- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
RF Conductivity Measurement of Conductive Zell Fabric
- Nguyen, Tien Manh (Department of Electrical & Information Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Chung, Jae-Young (Department of Electrical & Information Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.09.07
- Accepted : 2015.11.18
- Published : 2016.01.31
This study presents a conductivity measurement technique that is applicable at radio frequencies (RF). Of particular interest is the measurement of the RF conductivity of a flexible Zell fabric, which is often used to implement wearable antennas on clothes. First, the transmission coefficient is measured using a planar microstrip ring resonator, where the ring is made of a Zell fabric. Then, the fabric's conductivity is determined by comparing the measured transmission coefficient to a set of simulation data. Specifically, a MATLAB-based root-searching algorithm is used to find the minimum of an error function composed of measured and simulation data. Several error functions have been tested, and the results showed that an error function employing only the magnitude of the transmission coefficient was the best for determining the conductivity. The effectiveness of this technique is verified by the measurement of a known copper foil before characterizing the Zell fabric. The conductivity of the Zell fabric at 2 GHz appears to be within the order of
Conductivity;Material Characterization;Ring Resonator;Zell Fabric
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- L. Zhang, Z. Wang, and J. L. Volakis, "Textile antennas and sensors for body-worn applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 1690-1693, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2013.2239956
- G. Monti, L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "UHF wearable rectenna on textile materials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 3869-3873, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2013.2254693
- N. M. Guillaume, M. W. Cresswell, R. A. Allen, S. Everist, and L. W. Linholm, "Comparison of sheet-resistance measurements obtained by standard and small-area four-point probing," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Microelectronics Test Structures (ICMTS), Goteborg, Germany, 1999, pp. 62-66.
- A. Mian, J. C. Suhling, and R. C. Jaeger, "The van der Pauw stress sensor," IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 340-356, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2006.870140
- Shieldex Trading Inc., Available: http://www.shieldextrading.net/product_INDEX.html.
- H. Shimasaki, T. Nakagawa, and M. Akiyama, "Measurement of the surface resistance of conductive textiles at microwave frequency," in Proceedings of IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Singapore, 2009, pp. 2580- 2583.
- A. Rashidian, M. T. Aligodarz, and D. M. Klymyshyn, "Dielectric characterization of materials using a modified microstrip ring resonator technique," IEEE Transactions on Dielectric and Electrical Insulation, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1392-1399, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2012.6260016
- F. Declercq, I. Couckuyt, H. Rogier, and T. Dhaene, "Environmental high frequency characterization of fabrics based on a novel surrogate modelling antenna technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 5200-5213, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2013.2274031
- P. M. Nguyen and J. Y. Chung, "Characterisation of antenna substrate properties using surrogate-based optimisation," IET Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 867-871, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2014.0627
- I. Couckuyt, F. Declercq, T. Dhaene, H. Rogier, and L. Knockaert, "Surrogate‐based infill optimization applied to electromagnetic problems," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer‐Aided Engineering, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 492-501, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.20455
- M. Kapoor, "Design fabrication and analysis of tunable planar microwave devices using EBG Structures," Ph.D. dissertation, Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Agra, India, 2013. pp. 34-56.
- SUMO: Surrogate Modeling Lab, Available: http://sumo.intec.ugent.be.
- D. Cruickshank, Microwave Materials for Wireless Applications, Boston, MA: Artech House, 2011.
- A. M. Fowler, "Radio frequency performance of electroplated finishes," in Proceedings of the Institution of Radio and Electronics Engineers (IREE), Australia, 1970, pp. 148-164.