- Volume 16 Issue 3
This study aims to investigate the association between stock performance and credit ratings, and credit rating changes using a sample of 1,691 KRX firm-years that acquire equity in the form of long-term bonds from 2002 to 2013. Previous U.S. literature is mixed with regard to the relation between credit ratings and stock price. On one hand, there is evidence of a positive relation between credit ratings and stock prices, an anomaly established in U.S. studies. On the other hand, the CAPM model suggests a negative relation between stock prices and credit ratings, implying that investors expect financial rewards for bearing additional risk. To our knowledge, we are the first to examine the relationship between stock price and default risk proxied by credit ratings in period t+1. We find a negative (positive) relation between credit ratings (risk) in period t+1 and stock returns in period t, suggesting that credit rating agencies do not consider stock returns as a metric with the potential to influence default risk. Our results suggest that market participants may prefer firms with higher credit risk because of expected higher returns.
Stock Return;Market Performance;Credit Ratings;Credit Rating Changes
- R. C. Merton, "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Journal of Finance, Vol.29, pp.449-470, 1974.
- E. F. Fama and J. K. MacBeth, "Risk, return, and equilibrium: empirical tests," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.81, pp.607-636, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1086/260061
- I. D. Dichev, "Is the risk of bankruptcy a systematic risk?," Journal of Finance, Vol.53, pp.1131-1147, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00046
- J. Y. Campbell, J. Hilscher, and J. Szilagyi, "In search of distress risk," Journal of Finance, Vol.63, pp.2899-2939, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2008.01416.x
- D. Avramov, T. Chordia, G. Jostova, and A. Philipov, "Credit ratings and the cross-section of stock returns," Journal of Financial Markets, Vol.2, pp.469-499, 2009.
- J. M. Griffin and M. L. Lemmon, "Book-to-Market Equity, Distress-Risk, and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, Vol.57, No.23, pp.17-36, 2002.
- T. J. George and C. Y. Hwang, "A resolution of the distress risk and leverage puzzles in the cross section of stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.96, No.1, pp.56-79, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2009.11.003
- S. Chava, and A. Purnanandam, "Is default risk negatively related to stock returns?," Review of Financial Studies, Vol.23, pp.2523-2599, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/hhp107
- Y. S. Kim, "Generation of corporate risk contents of small firms and large firms using financial data for enhancing international competitiveness," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.7, No.12, pp.123-130, 2007.
- A. W. Boot, A. T. M. Todd, and S. Anjolein, "Credit ratings as coordination mechanisms," Review of Financial Studies, Vol.19, No.1, pp.81-118, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/hhj009
- D. Kisgen, "Credit ratings and capital structure," Journal of Finance, Vol.61, No.3, pp.1035-1072, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2006.00866.x
- S. Bhojraj and P. Sengupta, "Effect of Corporate Governance on Bond Ratings and Yields: The Role of Institutional Investors and Outside Directors," The Journal of Business, Vol.76, No.3, pp.455-476, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1086/344114
- H. Ashbaugh-Skaife, D. Collins, and R. LaFond, "The effects of corporate governance on firms' credit ratings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol.42, pp.203-243, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacceco.2006.02.003
- P. Kraft, "Do rating agencies cater?: Evidence from rating-based contracts," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol.59, No.2-3, pp.264-283, 2014.
- H. J. Lim, "A study on non-audit service and audit quality, focused on the comparison between Big4 and Non-Big4 audit firm," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.15, No.7, pp.477-488, 2015.
- W. Alissa, S. B. Bonsall, K. Koharki, and M. W. Penn, "Firms' use of accounting discretion to influence the credit ratings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol.55, No.1, pp.129-147, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacceco.2013.01.001
- Does market risk predict credit risk? An analysis of firm risk sensitivity, evidence from South Korea pp.2164-2257, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/16081625.2016.1268060