- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Properties of concrete incorporating sand and cement with waste marble powder
- Ashish, Deepankar K. (Department of Civil Engineering, PEC University of Technology) ;
- Verma, Surender K. (Department of Civil Engineering, PEC University of Technology) ;
- Kumar, Ravi (Department of Civil Engineering, Kurukshetra University) ;
- Sharma, Nitisha (Department of Civil Engineering, Kurukshetra University)
- Received : 2016.08.03
- Accepted : 2016.12.07
- Published : 2016.06.25
Marble is a metamorphic rock used widely in construction which increases amount of marble powder obtained from it. Marble powder is a waste product obtained from marble during its processing. Marble waste is high in calcium oxide content which is cementing property but it creates many environmental hazards too if left in environment or in water. In this research, partial replacement of cement and sand by waste marble powder (WMP) has been investigated. Seven concrete mixtures were prepared for this investigation by partially replacing cement, sand with WMP at proportions of 0%, 10% and 15% by weight separately and in combined form. To determine compressive strength, flexural strength and split tensile strength of concrete made with waste marble powder, the samples at the curing ages of 7, 28 and 90 days was recorded. Different tests of durability were applied on samples like ultrasonic pulse wave test, absorption and sorptivity. For further investigation all the results were compared and noticed that WMP has shown good results and enhancing mechanical properties of concrete mix on partially replacing with sand and cement in set proportions. Moreover, it will solve the problem of environmental health hazard.
waste marble powder;concrete;strength;pulse velocity;sorptivity;water absorption;durability;X-ray diffraction
- Aliabdo, A.A., Elmoaty, A.E.M.A. and Auda, E.M. (2014), "Re-use of waste marble dust in the production of cement and concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 50, 28-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.09.005
- Andre, A., Brito, J.D., Rosa, A. and Pedro, D. (2013), "Durability performance of concrete incorporating coarse aggregates from marble industry waste", J. Clean. Prod., 65, 389-396.
- Aruntas, H.Y., Guru, M., Dayi, M. and Tekin, I. (2010), "Utilization of waste marble dust as an additive in cement production", Mater. Des., 31(8), 4039-4042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2010.03.036
- Ashish, D.K., Singh, B. and Singla, S. (2011), "Properties of Fly Ash Bricks", Proceeding of Proceedings of National Conference on Emerging Trends in Civil Engineering (ETCE-2011), Haryana, India, August.
- Ashish, D.K., Singh, B. and Verma, S.K. (2016a), "The effect of attack of chloride and sulphate on ground granulated blast furnace slag concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 4(2), 101-121.
- Ashish, D.K., Verma, S.K., Kumar, R. and Sharma, N. (2016b), "Properties of concrete incorporating waste marble powder as partial substitute of cement and sand", Proceeding of The 2016 World Congress on The 2016 Structures Congress (Strectures16), August 28- September 1, Jeju Island, Korea.
- ASTM C1585 (2013), "Standard test method for measurement of rate of absorption of water by hydraulic-cement concrete", ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM C597 (2002), "Standard test method for pulse velocity through concrete", ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- BS EN 12390-8 (2000), "British standard institution, testing hardened concrete, depth of penetration of water under pressure", British Standards Institution, London, UK.
- Chore, H.S. and Joshi, M.P. (2015), "Strength evaluation of concrete with fly ash and ggbfs as cement replacing materials", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(3), 223-236. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.3.223
- Dar A.R., Verma, S.K., Ashish, D.K. and Dar, M.A. (2015), "Investigation on the properties of non conventional bricks", J. Struct. Eng., 3(4), 26-35.
- Demirel, B. (2010), "The effect of the using waste marble dust as fine sand on the mechanical properties of the concrete", Int. J. Phys. Sci., 5(9), 1372-1380.
- Djebien, R., Belachia, M. and Hebhoub, H. (2015), "Effect of marble waste fines on rheological and hardened properties of sand concrete", Struct. Eng. Mech., 53(6), 1241-1251. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.53.6.1241
- Ergun, A. (2011), "Effects of the usage of diatomite and waste marble powder as partial replacement of cement on the mechanical properties of concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 25(2), 806-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.07.002
- Firat, S., Yilmaz, G., Comret, A.T. and Sumer, M. (2012), "Utilization of marble dust, fly ash and waste sand (Silt-Quartz) in road subbase filling material", J. Civ. Eng., 16(7), 1143-1151.
