- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Onion peel extract reduces the percentage of body fat in overweight and obese subjects: a 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
- Lee, Ji-Sook ;
- Cha, Yong-Jun ;
- Lee, Kyung-Hea ;
- Yim, Jung-Eun
- Received : 2015.01.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.28
- Published : 2016.04.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: The anti-obesity effect of quercetin-rich onion peel extract (OPE) was suggested in rats, but information from human studies is limited. This study aimed to investigate the effects of OPE on the body composition of overweight and obese subjects. MATERIALS/METHODS: In this 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, parallel clinical trials were performed in overweight and obese Korean subjects. Randomly assigned subjects were instructed to take daily either the placebo (male, 6 and female, 30) or OPE capsules containing 100 mg of quercetin (male, 5 and female, 31). Body composition was measured by using bioimpedance and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA). Resting energy expenditure (REE) and respiratory quotient (RQ) were evaluated by using indirect calorie measurement methods. Fasting blood levels of glucose, insulin, lipids, and leptin were determined. RESULTS: Quercetin-rich OPE supplementation significantly reduced the weight and percentage of body fat as measured by DXA (P = 0.02). These effects were not shown in the control group. Levels of blood glucose (P = 0.04) and leptin (P = 0.001 for placebo, P = 0.002 for OPE) decreased in both groups. Significant increases in REE and RQ were observed in both groups (P = 0.003 for placebo, P = 0.006 for OPE) and in the OPE group alone (P = 0.02), respectively. CONCLUSIONS: Quercetin-rich OPE supplementation changed the body composition of the overweight and obese subjects. This result suggests a beneficial role of the anti-obesity effect of OPE human subjects.
Overweight;obesity;onion peel extract;quercetin;body fat percent
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2009: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV-3). Cheongwon: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2010.
- Park YR, Cho YG, Kang JH, Park HA, Kim KW, Hur YI, Seo JS, Park NY. Comparison of obesity and overweight prevalence among Korean adults according to Community Health Survey and Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korean J Obes 2014;23:64-8. https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2014.23.1.64
- Amati F, Pennant M, Azuma K, Dube JJ, Toledo FG, Rossi AP, Kelley DE, Goodpaster BH. Lower thigh subcutaneous and higher visceral abdominal adipose tissue content both contribute to insulin resistance. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2012;20:1115-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2011.401
- Calle EE, Rodriguez C, Walker-Thurmond K, Thun MJ. Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults. N Engl J Med 2003;348:1625-38. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa021423
- Kannel WB, Cupples LA, Ramaswami R, Stokes J 3rd, Kreger BE, Higgins M. Regional obesity and risk of cardiovascular disease; the Framingham Study. J Clin Epidemiol 1991;44:183-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(91)90265-B
- Fujimoto WY, Bergstrom RW, Boyko EJ, Leonetti DL, Newell-Morris LL, Wahl PW. Susceptibility to development of central adiposity among populations. Obes Res 1995;3 Suppl 2:179S-186S. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1995.tb00461.x
- Bouchard C, Bray GA, Hubbard VS. Basic and clinical aspects of regional fat distribution. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;52:946-50. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/52.5.946
- Despres JP. The insulin resistance-dyslipidemic syndrome of visceral obesity: effect on patients' risk. Obes Res 1998;6 Suppl 1:8S-17S. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1998.tb00683.x
- Albu JB, Kovera AJ, Johnson JA. Fat distribution and health in obesity. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2000;904:491-501.
- Matsuzawa Y, Shimomura I, Nakamura T, Keno Y, Kotani K, Tokunaga K. Pathophysiology and pathogenesis of visceral fat obesity. Obes Res 1995;3 Suppl 2:187S-194S. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1995.tb00462.x
- Kahn BB, Flier JS. Obesity and insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 2000;106:473-81. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI10842
- McArdle WD, Kaith FI, Katch VL. Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance. 5th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001.
- Aleman-Mateo H, Salazar G, Hernandez-Triana M, Valencia ME. Total energy expenditure, resting metabolic rate and physical activity level in free-living rural elderly men and women from Cuba, Chile and Mexico. Eur J Clin Nutr 2006;60:1258-65. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602446
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2010: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-1). Cheongwon: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2011.
- Park JA, Kim KJ, Yoon JS. A comparison of energy intake and energy expenditure in normal-weight and over-weight Korean adults. Korean J Community Nutr 2004;9:285-91.
- Ra KS, Suh HJ, Chung SH, Son JY. Antioxidant activity of solvent extract from onion skin. Korean J Food Sci Technol 1997;29:595-600.
- Yang JL, Suh MJ, Song YS. Effects of dietary fibers on cholesterol metabolism in cholesterol-fed rats. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 1996;25:392-8.
