- Volume 50 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Information-Seeking within Negative Affect: Lessons from North Korean Refugees' Everyday Information Practices within PTSD
- Koo, Joung Hwa (Department of Library, Archive and Information Studies, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2016.01.22
- Accepted : 2016.02.02
- Published : 2016.02.29
The study examines how stressful life experiences and negative affective conditions influence refugees' information seeking and uses. Fifty-five North Korean refugees living in South Korea were invited to participate in a survey to determine their level of PTSD and to investigate the relationship between activeness in information-seeking and their negative affect. Seven subjects with severe PTSD symptoms participated in an in-depth interview to describe their information practices in daily life contexts. The study found that participants with higher levels of PTSD tended to seek information more passively than those with lower levels of PTSD. Almost all refugees were unable to recognize their information needs clearly but some subjects stated latent socio-affective needs and financial needs. Most refugees avoided seeking information and learned information through interpersonal sources-staffs in the Hana Refugee Center and volunteers in local community churches-and mass media. Some unique social phenomena were discovered in North Korean refugees' information world and the emergent features were discussed. On the basis of the findings, some practical approaches for improving refugees' information world were also suggested.
- Agada, J. 1999. "Inner-City Gatekeepers: An Exploratory Survey of Their Information Use Environment." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 50(1): 74-85. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4571(1999)50:1<74::AID-ASI9>3.0.CO;2-F
- Allen, M., Matthew, S. and Boland, M. J. 2004. "Working with Immigrant and Refugee Populations: Issues and Hmong Case Study." Library Trends, 53: 301-328.
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
Association of College and Research Libraries. 2000. Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. [online] [cited 2015. 11. 1.]
- Attin, H. 1981. "Newcomer Services of the Ontario Government." Ontario Library Review, 65(4): 225-231.
- Beyani, C., Talal, E. and Phodes, S. 1995. "Refugee Sources for Lawyers: the Documentation Centre of the Refugee Studies Programme." Law Librarians, 26(2): 327-330.
- Brock, S. 2001. "Information Services in a Research Library: Refugee Studies Centre Library." Library and Information Briefings, 100: 1-11.
- Caidi, N. and Allard, D. 2005. "Social Inclusion of Newcomers to Canada: An Information Problem?" Library and Information Science Research, 27(3): 302-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lisr.2005.04.003
- Caidi, N., Allard, D. and Quirke, L. 2010. "The Information Practices of Immigrants." Annual Review of Information Science & Technology, 44: 493-531.
- Carpenter, H. 2007. "A Journey of Discovery and Participation: Welcome to Your Library: Connecting Public Libraries with Refugees and Asylum-seekers in the UK." Focus on International Library and Information Work, 38(2): 56-59.
- Case, D. O. 2012. Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs, and Behavior. Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Chatman, E. A. 1987. "The Information World of Low-Skilled Workers." Library and Information Science Research, 9(4): 265-283.
- Chatman, E. A. 1996. "The Impoverished Life-World of Outsiders." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 47(3): 193-206. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4571(199603)47:3<193::AID-ASI3>3.0.CO;2-T
- Childers, T. and Post, J. A. 1975. The Information-Poor in America. Metuchen: Scarecrow Press.
- Cho, Yong-Wan. 2006. "A Review of the Literature about Refugee in Library and Information Science Field." Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 37(1): 193-219.
- Corbin, J. and Strauss, A. L. 2008. Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, Inc.
Courtright, C. 2005. "Health Information-Seeking among Latino Newcomers: An Exploratory Study." Information Research, 10(2). [online] [cited 2006. 10. 2.]
- Davis, M. M. and Bath, P. A. 2002. "Interpersonal Sources of Health and Maternity Information for Somali Women Living in the UK: Information Seeking and Evaluation." Journal of Documentation, 58(3): 302-318. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410210425629
- Fisher, K. E., Durrance, J. C. and Hinton, M. B. 2004. "Information Ground and the Use of Need-Based Serviced by Immigrants in Queens, New York: A Context-Based, Outcome Evaluation Approach." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 55(8): 754-766. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20019
- Gonzales, L. 1999. "Public Libraries Reach Out New North Carolinians: Meeting the Information Needs of Immigrants and Refugees." North Carolina Libraries, 57(1): 4-7.
- Griffiths, P. 2001. "Counselling Asylum Seekers and Refuges: A Study of Kurds in Early and Later Stages of Exile." Journal of Psychotherapy, Counselling & Health, 4(2): 293-313. https://doi.org/10.1080/13642530110073275
- Harris, R. M. and Dewdney, P. 1994. Barriers to Information: How Formal Help Systems Fail Battered Women. Westport: Greenwood Press.
Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma. 1998. Categories of Emotional Distress: Khmer Pathways to Healing. [online] [cited 2013. 1. 11.]
- Heyworth, F. 2004. "Get Involved in Integration." Public Library Journal, 19: 12-16.
- Hoyle, K. N. 1980. "Children's Literature for the Indochinese Refugee: An International Challenge." In Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the IFLA, August 18-23, 1980, Manila, Philippines.
International Food Policy Research Institute. 2013. 2013 Global Hunger Index. Washington DC: International Food Policy Research Institute. [online] [cited 2014. 1. 11.]
- Kang, S. R. 2001. Development of Trauma Scale for North Korean Refugees. M.A. thesis, Department of Psychology, The Graduate School, Yonsei University, Korea.
