- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Science Teaching Efficacy Belief of Secondary School Teachers on Astronomy Topics: Based on Grounded Theories
중등 교사의 과학 교수 효능감이 천문 수업에 미치는 영향 : 근거이론을 중심으로
- Received : 2015.10.19
- Accepted : 2015.12.18
- Published : 2016.03.28
The purpose of this study was to confirm how the students have responded to their class according to STEB (science teaching efficacy belief) of secondary science teacher in astronomy classes. Middle school teachers in charge of 'The Solar System' and 'The Exosphere and Space Development' in the 2009 Revision Science Curriculum content system is selected as an object of study through random sampling method. Twenty-nine teachers were taken STEB questionnaire and asked to make it out. Twenty-seven completed a questionnaire of them is selected for this study. In addition, the top and bottom 5% selected through frequency analysis with the total score from the questionnaire were regarded as high and low STEB teachers. For data collection, this study was used methods such as semi-structured interviews, recording, participant observation. The results were as follows: First, science teachers of high STEB had a high accessibility about excellent professional knowledge and content of the curriculum relating to astronomical field. Second, high STEB teachers were prepared by the appropriate teaching strategies adequate to student-centered learning, whereas the low STEB teachers totally have had teacher-centered learning. Third, high STEB teachers had been provided as the idea that you can take advantage of a variety of instruments, as well as scientific knowledge through the Astronomical Society. Therefore, confidence in astronomical class and teaching strategies through content of the curriculum were very important variables to predict the STEB as well as astronomy-related class activities such as astronomical observations.
Science Teaching Efficacy Belief;Science Curriculum;Astronomical Observations;InstructionalStrategies
Supported by : 충북대학교
- I. M. Riggs and L. G. Enochs, "Toward the development of an elementary teacher's science teaching efficacy beliefs," Science Education, Vol.74, No.6, pp.625-673, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730740605
- A. L. Strauss and J. M. Corbin, 근거이론의 이해(Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded theory Procedures and techniques), 신경림 역, 한울아카데미, 2005.
- I. R. Weiss, J. D. Pasley, E. R. Banilower, and D. J. Heck, Looking inside the classroom: A study of K-12 mathematics and science education in the United States, Horizon Research Inc, 2003.
- J. A. Supovitz and H. M. Turner, "The effects of professional development on science teaching practices and classroom culture," Journal of Research in Science Teaching, Vol.37, No.9, pp.963-980, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2736(200011)37:9<963::AID-TEA6>3.0.CO;2-0
- S. Gibson and M. H. Dembo, "Teacher efficacy: A construct validation," Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.76, No.4, pp.569-582, 1985.
- P. Ashton, "Teacher efficacy: A motivational paradigm for effective teacher education," Journal of Teacher Education, Vol.35, No.5, pp.28-32, 1984.
- T. R. Koballa and F. E. Crawley, "The influence of attitude of science teaching and learning," School Science and Mathematics, Vol.85, No.3, pp.222-232, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.1985.tb09615.x
- L. G. Enochs, L. C. Shrmann, and M. Riggs, "The relationship of pupil control to preservice elementary science teacher self-efficacy and outcome expectancy," Science Education, Vol.79, No.1, pp.63-75, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730790105
- K. J. Schoon and W. J. Boone, "Self-efficacy and alternative conceptions of science of preservice elementary teachers," Science Education, Vol.82, No.5, pp.553-568, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(199809)82:5<553::AID-SCE2>3.0.CO;2-8
- J. Cakiroglu and W. J. Boone, "Preservice Elementary Teachers' Self-Efficacy Beliefs and Their Conceptions of Photosynthesis and Inheritance," Journal of Elementary Science Education, Vol.14, No.1, pp.1-14, 2002.
- 맹희주, 통합과학교육의 적용과 과학교사들의 인식 및 과학교수효능신념과의 관계, 단국대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2005.
- 임청환, 정진우, "초등학교 자연과 천문 내용 분석과 문제점," 한국과학교육학회지, 제13권, 제2호, pp.247-256, 1993.
- 김범기, 이항로, 김기정, "천문 개념 성취도와 공간 능력과의 상관관계에 관한 연구," 한국초등과학교육학회지, 제24권, 제2호, pp.216-225, 1996.
- 명전옥, "예비교사들이 지구과학 문제 해결 실패 요인: 달과 행성의 운동을 중심으로," 한국지구과학회지, 제22권, 제5호, pp.339-349, 2001.
- J. Calderhead, "Stimulated recall: A method for research on teaching," British Journal of Education Psychology, Vol.51, No.2, pp.211-217, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8279.1981.tb02474.x
- P. Meade and M. McMeniman, "Stimulated recall: An effective methodology for examining successful teaching in science," Australian Educational Researcher, Vol.19, No.3, pp.1-18, 1992.
- NRC, National Science Education Standards, National Academy Press, 1996.
- Sustainability of Cooperative Professional Development: Focused on Teachers’ Efficacy vol.11, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/su11030585