- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Importance of Robot Personality in a Museum Context
박물관 맥락에서의 로봇성격 설정의 중요성 연구
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2015.11.09
- Published : 2016.03.28
This study investigates human-robot interactions in a museum environment. Unlike robots in movies, robots in real life do not have 'personality,' but instead have a specific purpose and function. This research is primarily about the assignment of specific and appropriate personalities to robots in different contexts. Methods by which a definite personality can be imparted on a robot are discussed in this research. Previous research has addressed attempts to assign a robot personality based on the task context. However, the discussion of robot personality is incomplete. Therefore, we assumed that a robot's character was dependent on the characteristics of its location of use. We planned a
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- H. Aarts and A. Dijksterhuis, "Habits as knowledge structures: automaticity in goal-directed behavior," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.78, No.1, pp.53-63, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- J. Ap and K. K. Wong, "Case study on tour guiding: Professionalism, issues and problems," Tourism Management, Vol.22, No.5, pp.551-563, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(01)00013-9
- T. Bennett, The birth of the museum: History, theory, politics, Routledge, 2013.
- B. L. Bonner, "The effects of extroversion on influence in ambiguous group tasks," Small Group Research, Vol.31, No.2, pp.225-244, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/104649640003100205
- D. P. Campbell, L. Crichton, J. I. Hansen, and P. Webber, "A new edition of the SVIB: The Strong-Campbell Interest Inventory," Measurement & Evaluation in Guidance, 1974.
- W. H. Delone and E. R. McLean, "The DeLone and McLean model of information systems success: a ten-year update," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.19, No.4, pp.9-30, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2003.11045748
- C. F. DiSalvo, F. Gemperle, J. Forlizzi, and S. Kiesler, "All robots are not created equal: the design and perception of humanoid robot heads," InProceedings of the 4th conference on Designing interactive systems: processes, practices, methods, and techniques, pp.321-326, 2002.
- T. Fong, I. Nourbakhsh, and K. Dautenhahn, "A survey of socially interactive robots," Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.42, No.3, pp.143-166, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8890(02)00372-X
- B. Friedman, P. H. Kahn Jr, and J. Hagman, " Hardware companions?: What online AIBO discussion forums reveal about the human-robotic relationship," In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp.273-280, 2003.
- S. D. Gosling, P. J. Rentfrow, and W. B. Swann, "A very brief measure of the Big-Five personality domains," Journal of Research in personality, Vol.37, No.6, pp.504-528, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-6566(03)00046-1
- J. Goetz, S. Kiesler, and A. Powers, "Matching robot appearance and behavior to tasks to improve human-robot cooperation," InRobot and Human Interactive Communication, 2003 Proceedings, ROMAN 2003, The 12th IEEE International Workshop, pp.55-60, 2003.
- A. L. Grinder and E. S. McCoy, The good guide: a sourcebook for interpreters, docents, and tour guides, Ironwood Press, 1985.
- H. Huttenrauch, A. Green, M. Norman, L. Oestreicher, and K. S. Eklundh, "Involving users in the design of a mobile office robot," Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, IEEE Transactions on, Vol.34, No.2, pp.113-124, 2004.
- O. P. John, E. M. Donahue, and R. Kentle, The big-five inventory, technical report, insititute of personality and social research, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1991.
- M. Joosse, M. Lohse, J. G. Perez, and V. Evers, "What you do is who you are: the role of task context in perceived social robot personality," In Robotics and Automation (ICRA), IEEE International Conference, pp.2134-2139, 2013.
- S. G. Kang, The influence of virtual experiential marketing on customer attitude and purchase intention: focusing on online shopping mall, Gachon University, 2014.
- K. J. Kim, E. Park, and S. S. Sundar, "Caregiving role in human-robot interaction: A study of the mediating effects of perceived benefit and social presence," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.29, No.4, pp.1799-1806, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.02.009
- M. K. Kim, The effect of docent and mobile-guide on the satisfaction of visitors: depending on the type of the museum and viewing experience, Korea University, 2010.