- Kennan, M. A. et al. 2011. "Settling in: The Relationship between Information and Social Inclusion." Australian Academic & Research Libraries, 42(3): 191-210. https://doi.org/10.1080/00048623.2011.10722232
- Kanyengo, B. K. and Kanyengo, C. W. 2011. "Information Provision in Emergency Settings: The Experience of Refugee Communities in Zambia." Behavioral and Social Sciences Librarian, 30(4): 246-258. https://doi.org/10.1080/01639269.2011.622256
- Katz, E. and Lazarsfeld, P. 1955. Personal Influence. New York: The Free Press.
- Koo, J. H., Cho, Y. W. and Gross, M. 2011. "Coping with Severe Traumatic Stress: Understanding the Role of Information-Seeking among Political Refugees." In Proceedings of the 2011 iConference, February 8-11, 2011, Seattle, WA: University of Washington Information School: 699-701.
- Lazarus, R. and Folkman, S. 1984. Stress, Appraisal and Coping. New York: Springer.
- Mason, E. 1997. "UNHCR. Human Rights and Resources: Collection and Dissemination of Sources." International Journal of Legal Information, 25: 35-86.
- Mason, E. 1999a. "Against All Odds: Refugees Coping in a Strange Land." American Libraries, 30(7): 44-47.
- Mason, E. 1999b. "Researching Refugee and Forced Migration Studies: An Introduction to the Field and the Reference Literature." Behavioral & Social Science Librarian, 18(1): 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1300/J103v18n01_01
- Mason, E. 2000a. "Resolving Refugee Problems: An Introduction to the Executive Committee of the United Nations High Commissioner's Programme and its Documentation." Journal of Government Information, 27(1): 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-0237(99)00156-2
- Mason, E. 2000b. "Forced Migration Studies: Surveying the Reference Landscape." Libri, 50(4): 241-251.
- Metoyer-Duran, C. 1993. "Information Gatekeepers." Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, 28: 111-150.
- Mollel, O. 2001. "International Outreach: Websites on Health and Development." Medical Reference Services Quarterly, 20(3): 57-66. https://doi.org/10.1300/J115v20n03_06
- Olden, A. 1999. "Somali Refugees in London: Oral Culture in a Western Information Environment." Libri, 49(4): 212-224.
Office of Refugee Resettlement in U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. 2012. Who We Serve: Refugees. [online] [cited 2015. 11. 2.]
- Peteman, J. 2002. "Diversity Matter 1: Merton Libraries Change Lives." Library Management, 23(8/9): 437-441.
- Pettigrew, K. 1999. "Waiting for Chiropody: Contextual Results from an Ethnographic Study of the Information Behavior among Attendance at Community Clinics." Information Processing & Management, 35(6): 801-817. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4573(99)00027-8
Qayyum, M. A. et al. 2014. The Provision and Sharing Information Between Service Providers and Settling Refugees. Information Research, 19(2). [online] [cited 2016. 1. 2.]
- Quirke, L. 2011. "Exploring the Settlement Experiences and Information Practices of Afghan Newcomer Youth in Toronto." The Canadian Journal of Information and Library Science, 35(4): 345-353. https://doi.org/10.1353/ils.2011.0025
- Rah, Y. 2007. How School Leaders Address the Needs of Refugees Students. Ph.D. diss., University of Wisconsin-Madison, U.S.
- Raddon, R. and Smith, C. 1998. "Information Needs of Refugee Groups." British Library Research and Innovation Report, 71: 1-67.
- Reitmanova, S. and Gustafson, L. 2008. "'They Can't Understand It': Maternity Health and Care Needs of Immigrant Muslim Women in St. John's, Newfoundland." Maternal and Child Health Journal, 12(1): 101-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-007-0213-4
- Rhodes, S. 1996. "Electronic Information Sources on Refugees and Forced Migration." Information Development, 12(3): 173-177. https://doi.org/10.1177/026666699601200310
- Rhodes, S. 2003. "Profile of the Refugees Studies Centre." University of Oxford, SCONUL Newsletter, 28: 76-80.
- Rhodes, S. 2008. "Information Development for Refugee and Forced Migration Studies: The Refugee Studies Central Library in the Last Decade." Information Development, 24(2): 113-121. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266666908091125
- Schutt, R. 2006. Investigating the Social World. Thousand Oaks: Pine Forge Press.
- Stampino, V. G. 2007. "Improving Access to Multilingual Health Information for Newcomers to Canada." Journal of the Canadian Health Libraries Association, 28(1): 15-18. https://doi.org/10.5596/c07-003
- Thorhauge, J. 2003. "Danish Strategies in Public Library Services to Ethnic Minorities." IFLA Journal, 29(4): 308-312. https://doi.org/10.1177/034003520302900407
- Varheim, A. 2014. "Trust and the Role of the Public Library in the Integration of Refugees: The Case of a Northern Norwegian City." Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 46(1): 62-69. https://doi.org/10.1177/0961000614523636
- Virgilio, D. 2003. "Service to the International Community." Bookmobile & Outreach Services, 6(2), 7-15.
- Ward, P. 2003. "Diversity Matter 3: The Quality Leader Project-Youth Programme." Library Management, 24(6/7): 362-366. https://doi.org/10.1108/01435120310698412
- Lloyd, A. et al. 2013. "Connecting with New Information Landscapes: Information Literacy Practices of Refugees." Journal of Documentation, 69(1): 121-144. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220411311295351
- A Social Approach as a Metatheory to Understand Everyday Information Practices of the Disadvantaged vol.27, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14699/kbiblia.2016.27.1.313