- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Confirming Animal Glue in Dancheong Sample by Pyrolysis/GC/MS
열분해/GC/MS에 의한 재현 단청 시편에서 아교의 확인
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.03.09
- Published : 2016.03.20
Animal glue is a traditional material used extensively as adhesive and binder in mother-of-pearl, wooden structure, traditional painting, etc. Analysis of animal glue is usually performed with IR(infrared spectroscopy) based on the IR absorption of functional group. But, it has a limitation in confirming animal glue when a sample consists of several materials because of overlapping of the absorption band. Py/GC/MS(pyrolysis/gas chromatography/mass spectrometry) is a useful tool in analyzing the constituent of polymeric materials like animal glue by identifying their pyrolysate with very small amount of sample. In this study, confirmation of animal glue in a Dancheong sample was tried with this method. Characteristic pyrolytic compounds of animal glue and tung oil used in Dancheong were identified. Dancheong sample painted with Noerok as a coloring material, animal glue and tung oil was prepared and it was possible to find characteristic peaks of animal glue after thermal degradation and artificial weathering experiment. From this, we found that animal glue can be detected using py/GC/MS in cultural heritage samples consisting of several materials and in different condition. IR was also tried to analyze Dancheong sample and the results were compared with those of py/GC/MS for the detection of animal glue.
animal glue;Dancheong;pyrolysis/GC/MS;infrared spectrum;artificial aging
- Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea, 2013a, Documentation on the Dancheong of important wooden cultural heritage 2013. Korean Studies Information, 6. (in Korean)
- Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea, 2013b, Specifications on rehabilitation of cultural heritage. 297. (in Korean)
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Minor oil crops - Individual monographs, http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5043e/x5043E0e.htm#Tung, accessed February 5 2016.
- Institute of Chemistry, University of Tartu, Estonia, IR Spectra, http://tera.chem.ut.ee/IR_spectra/index.php?option com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=64, February 5 2016.
- Jang, K., Hahn, S., 2004, An historic outline of Korean architecture III Dancheong. Boseongkag, Seoul, 11-32. (in Korean)
- Kim, D.R., 2014, A study of Dancheong technique for conservation of traditional wooden architecture in Korea-with focus on the bottom layer-. Graduate school of Konkuk university, 12-18. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Ling, H., Maiqian, N., Chiavari, G. and Mazzeo, R., 2007, Analytical characterization of binding medium used in ancient Chinese artworks by pyrolysis-gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Microchemical Journal, 85, 347-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2006.08.003
- Muyounga, J., Cole, C. and Duodu, K., 2004, Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopic study of acid soluble collagen and gelatin from skins and bones of young and adult Nile Perch (Lates niloticus). Food Chemistry, 86, 325-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.09.038
- National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage, 2014, Study on the adhesive properties of lacquer and glue. Korea e-Work Association for the Disabled, 32. (in Korean)
- Park, J., 2015, Analysis of animal glue by pyrolysis/GC/MS. Analytical Science & Technology, 28(3), 221-227. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5806/AST.2015.28.3.221
Grant : 문화재 접착재료 안정성 평가 및 적용성 연구
Supported by : 국립문화재연구소