- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Microwave Negative Group Delay Circuit: Filter Synthesis Approach
- Park, Junsik (Division of Electronics and Information Engineering, IT Convergence Research Center, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Chaudhary, Girdhari (Division of Electronics and Information Engineering, IT Convergence Research Center, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Junhyung (Division of Electronics and Information Engineering, IT Convergence Research Center, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Yongchae (Division of Electronics and Information Engineering, IT Convergence Research Center, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2015.09.25
- Accepted : 2015.11.24
- Published : 2016.01.31
This paper presents the design of a negative group delay circuit (NGDC) using the filter synthesis approach. The proposed design method is based on a frequency transformation from a low-pass filter (LPF) to a bandstop filter (BSF). The predefined negative group delay (NGD) can be obtained by inserting resistors into resonators. To implement a circuit with a distributed transmission line, a circuit conversion technique is employed. Both theoretical and experimental results are provided for validating of the proposed approach. For NGD bandwidth and magnitude flatness enhancements, two second-order NGDCs with slightly different center frequencies are cascaded. In the experiment, group delay of
Bandstop Filter;Frequency Transformation;Filter Approach;Low Pass Filter Prototype;Negative Group Delay
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- L. Brillouin, Wave Propagation and Group Velocity. New York, NY: Academic Press, 1960.
- E. L. Bolda, R. Y. Chiao, and J. C. Garrison, "Two theorems for the group velocity in dispersive media," Physics Review A, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 3890-3894, Nov. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.48.3890
- A. H. Dorrah, L. Kayili, and M. Mojahedi, "Superluminal propagation and information transfer: a statistical approach in the microwave domain," Physicals Letters A, vol. 378, no. 44, pp. 3218-3224, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physleta.2014.09.043
- L. J. Wang , A. Kuzmich, and A. Dogariu, "Gain-assisted superluminal light propagation," Nature, vol. 406, no. 6793, pp. 277-279, Jul. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1038/35018520
- W. Withayachumnankul, B. M. Fischer, B. Ferguson, B. R. David, and D. Abbott, "A systemized view of superluminal wave propagation," Proceedings of IEEE, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1775-1786, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2010.2052910
- C. M. Hymel, M. H. Skolnick, R. A. Stubbers, and M. E. Brandt, "Temporally advanced signal detection: a review of the technology and potential applications," IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 10-25, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCAS.2011.941076
- H. Choi, Y. Jeong, C. D. Kim, and J. S. Kenney, "Efficiency enhancement of feedforward amplifiers by employing a negative group delay circuit," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1116- 1125, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2010.2045576
- H. Noto, K. Yamauchi, M. Nakayama, and Y. Isota, "Negative group delay circuit for feed-forward amplifier," in Proceedings of IEEE International Microwave Symposium, Honolulu, HI, 2007, pp. 1103-1106.
- H. Mirzaei and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Realization of non- Foster reactive elements using negative group delay networks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 4322-4332, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2013.2281967
- H. Mirzaei and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Arbitrary-angle squint free beamforming in series-fed antenna arrays using non-Foster elements synthesized by negative group delay networks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1997-2010, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2015.2408364
- B. Ravelo, A. Perennec, M. Le Roy, and Y. G. Boucher, "Active microwave circuit with negative group delay," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 2177-2180, Dec. 2007.
- M. Kandic and G. E. Bridges, "Asymptotic limit of negative group delay in active resonator-based distributed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 1727-1735, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2011.2107251
- G. Chaudhary and Y. Jeong, "Distributed transmission line negative group delay circuit with improved signal attenuation," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 20-22, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2013.2287246
- G. Chaudhary, Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Miniaturized dualband negative group delay circuit using dual-plane defected structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 521-523, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2014.2322445
- G. Chaudhary, Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Microstrip line negative group delay filters for microwave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 234-243, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2013.2295555
- G. Chaudhary, J. Jeong, P. Kim, and Y. Jeong, "Negative group delay circuit with improved signal attenuation and multiple pole characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 76-81, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.2.76
- G. Chaudhary and Y. Jeong, "A design of compact wideband negative group delay network using cross-coupling," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 2495-2497, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.28627
- H. Choi, K. Song, C. D. Kim, and Y. Jeong, "Synthesis of negative group delay time circuit," in Proceedings of IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Hong Kong, 2008, pp. 1-4.
- G. Mathaei, L. Young, and E. M. T. Jone, Microwave Filters: Impedance Matching Networks and Coupling Structures. Dedham, MA: Artech House, 1964.
- Novel design of a 2.1–2.9 GHz negative capacitance using a passive non-Foster circuit vol.14, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.13.20160955
- Subwavelength Metamaterial Unit Cell for Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Absorber Applications vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-35267-w
- Design Method for Negative Group Delay Circuits Based on Relations among Signal Attenuation, Group Delay, and Bandwidth vol.19, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2019.19.1.56