- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the Trends of Stomach Cancer Incidence in Districts of Iran from 2000-2010: Application of a Random Effects Markov Model
- Zayeri, Farid (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- mansouri, Anita (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sheidaei, Ali (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahimzadeh, Shadi (Non-Communicable Diseases Research Center, Endocrinology and Metabolism Population Sciences Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rezaei, Nazila (Non-Communicable Diseases Research Center, Endocrinology and Metabolism Population Sciences Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Modirian, Mitra (Non-Communicable Diseases Research Center, Endocrinology and Metabolism Population Sciences Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- khademioureh, Sara (Non-Communicable Diseases Research Center, Endocrinology and Metabolism Population Sciences Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Baghestani, Ahmad Reza (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Farzadfar, Farshad (Non-Communicable Diseases Research Center, Endocrinology and Metabolism Population Sciences Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.03.07
Background: Stomach cancer is the fifth most common cancer and the third leading cause of death among cancers throughout the world. Therefore, stomach cancer outcomes can affect health systems at the national and international levels. Although stomach cancer mortality and incidence rates have decreased in developed countries, these indicators have a raising trend in East Asian developing countries, particularity in Iran. In this study, we aimed to determine the time trend of age-standardized rates of stomach cancer in different districts of Iran from 2000 to 2010. Materials and Methods: Cases of cancer were registered using a pathology-based system during 2000-2007 and with a population-based system since 2008 in Iran. In this study, we collected information about the incidence of stomach cancer during a 10 year period for 31 provinces and 376 districts, with a total of 49,917 cases. We employed two statistical approaches (a random effects and a random effects Markov model) for modeling the incidence of stomach cancer in different districts of Iran during the studied period. Results: The random effects model showed that the incidence rate of stomach cancer among males and females had an increasing trend and it increased by 2.38 and 0.87 persons every year, respectively. However, after adjusting for previous responses, the random effects Markov model showed an increasing rate of 1.53 and 0.75 for males and females, respectively. Conclusions: This study revealed that there are significant differences between different areas of Iran in terms of age-standardized incidence rates of stomach cancer. Our study suggests that a random effects Markov model can adjust for effects of previous responses.
Stomach neoplasms;incidence;trends;Iran;random effects Markov model
- Agahjani H EtK, Gooya MM (2008). National report on registered cancer cases in 2008. Tehran, Iran: Cancer Office, Centre for Disease Control, Deputy for Health, Ministry of Health and Medical Education.
- Aitkin M, Alfo M (2003). Longitudinal analysis of repeated binary data using autoregressive and random effect modelling. Statistical Modelling, 3, 291-303. https://doi.org/10.1191/1471082X03st061oa
- Alireza S, Mehdi N, Ali M, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359.
- Almasi Z, Rafiemanesh H, Salehiniya H (2015). Epidemiology characteristics and trends of incidence and morphology of stomach cancer in iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2757. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2757
- Amin M, Kazemi A, Eskandari O, et al (2015). Geographical distribution of stomach cancer related to heavy metals in Kurdistan, Iran. Int J Environ Health Engineering, 4, 12. https://doi.org/10.4103/2277-9183.157700
- Baeradeh NA, Lotfi MH, Fallahzadeh H, et al (2015). Survival rate of patients with stomach cancer and its effective factors in yazd province.
- Behrouzian R, Aghdami N (2004). Urinary iodine/creatinine ratio in patients with stomach cancer in Urmia, Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J, 10, 921-4.
- Bener A, Ayub H, Kakil R, et al (2008). Patterns of cancer incidence among the population of Qatar: a worldwide comparative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 19-24.
- Brenner H, Rothenbacher D, Arndt V (2009). Epidemiology of stomach cancer. in 'Cancer Epidemiology', Eds Springer 467-77
- Cancer IAfRo (2014). World cancer report 2014. Geneva: WHO.
- Colquhoun A, Arnold M, Ferlay J, et al (2015). Global patterns of cardia and non-cardia gastric cancer incidence in 2012. Gut, gutjnl-2014-308915.
- Diggle P, Heagerty P, Liang KY, et al 2002. Analysis of longitudinal data, Oxford University Press.
- Eichelberger L, Murphy G, Etemadi A, et al (2015). Risk of Gastric Cancer by Water Source: Evidence from the Golestan Case-Control Study. PloS one, 10, 128491.
- Enayatrad M, Salehiniya H (2014). Trends in gastric cancer incidence in Iran. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci, 24, 8-16.
- Herszenyi L, Tulassay Z (2010). Epidemiology of gastrointestinal and liver tumors. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 14, 249-58.
- Hu J, La Vecchia C, Negri E, et al (2015). Macronutrient intake and stomach cancer. Cancer Causes Control, 26, 839-47. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-015-0557-9
- Khaleghian M, Jahanzad I, Shakoori A, et al (2015). C-MYC amplification and expression in stomach cancer samples in Iranian population using two techniques of CISH and IHC. Tehran University Med J, 73, 260-70.
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh Z (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Arch Iran Med, 12, 576-83.
- Mohagheghi MA, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Malekzadeh R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence in tehran metropolis: the first report from the tehran population-based cancer registry. Arch Iranian Med, 12, 15-23.
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Movahedi M, Afsharfard A, Moradi A, et al (2009). Survival rate of gastric cancer in Iran. J Res Med Sci, 14, 367.
- Najafi F, Mozaffari H, Karami M, et al (2011). Trends in incidence of gastrointestinal tract cancers in Western iran, 1993-2007. Iranian Red Crescent Med J, 13, 805.
- Radmard AR (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Archives Iranian Med, 13, 143-6.
- Sadjadi A, Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, et al (2003). Cancer occurrence in ardabil: results of a population-based cancer registry from Iran. Int J Cancer, 107, 113-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11359
- Samadi F, Babaei M, Yazdanbod A, et al (2007). Survival rate of gastric and esophageal cancers in Ardabil province, North-West of Iran. Arch Iran Med, 10, 32-7.
- Shrivastava S, Shrivastava P, Ramasamy J (2015). Formulating a comprehensive public health strategy for the prevention and control of stomach cancer. J Med Tropics, 17, 46. https://doi.org/10.4103/2276-7096.148703
- Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, et al (2015). Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 65, 87-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21262
- Yazdizadeh B, Jarrahi AM, Mortazavi H, et al (2005). Time trends in the occurrence of major GI cancers in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 130-4.