- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design of Dual-Band Bandpass Filters for Cognitive Radio Application of TVWS Band
- Kwon, Kun-An (Department of Electronic Engineering, Sogang University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Keun (Department of Electronic Engineering, Sogang University) ;
- Yun, Sang-Won (Department of Electronic Engineering, Sogang University)
- Received : 2015.08.11
- Accepted : 2015.11.30
- Published : 2016.01.31
This paper presents a novel design for dual-band bandpass filters. The proposed filters are applicable to the carrier aggregation of the TV white space (TVWS) band and long-term evolution (LTE) band for cognitive radio applications. The lower passband is the TVWS band (470-698 MHz) whose fractional bandwidth is 40 %, while the higher passband is the LTE band (824-894 MHz) with 8 % fractional bandwidth. Since the two passbands are located very close to each other, a transmission zero is inserted to enhance the rejection level between the two passbands. The TVWS band filter is designed using magnetic coupling to obtain a wide bandwidth, and the LTE band filter is designed using dielectric resonators to achieve good insertion loss characteristics. In addition, in the proposed design, a transmission zero is placed with cross-coupling. The proposed dual-band bandpass filter is designed as a two-port filter (one input/one output) as well as a three-port filter (one common input/two outputs). The measured performances show good agreement with the simulated performances.
Cognitive Radio;Cross Coupling;Dual-Band BPF;TV White Space
Supported by : Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning (MSIP)
- W. Wand and X. Lin, "A dual-band bandpass filter using open-loop resonator," in Proceedings of 2012 5th Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves (GSMM), Harbin, China, 2012, pp. 575-578.
- Y. H. Cho, H. I. Baek, H. S. Lee, and S. W. Yun, "A dual-band combline bandpass filter loaded by lumped series resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 626-628, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2009.2029737
- Y. H. Cho, X. G. Wang, and S. W. Yun "Design of dual-band interdigital bandpass filters using both series and shunt resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 111-113, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2012.2185839
- H. Joshi and W. J. Chappell, "Dual-band lumped-element bandpass filter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 4169-4177, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2006.885576
- J. Xu, W. Wu, and C. Miao, "Compact microstrip dual-/tri-/quad-band bandpass filter using open stubs loaded shorted stepped-impedance resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 3187-3198, Sep. 2013 https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2013.2273759
- Z. Ma and Y. Kobayashi, "Design and realization of band-pass filters using composite resonators to obtain transmission zeros," in Proceedings of 2005 European Microwave conference (EuMC), Paris, 2005.
- G. L. Matthaei, L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures. Norwood, MA:Artech House, 1980.
- R. J. Wenzel, "Understanding transmission zero movement in cross-coupled filters," in Proceedings of IEEE MITT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Philadelphia, PA, 2003, pp. 1459-1462.
- R. J. Cameron, "General coupling matrix synthesis methods for Chebyshev filtering functions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 433-442, Apr. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.754877
- D. M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering, New York, NY:Wiley, 1998.
- J. R. Smith, Modern Communication Circuits, 2nd ed., Boston, MA:McGraw-Hill, 1998, pp. 103-116.
- K. Chang, Handbook of Microwave and Optical Components (Volume 1: Microwave Passive and Antenna Components). New York, Wiley, 1991, 219-233.
- Frequency-Switchable Microfluidic CSRR-Loaded QMSIW Band-Pass Filter Using a Liquid Metal Alloy vol.17, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/s17040699
- Dual-Band Band-Pass Filter with Fixed Low Band and Fluidically-Tunable High Band vol.17, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/s17081884
- Design of a Dual-Band Bandpass Filter Using an Open-Loop Resonator vol.17, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2017.17.4.197
- Microfluidically Frequency-Reconfigurable Quasi-Yagi Dipole Antenna vol.18, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18092935