- Griffiths G, Trueman L, Crowther T, Thomas B, Smith B. Onions--a global benefit to health. Phytother Res 2002;16:603-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1222
- Jung JY, Lim Y, Moon MS, Kim JY, Kwon O. Onion peel extracts ameliorate hyperglycemia and insulin resistance in high fat diet/streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2011;8:18-25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-8-18
- Chen JH, Chen HI, Wang JS, Tsai SJ, Jen CJ. Effects of Welsh onion extracts on human platelet function in vitro. Life Sci 2000;66:1571-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(00)00477-X
- Osmont KS, Arnt CR, Goldman IL. Temporal aspects of onioninduced antiplatelet activity. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2003;58:27-40. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024062330700
- Kim J, Cha YJ, Lee KH, Park E. Effect of onion peel extract supplementation on the lipid profile and antioxidative status of healthy young women: a randomized, placebo-controlled, doubleblind, crossover trial. Nutr Res Pract 2013;7:373-9. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2013.7.5.373
- Kang WY, Kim MY, Jin JY, Yang HK, Hong HJ, Kim DK, Han CH, Lee YJ. Anti-obesity effects of onion juice in high fat diet-induced obese rats. Korean J Vet Res 2010;50:1-10.
- Yang YK, Kim SP. The effect of onion extract intake for 12 weeks on blood lipid and obesity index in obese university women. Korean J Sports Sci 2013;22:955-62.
- Lee KH, Lee HJ, Park EJ, Jeon KI. Effect of onion extracts on serum lipid and antioxidant status in healthy university female. Korean J Community Nutr 2008;2:198.
- de Luis DA, Aller R, Izaola O, Gonzalez Sagrado M, Conde R. Resting energy expenditure, cardiovascular risk factors and insulin resistance in obese patients. Ann Nutr Metab 2005;49:381-5. https://doi.org/10.1159/000088890
- Broeder CE, Burrhus KA, Svanevik LS, Wilmore JH. The effects of either high-intensity resistance or endurance training on resting metabolic rate. Am J Clin Nutr 1992;55:802-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/55.4.802
- Kim WY, Cha JY. Energy expenditure in normal-weight and overweight Korean middle-aged women. Nutr Sci 2001;4:34-8.
- Filozof C, Gonzalez C. Predictors of weight gain: the biologicalbehavioural debate. Obes Rev 2000;1:21-6. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-789x.2000.00005.x
- Kelley DE, Mandarino LJ. Fuel selection in human skeletal muscle in insulin resistance: a reexamination. Diabetes 2000;49:677-83. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.49.5.677
- Park JA, Yoon JS. Dietary behaviors and status of nutrient intakes by the obesity levels of housewives in Daegu. Korean J Community Nutr 2005;10:623-32.
- Sluijs I, Beulens JW, van der A DL, Spijkerman AM, Grobbee DE, van der Schouw YT. Dietary intake of total, animal, and vegetable protein and risk of type 2 diabetes in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-NL study. Diabetes Care 2010;33:43-8. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1321
- Lee HJ, Lee KH, Park EJ, Jung HK. Effect of onion extracts on serum cholesterol in borderline hypercholesterolemic participants. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2010;39:1783-9. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1783
- Kamada C, da Silva EL, Ohnishi-Kameyama M, Moon JH, Terao J. Attenuation of lipid peroxidation and hyperlipidemia by quercetin glucoside in the aorta of high cholesterol-fed rabbit. Free Radic Res 2005;39:185-94. https://doi.org/10.1080/10715760400019638
- Kim JY, Seo YJ, Noh SK, Cha YJ. A concentrated onion extract lowers serum lipid levels in rats fed a high-fat diet. Korean J Food Preserv 2010;17:398-404.
- Cai Q, Rahn RO, Zhang R. Dietary flavonoids, quercetin, luteolin and genistein, reduce oxidative DNA damage and lipid peroxidation and quench free radicals. Cancer Lett 1997;119:99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00261-9
- Duthie SJ, Collins AR, Duthie GG, Dobson VL. Quercetin and myricetin protect against hydrogen peroxide-induced DNA damage (strand breaks and oxidised pyrimidines) in human lymphocytes. Mutat Res 1997;393:223-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(97)00107-1
- Blum WF, Englaro P, Hanitsch S, Juul A, Hertel NT, Muller J, Skakkebaek NE, Heiman ML, Birkett M, Attanasio AM, Kiess W, Rascher W. Plasma leptin levels in healthy children and adolescents: dependence on body mass index, body fat mass, gender, pubertal stage, and testosterone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997;82:2904-10.
- Kim DH, Kuk DH, Lee HY, Kim MG, Shin HJ. The effects of combined exercise on blood Inflammatory markers, leptin and adiponectin in middle aged women. Korean J Growth Dev 2010;18:25-30.
- Kim KD, Song YO, Back YH. Effects of belly dancing and nutritional education on body composition and serum lipids profiles of obese women in a study, 'obesity clinic projects at community healthcenter'. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2011;40:1417-22. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.10.1417
- The Effect of Onion Peel Extract on Inflammatory Mediators in Korean Overweight and Obese Women vol.5, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7762/cnr.2016.5.4.261
- The Beneficial Effects of Quercetin, Curcumin, and Resveratrol in Obesity vol.2017, pp.1942-0994, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1459497
- Hypothalamic Microglial Activation in Obesity: A Mini-Review vol.12, pp.1662-453X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2018.00846
- Molecular mechanisms of the anti-obesity effect of bioactive ingredients in common spices: a review vol.9, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1039/C8FO01349G
- Effects of Quercetin Metabolites on Triglyceride Metabolism of 3T3-L1 Preadipocytes and Mature Adipocytes vol.20, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms20020264
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology (IPET)