Bandinelli S, Bartali B, Corsi A, Lauretani F, Martin A, Andres-Lacueva C, Senin U, Guralnik JM. Relationship of plasma polyunsaturated fatty acids to circulating inflammatory markers. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;91:439-46. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2005-1303
- Maes M, Christophe A, Bosmans E, Lin A, Neels H. In humans, serum polyunsaturated fatty acid levels predict the response of proinflammatory cytokines to psychologic stress. Biol Psychiatry 2000;47:910-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3223(99)00268-1
- Zampelas A, Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, Das UN, Chrysohoou C, Skoumas Y, Stefanadis C. Fish consumption among healthy adults is associated with decreased levels of inflammatory markers related to cardiovascular disease: the ATTICA study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;46:120-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2005.03.048
- Niu K, Hozawa A, Kuriyama S, Ohmori-Matsuda K, Shimazu T, Nakaya N, Fujita K, Tsuji I, Nagatomi R. Dietary long-chain n-3 fatty acids of marine origin and serum C-reactive protein concentrations are associated in a population with a diet rich in marine products. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:223-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/84.1.223
- Meydani SN, Endres S, Woods MM, Goldin BR, Soo C, Morrill-Labrode A, Dinarello CA, Gorbach SL. Oral (n-3) fatty acid supplementation suppresses cytokine production and lymphocyte proliferation:comparison between young and older women. J Nutr 1991;121:547-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.4.547
- Petersson H, Lind L, Hulthe J, Elmgren A, Cederholm T, Riserus U. Relationships between serum fatty acid composition and multiple markers of inflammation and endothelial function in an elderly population. Atherosclerosis 2009;203:298-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.06.020
- Calder PC, Ahluwalia N, Brouns F, Buetler T, Clement K, Cunningham K, Esposito K, Jonsson LS, Kolb H, Lansink M, Marcos A, Margioris A, Matusheski N, Nordmann H, O'Brien J, Pugliese G, Rizkalla S, Schalkwijk C, Tuomilehto J, Warnberg J, Watzl B, Winklhofer-Roob BM. Dietary factors and low-grade inflammation in relation to overweight and obesity. Br J Nutr 2011;106 Suppl 3:S5-78. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114511005460
- Priante G, Bordin L, Musacchio E, Clari G, Baggio B. Fatty acids and cytokine mRNA expression in human osteoblastic cells: a specific effect of arachidonic acid. Clin Sci (Lond) 2002;102:403-9. https://doi.org/10.1042/cs1020403
- Ferretti A, Nelson GJ, Schmidt PC, Kelley DS, Bartolini G, Flanagan VP. Increased dietary arachidonic acid enhances the synthesis of vasoactive eicosanoids in humans. Lipids 1997;32:435-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-997-0057-5
- Innis SM. Perinatal biochemistry and physiology of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Pediatr 2003;143 Suppl:S1-8.
- Pischon T, Hankinson SE, Hotamisligil GS, Rifai N, Willett WC, Rimm EB. Habitual dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids in relation to inflammatory markers among US men and women. Circulation 2003;108:155-60. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000079224.46084.C2
- Fritsche KL. Too much linoleic acid promotes inflammation-doesn't it? Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2008;79:173-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2008.09.019
- Lee JY, Zhao L, Hwang DH. Modulation of pattern recognition receptor-mediated inflammation and risk of chronic diseases by dietary fatty acids. Nutr Rev 2010;68:38-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00259.x
- Mozaffarian D, Rimm EB, King IB, Lawler RL, McDonald GB, Levy WC. trans fatty acids and systemic inflammation in heart failure. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;80:1521-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/80.6.1521
- Lopez-Garcia E, Schulze MB, Meigs JB, Manson JE, Rifai N, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Hu FB. Consumption of trans fatty acids is related to plasma biomarkers of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction. J Nutr 2005;135:562-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/135.3.562
- Bendsen NT, Stender S, Szecsi PB, Pedersen SB, Basu S, Hellgren LI, Newman JW, Larsen TM, Haugaard SB, Astrup A. Effect of industrially produced trans fat on markers of systemic inflammation: evidence from a randomized trial in women. J Lipid Res 2011;52:1821-8. https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.M014738
- De Caterina R, Liao JK, Libby P. Fatty acid modulation of endothelial activation. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71 Suppl:213S-223S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.1.213S
- Zong G, Ye X, Sun L, Li H, Yu Z, Hu FB, Sun Q, Lin X. Associations of erythrocyte palmitoleic acid with adipokines, inflammatory markers, and the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese. Am J Clin Nutr 2012;96:970-6. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.040204
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation