- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Employee's Perceptions of Organizational Politics and Burnout: Role of Psychological Need Satisfaction and Psychological Capital
조직정치지각이 직무소진에 미치는 영향에 있어 심리적 욕구 만족의 매개효과와 심리적 자본의 조절효과 연구
- 서동택 (경희대학교 국제경영대학원)
- Received : 2015.12.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2016.03.28
Perceptions of organizational politics(POPs) have stress-based effect as job demand and lead to employee's negative attitudes and behaviors. According to job demand resource model, burnout develops when high job demand deplete employee's resources, which lead employees to low levels of motivation and high levels of cynicism and frustration. Currently, in studying the relationship between POPs and burnout there is a lack of researches on certain settings and conditions. The present study examined a model in which relationship between POPs and burnout was mediated by psychological need satisfaction. And also, this study tested moderating role of psychological capital between POPs and need satisfaction. A total of 220 employees in telco and electronic manufacturing company in South Korea participated in this study. The result of this study showed that need satisfaction works as mediating variable between POPs and burnout and psychological capital had moderating effect between POPs and need satisfaction. This study proposes a new framework of POPs by examining linking mechanism of need satisfaction and psychological capital. The results of this study provide practical insight to HR practitioners and business leaders.
Perceptions of Organizational Politics;Job Burnout;Psychological Need Satisfaction;Psychological Capital
- C. Maslach and M. P. Leiter, "Early predictors of job burnout and engagement," Journal of applied psychology, Vol.93, No.3, p.498, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.93.3.498
- J. Pfeffer and C. Lammerding, Power in organizations, Pitman Marshfield, MA, 1981.
- C. C. Rosen, D. L. Ferris, D. J. Brown, Y. Chen, and M. Yan, "Perceptions of organizational politics: A need satisfaction paradigm," Organization Science, Vol.25, No.4, pp.1026-1055, 2013.
- R. M. Ryan and E. L. Deci, "Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being," American psychologist, Vol.55, No.1, p.68, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68
- W. B. Schaufeli and A. B. Bakker, "Job demands, job resources, and their relationship with burnout and engagement: A multi-sample study," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.25, No.3, pp.293-315, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.248
- A. D. Stajkovic and F. Luthans, "Self-efficacy and work-related performance: A meta-analysis," Psychological bulletin, Vol.124, No.2, p.240, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.124.2.240
- D. C.Treadway, G. R. Ferris, W. Hochwarter, P. Perrewe, L. Witt, and J. M. Goodman, "The role of age in the perceptions of politics--job performance relationship: a three-study constructive replication," Journal of applied psychology, Vol.90, No.5, p.872, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.5.872
- E. Vigoda Gadot and L. Talmud, "Organizational politics and job outcomes: The moderating effect of trust and social support," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.40, No.11, pp.2829-2861, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2010.00683.x
- J. J. Voyer, "Coercive organizational politics and organizational outcomes: An interpretive study," Organization Science, Vol.5, No.1, pp.72-85, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.5.1.72
- G. R. Ferris, D. B. Fedor, J. G. Chachere, and L. R. Pondy, "Myths and politics in organizational contexts," Group & Organization Management, Vol.14, No.1, pp.83-103, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960118901400108
- G. R. Ferris and K. M. Kacmar, "Perceptions of organizational politics," Journal of management, Vol.18, No.1, pp.93-116, 1992.
- G. R. Ferris and T. R. King, "Politics in human resources decisions: A walk on the dark side," Organizational dynamics, Vol.20, No.2, pp.59-71, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(91)90072-H
- T. J. Fogarty, J. Singh, G. K. Rhoads, and R. K. Moore, "Antecedents and consequences of burnout in accounting: Beyond the role stress model," Behavioral Research in Accounting, Vol.12, pp.31-68, 2000.
- M. Gagne, "Autonomy support and need satisfaction in the motivation and well-being of gymnasts," Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, Vol.15, No.4, pp.372-390, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/714044203
- S. E. Hobfoll, "Conservation of resource caravans and engaged settings," Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol.84, No.1, pp.116-122, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.2010.02016.x
- W. A. Hochwarter and K. M. Kacmar, "Perceptions of organizational politics as a moderator of the relationship between consciousness and job performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.85, No.3, p.472, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.3.472
- C. Huang, C. J. Chuang, and H. Lin, "The role of burnout in the relationship between perceptions of organizational politics and turnover intentions," Public Personnel Management, Vol.32, No.4, pp.519-531, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/009102600303200404
- K. M. Kacmar and D. S. Carlson, "Further validation of the perceptions of politics scale (POPS): A multiple sample investigation," Journal of management, Vol.23, No.5, pp.627-658, 1997.
- S. Kar and D. Suar, "Role of Burnout in the Relationship between Job Demands and Job Outcomes among Indian Nurses," ViKALPA, Vol.39, No.4, p.23, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1177/0256090920140403
- P. Kumar and R. Ghadially, "Organizational politics and its effects on members of organizations," Human Relations, Vol.42, No.4, pp.305-314, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678904200402
- F. Luthans, S. Norman, B. Avolio, and J. Avey, "Supportive climate and organizational success: The mediating role of psychological capital," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.29, No.2, pp.219-238, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.507
- F. Luthans, C. M. Youssef, and B. J. Avolio, "Psychological capital: Investing and developing positive organizational behavior," Positive organizational behavior, Vol.1, No.2, pp.9-24, 2007.
- E. L. Deci and R. Ryan, Overview of self-determination theory: An organismic dialectical perspective, Handbook of self-determination research, 2002.
- E. Demerouti, A. B. Bakker, F. Nachreiner, and W. B. Schaufeli, "The job demands-resources model of burnout," Journal of Applied psychology, Vol.86, No.3, p.499, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.499
- C. Maslach and S. E. Jackson, "The measurement of experienced burnout," Journal of occupational behavior, Vol.2, No.2, pp.99-113, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- M. Abbas, U. Raja, W. Darr, and D. Bouckenooghe, "Combined effects of perceived politics and psychological capital on job satisfaction, turnover intentions, and performance," Journal of Management, Vol.40, No.7, pp.1813-1830, 2014.
- A. Ardichvili, "Invited reaction: Meta analysis of the impact of psychological capital on employee attitudes, behaviors, and performance," Human Resource Development Quarterly, Vol.22, No.2, pp.153-156, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.20071
- A. B. Bakker, E. Demerouti, T. W. Taris, W. B. Schaufeli, and P. J. Schreurs, "A multigroup analysis of the Job Demands-Resources Model in four home care organizations," International Journal of stress management, Vol.10, No.1, p.16, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/1072-5245.10.1.16
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control, Macmillan, 1997.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, "The moderator - mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol.51, No.6, p.1173, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.113
- N. Carbonneau, R. J. Vallerand, C. Fernet, and F. Guay, "The role of passion for teaching in intrapersonal and interpersonal outcomes," Journal of educational psychology, Vol.100, No.4, p.977, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012545
- C. Chang, C. C. Rosen, and P. E. Levy, "The relationship between perceptions of organizational politics and employee attitudes, strain, and behavior: A meta-analytic examination," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.52, No.4, pp.779-801, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2009.43670894
- R. Cropanzano, J. C. Howes, A. A. Grandey, and P. Toth, "The relationship of organizational politics and support to work behaviors, attitudes, and stress," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.18, No.2, pp.159-180, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199703)18:2<159::AID-JOB795>3.0.CO;2-D
- R. Cropanzano and M. S. Mitchell, "Social exchange theory: An interdisciplinary review," Journal of management, Vol.31, No.6, pp.874-900, 2005.