- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Introduction of Questionnaires for Quality of Life of Patients with Malignant Tumors of the Central Nervous System into Neurosurgical Practice in the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Akshulakov, Serik (JSC, National Centre for Neurosurgery) ;
- Aldiyarova, Nurgul (JSC, National Centre for Neurosurgery) ;
- Ryskeldiyev, Nurzhan (JSC, National Centre for Neurosurgery) ;
- Akhmetzhanova, Zauresh (JSC, National Centre for Neurosurgery) ;
- Gaitova, Kamila (JSC, Astana Medical University) ;
- Auezova, Raushan (JSC, National Centre for Neurosurgery) ;
- Doskaliyev, Aidos (JSC, National Centre for Neurosurgery) ;
- Kerimbayev, Talgat (JSC, National Centre for Neurosurgery)
- 발행 : 2016.03.07
Background: Studies of quality of life (QoL) of oncological patients is carried out using questionnaires approved in many international clinical studies. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer EORTC QLQ-C30 (Quality of Life Questionnary-Core 30) and its special brain cancer module EORTC QLQ-BN20 are widely used in the world neurooncologic practice. They are available in more than 80 official versions of 30 languages of the world. Previously we used the official versions in Russian, which often causes difficulty in understanding for native Kazakh language speakers, who comprise more than 60% of our respondents. This was the reason for creating a version of Kazakh language. Therefore, in 2014 for the first time the process of adaptation of questionnaires to the Kazakh language was initiated. Materials and Methods: The translation process of questionnaires to Kazakh language was held in accordance with the requirements of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer EORTC on QoL and consisted of the following stages: preparation - translation - pilot testing - approval. The official permission of authors and "Guideline on translation" was obtained which was developed by the working group of the EORTC on QoL. The pilot testing of EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-BN20 questionnaires was conducted on the basis of the Department of Central Nervous System Pathology of the "National Centre for Neurosurgery" in patients with malignant tumors of the central nervous system. Results: The official versions of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-BN20 questionnaires in Kazakh language were introduced and adapted in practical neurosurgical operations in Kazakhstan. Conclusions: The approved versions of the questionnaires in Kazakh language are now available for mainstream use on the official website EORTC.com. The versions of these questionnaires can be used in domestic cohort studies and clinical practice in the Republic of Kazakhstan. The use of these tools for assessing QoL will help professionals in the planning of individual treatment strategies and selection of the necessary therapy.
CNS malignant tumors;quality of life;EORTC questionnaires;Kazakhstan language
- Aaronson NK, Meyerowitz BE, Bard M, et al (1991). Quality of life research in oncology. Cancer, 67, 839-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19910201)67:3+<839::AID-CNCR2820671415>3.0.CO;2-0
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al (1993). The European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: A quality of life instrument for use in international clinical trilas in oncology. J Natl Cancer lnst, 85, 365-75. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.5.365
- Aaronson NK, Cull A, Kaasa S, et al (1994). The European Organisation (or Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) modular approach to quality of life assessment in oncology. Int J Ment Health, 23, 75-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207411.1994.11449284
- Akshulakov S, Igissinov N, Aldiyarova N, et al (2014). Oneyear survival rate of patients with primary malignant central nervous system tumors after surgery in Kazakhstan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6973-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6973
- Bottomley A, Flechtner H, Efficace F, et al (2005). Health related quality of life outcomes in cancer clinical trials. Eur J Cancer, 41, 1697-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.007
- Budrukkar A, Jalali R, Dutta D, et al (2009). Prospective assessment of quality of life in adult patients with primary brain tumors in routine neurooncology practice. J Neurooncol, 95, 413-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-009-9939-8
- Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States analyses of the NPCR and SEER data (2005-2009). Available from: website: www.cbtrus.org.
- Goerling U, Stickel A (2014). Quality of life in oncology. Recent Results Cancer Res, 197, 137-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-40187-9_10
- Igissinov N, Akshulakov S, Igissinov S, et al (2013). Malignant tumors of the central nervous system in Kazakhstan - incidence trends from 2004-2011. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4181-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4181
- Karnofsky DA, Burchenal JH (1949). The clinical evaluation of chemotherapeutic agents in cancer. In: MacLeod CM (ed) Evaluation of chemotherapeutic agents. Columbia University Press, New York, 196.
- Lee H, Park E, Kim S, et al (2015). Quality of life of family members living with cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6913-7.
- Liu R, Page M, Solheim K, et al (2009). Quality of life in adults with brain tumors: Current knowledge and future directions. Neuro Oncol, 11, 330-9. https://doi.org/10.1215/15228517-2008-093
- Madhusoodanan S, Ting M, Farah T, et al (2015). Psychiatric aspects of brain tumors: A review. World J Psychiatry, 15, 273-85.
- Maringwa J, Quinten C, King M, et al (2011). Minimal clinically meaningful differences for the EORTC QLQ-C30 and EORTC QLQ-BN20 scales in brain cancer patients. Ann Oncol, 22, 2107-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq726
- Ohgaki H, Kleihues P (2005) Population-based studies on incidence, survival rates, and genetic alterations in astrocytic and oligodendroglial gliomas. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol, 64, 479-89. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnen/64.6.479
- Spitzer WO, Dobson AJ, Hall J, et al (1981). Measuring the quality of life of cancer patients: a concise QL-index for use by physicians. J Chronic Dis, 34, 585-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(81)90058-8
- Taphoorn MJB, Sizoo EM, Bottomley A (2013). Review on quality of life issues in patients with primary brain tumors. J Clinical Oncol, 31, 65-72. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.41.0639
- Therasse P (1996). A practical guide to EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) studies. EORTC Data Center, Brussels.
- Tuleutayev ME (2012). Oncological service of Astana city and development priorities. Med J Astana, 3, 14-16.
- Yeliseyeva II (2003). Sociology. ECOS, Moscow, 656.
- WHO (1993). Study protocol for the World Health Organisation project to develop a quality of life assessment instrument (WHOQOL). Qual Life Res, 2, 153-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00435734