- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Anxiety, Depression Levels and Quality of Life in Patients with Gastrointestinal Cancer in Turkey
- Bektas, Didem Kat (bn-i Sina Hospital, Medical Oncology Clinic) ;
- Demir, Sati (Psychiatric Nursing Department, Gazi University Faculty of Health Sciences)
- Published : 2016.03.07
Background: Cancer is a major public health problem in many parts of the world. Gastrointestinal (GI) cancers are responsible for 20% of all cancer-related deaths. In Turkey, stomach cancers account for 8.9%, colon cancer for 6.9%, and pancreatic cancer for 5.9%. This study examined the anxiety-depression levels and the quality of life of patients with GI cancer. Materials and Methods: This descriptive study was carried out on 335 adult patients who had gastrointestinal cancer and who were hospitalized in medical oncology clinics. Data were collected by using hospital anxiety and depression scale, EORTC QLQ C-30 and a patient information form. Results: Patients who were male and secondary school graduates/graduates/postgraduates experienced more functional difficulties. Patients with poor economic status experienced more symptoms. Patient general wellbeing decreased with increase disease duration. The level of functional difficulties decreased with an increasing number of hospital stays. Anxiety scores increased with decreasing age. Both anxiety and depression scores increased with increasing disease duration. Patients who were female, single/widowed/divorced, and literate/elementary school graduates had higher anxiety and depression scores. Life quality decreased with increasing anxiety and depression. Conclusions: Patients should be supported to prevent anxiety and depression, and should be followed up with this in mind.
Gastrointestinal cancer;anxiety;depression;life quality;Turkey
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al (1993). The european organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst, 85, 365-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.5.365
- Alici S, Izmirli M, Dogan E (2006). Epidemiologic evaluation of the patients admitted to department of medical oncology, yuzuncu yil university, Medical Faculy. Turkish J Onkol, 21, 87-97.
- Arndt V, Merx H, Stegmaier C, et al (2004). Quality of life in patients with colorectal cancer 1 year after diagnosis compared with the general population: a population-based study. J Clin Oncol, 22, 4829-36. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.02.018
- Atesci FC, Oguzhanoglu NK, Baltalarli B, et al (2003). Psychiatric disorders in cancer patients and associated factors. Turkish J Psychiatry, 14, 145-152.
- Aydemir O, Guvenir T, Kuey L, et al (1997). Validity and reliability of turkish version of hospital anxiety and depression scale. Turkish J Psychiatry, 8, 280-7.
- Bektas HA, Akdemir N (2006). The assessment of functional status in individual's who have cancer. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci, 26, 488-499.
- Bullen TL, Sharpe L, Lawsin C, et al (2012). Body image as a predictor of psychopathology in surgical patients with colorectal disease. J Psychosom Res, 73, 459-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.08.010
- Cheng C, Chan NY, Chio JHM, et al (2012). Being active or flexible? Role of control coping on quality of life among patients with gastrointestinal cancer. Psychooncol, 21, 211-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1892
- Dedeli O, Fadiloglu, C, Uslu R (2009). A survey of functional living and social support in patients with cancer. Turkish J Onkol, 23, 132-9.
- Dehkordi A, Heydarnejad MS, Fatehi D (2009). Quality of life in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Oman Med J, 24, 204-207.
- Dogar IA, Azeem MW, Kiran M, et al (2009). Depression and anxiety in cancer patients in outpatient department of a tertiary care hospital in Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci, 25, 734-737.
- Friedman LC, Kalidas M, Elledge R, et al (2006). Optimism, social support and psychosocial functioning among women with breast cancer. Psychooncol, 15, 595-603. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.992
- Gray NM, Hall SJ, Browne S, et al (2011). Modifiable and fixed factors predicting quality of life in people with colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 104, 1697-703. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.155
- Gultekin M, Boztas G (2014). Turkey cancer statistics: republic of turkey ministry of health, public health agency of Turkey.
- Guzelant A, Goksel T, Ozkok S, et al (2004). The european organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30:an examination into the cultural validity and reliability of the Turkish version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Eur J Cancer Care, 13, 135-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2003.00435.x
- Hallac S, Oz F (2011). Existential anxiety in diagnostic process of genital cancer. Current Approaches in Psychiatry, 3, 595-610.
- Karabulutlu EY, Bilici M, Cayir K, et al (2010). Coping, anxiety and depression in Turkish patients with cancer. Eur J General Med, 7, 296-302. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejgm/82872
- Kavradim ST, Ozer ZC (2014). Hope in patients with cancer. Current Approaches Psychiat, 6, 154-64.
- Kutlu R, Civi S, Boruban MC, et al (2011). Depression and the factors affecting the quality of life in cancer Patients. Med J Selcuk, 27, 149-53.
- Lin CC, Chang AP, Cleeland CS, et al (2007). Taiwanese version of the MD Anderson symptom inventory: symptom assessment in cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage, 33, 180-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2006.07.018
- Matsushita T, Matsushima E, Maruyama M (2005). Psychological state, quality of life, and coping style in patients with digestive cancer. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 27, 125-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2004.10.006
- Mystakidou K, Tsilika E, Parpa E, et al (2005). Assessment of anxiety and depression in advanced cancer patients and their relationship with quality of life. Quality Life Res, 14, 1825-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-005-4324-3
- Nikbakhsh N, Moudi S, Abbasian S, et al (2014). Prevalence of depression and anxiety among cancer patients. Caspian J Intern Med, 5, 167-70.
- Nordin K, Berglund G, Glimelius B, et al (2001). Predicting anxiety and depression among cancer patients: a clinical model. Eur J Cancer, 37, 376-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(00)00398-1
- Ozkan S, Ogce F, Koca AK (2007). Determining of the presence of depression, anxiety and gastro intestinal system cancer patients. J Ege U Nurs Faculty, 23, 69-80.
- Sawada NO, Nicolussi AC, Okino L, et al (2009). Quality of life evaluation in cancer patients to submitted to chemotherapy. Revista da Escola de Enfermagem da USP, 43, 581-3. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0080-62342009000300012
- Shives LR (2008). Basic concepts of psychiatric mental health nursing, (7th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams Wilkins.
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, et al (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Stein KD, Denniston M, Baker F, et al (2003). Validation of modified rotterdam symptom checklist for use with cancer patients in the united states. J Pain Symptom Manage, 26, 975-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00321-X
- Stewart CW, Wild C P (2014). World cancer report 2014. World Health Organization.
- Tavoli A, Mohagheghi MA, Montazeri A, et al (2007). Anxiety and depression in patients with gastrointestinal cancer: does knowledge of cancer diagnosis matter? BMC Gastroenterol, 14, 28.
- Tokgoz G, Yalug I, Ozdemir S, et al (2008). Prevalence of major depression in patients with cancer and related factors. Anatolian J Psychiatry, 9, 59-66.
- Unsal D, Tunc E, Pak Y (2006). The effect of adjuvant treatment on the long term quality of life of patients with rectal cancer. Int J Hematol Oncol, 3, 108-20.
- Van den Beuken-van Everdingen MH, de Rijke JM, Kessels AG, et al (2009). Quality of life and non-pain symptoms in patients with cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage, 38, 216-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2008.08.014
- Wong-Kim EC, Bloom JR (2005). Depression experienced by young women newly diagnosed with breast cancer. Psychooncol, 14, 564-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.873
- Yardim N, Mollahalilogul S, Cakir E (2007). Evaluation of turkey ministry of health 1983-2001 cancer incidences and cancer death rates in the burden of disease study data. Turkish J Cancer, 37, 148-53.
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 67, 361-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb09716.x