- R. Korn, "An analysis of differences between visitors at natural history museums and science centers," Curator: The Museum Journal, Vol.38, No.3, pp.150-160, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2151-6952.1995.tb01051.x
- N. G. Kotler, P. Kotler, and W. I. Kotler, Museum marketing and strategy: designing missions, building audiences, generating revenue and resources, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
- S. Lauriar, G. Bugmann, T. Kyriacou, J. Bos, and E. Klein, "Training personal robots using natural language instruction," IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.5, pp.38-45, 2001.
- K. M. Lee, W. Peng, S. A. Jin, and C. Yan, "Can robots manifest personality?: An empirical test of personality recognition, social responses, and social presence in human-robot interaction," Journal of Communication, Vol.56, No.4, pp.754-772, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2006.00318.x
- T. McGill, V. Hobbs, and J. Klobas, "User developed applications and information systems success: A test of DeLone and McLean's model," Information Resources Management Journal, Vol.16, No.1, pp.24-45, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4018/irmj.2003010103
- C. Nass, and Y. Moon, "Machines and mindlessness: Social responses to computers," Journal of Social Issues, Vol.56, No.1, pp.81-103, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-4537.00153
- S. Parise, S. Kiesler, L. Sproull, and K. Waters, "Cooperating with life-like interface agents," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.15, No.2, pp.123-142, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0747-5632(98)00035-1
- J. H. Park, "The case study of experience marketing for brand strategy," The Treatise on The Plastic Media, Vol.14, No.3, pp.67-76, 2011.
- H. T. Park, A study on the development system of cultural products for expanding the culture services and reinforcing the financial stability of the museum, Hongik University, 2007.
- E. Petkus, "Enhancing the application of experiential marketing in the arts," International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, Vol.9, No.1, pp.49-56, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/nvsm.232
- H. Prendinger and M. Ishizuka, "Let's talk! Socially intelligent agents for language conversation training," Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, IEEE Transactions on, Vol.31, No.5, pp.465-471, 2001.
- R. Prentice, "Experiential cultural tourism: Museums & the marketing of the new romanticism of evoked authenticity," Museum Management and Curatorship, Vol.19, No.1, pp.5-26, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/09647770100201901
- B. Schmitt, "Experiential marketing," Journal of marketing management, Vol.15, No.1, pp.53-67, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1362/026725799784870496
- D. Shin and H. Choo, "Modeling the acceptance of socially interactive robotics: Social presence in human-robot interaction," Interaction Studies, Vol.12, No.3, pp.430-460, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1075/is.12.3.04shi
- S. Thrun, M. Beetz, M. Bennewitz, W. Burgard, A. B. Cremers, F. Dellaert, and D. Schulz, "Probabilistic algorithms and the interactive museum tour-guide robot minerva," The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.19, No.11, pp.972-999, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/02783640022067922
- H. D. Yang, A. Y. Park, and S. W. Lee, "Gesture spotting and recognition for human-robot interaction," Robotics, IEEE Transactions on, Vol.23, No.2, pp.256-270, 2007.
- L. A. Zebrowitz, M. A. Collins, and R. Dutta, "The relationship between appearance and personality across the life span," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.24, No.7, pp.736-749, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167298247006
- Jennifer Goetz, Sara Kiesler, and Aaron Powers, "Matching robot appearance and behavior to tasks to improve human-robot cooperation," Robot and Human Interactive Communication, 2003 Proceedings, ROMAN 2003, The 12th IEEE International Workshop on IEEE, 2003.
- 신동희, 김희경, "디지털 사이니지의 공간성," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제8호, pp.77-84, 2015.
- 신동희, 김희경, "소셜 시청(viewing)의 사용자 경험적 분석: 사용자 경험기반의 소셜 TV," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제12호, pp.112-122, 2014.
- Robot Personality Insights. Designing Suitable Robot Personalities for Different Domains vol.16, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1515/icom-2017-0003