- Ganesan, N., Indira, P.V. and Santhakumar, A. (2013), "Engineering properties of steel fibre reinforced geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 1(4), 305-318. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc2013.1.4.305
- Givi, A.N., Rashid, S.A., Aziz, F.N.A. and Salle, M.A.M. (2010), "Assessment of the effects of rice husk ash particle size on strength, water permeability and workability of binary blended concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(11), 2145-2150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.04.045
- Guneyisi, E. and Kas, M.G., Mermerdas, K. and Ipek, S. (2014), "Experimental investigation on durability performance of rubberized concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(3), 193-207. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.3.193
- Hebhoub, H., Aoun, H., Belachia, M., Houari, H. and Ghorbel, E. (2011), "Use of waste marble aggregates in concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 25(3), 1167-1171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.09.037
- Hebhoub, H., Belachia, M. and Djebien, R. (2014), "Introduction of sand marble wastes in the composition of mortar", Struct. Eng. Mech., 49(4), 491-498. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.49.4.491
- IS:383 (1970), Indian standard of specification for coarse and fine aggregates from natural sources for concrete (second revision), Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS:516 (1959), Indian standard of methods of test for strength of concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS:7320 (1974), "Specification for concrete slump test apparatus", Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS:8112 (2013), Indian standard of ordinary Portland cement 43 grade-specification (second revision), Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Kumar, G. and Ashish, D.K. (2015a), "Review on feasibility of bamboo in modern construction", Int. J. Civ. Eng., EFES(2), 66-70.
- Kumar, G. and Ashish, D.K. (2015b), "Analyzing the feasibility and behaviour of bamboo reinforced wall panel in RC frame subjected to earthquake loading", UKIERI Concrete Congress - Concrete Research Driving Profit and Sustainability, Jalandhar, India, November.
- Kumar, R. Patyal, V., Lallotra, B. and Ashish, D.K. (2014), "Study of properties of light weight fly ash brick", Int. J. Eng. Res. App., 29.
- Kumar, R., Ashish, D.K. and Najia, L. (2015c), "Properties of non conventional (fly ash) brick: an experimental study", Int. J. Eng. Trends Tech., 24(4), 198-204. https://doi.org/10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V24P237
- Kushwah, R.P.S., Sharma, I.C. and Chaurasia, P.B.L. (2015), "Utilization of marble slurry in cement concrete replacing fine aggregate", Am. J. Eng. Res., 4(1), 55-58.
- Mohamadien, H.A. (2012), "The effect of marble powder and silica fume as partial replacement for cement on mortar", Int. J. Civ. Struct. Eng., 3(2), 418-428.
- Mukharjee, B.B. and Barai, S.V. (2015), "Characteristics of sustainable concrete incorporating recycled coarse aggregates and colloidal nano-silica", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(3), 187-202. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.3.187
- Parande, A.K. (2013), "Role of ingredients for high strength and high performance concret - a review", Adv. Concrete Constr., 1(2), 151-162. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2013.01.2.151
- Patil, A.A., Chore, H.S. and Dode, P.A. (2014), "Effect of curing condition on strength of geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(1), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.1.029
- Prusty, R., Mukharjee, B.B. and Barai, S.V. (2015), "Nano-engineered concrete using recycled aggregates and nano-silica: Taguchi approach", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(4), 253-268. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.4.253
- Rana, A., Kalla, P. and Csetenyi, L.J. (2015), "Sustainable use of marble slurry in concrete", J. Clean. Prod. 94, 304-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.01.053
- Saha, S. and Rajasekaran, C. (2016), "Mechanical properties of recycled aggregate concrete produced with Portland Pozzolana Cement", Adv. Concrete Constr., 4(1), 027-035. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2016.4.1.027
- Saini, P. and Ashish, D.K. (2015), "A review on recycled concrete aggregates", Int. J. Civ. Eng. EFES(1), 71-75.
- Shaikh, F.U.A. (2014), "Effects of alkali solutions on corrosion durability of geopolymer concrete, Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(2), 109-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.2.109
- Shirule, P.A., Ataur, R. and Rakesh, D.G. (2012), "Partial replacement of cement with marble dust powder", Int. J. Adv. Eng. Res. Stud., 1(3), 175-177.
- Singh, B., Ashish, D.K. and Singla, S. (2011), "An experimental study on the effect of ground granulated blast furnace slag on durability characteristics of concrete", Proceedings of National Conference on Emerging Trends in Civil Engineering (ETCE-2011), Haryana, India, August.
- Soliman, N.M. (2013), "Effect of using marble powder in concrete mixes on the behavior and strength of R.C. slabs", Int. J. Current Eng. Tech., 3(5), 1863-1870.
- Sunil, B.M., Manjunatha, L.S., Lolitha, R. and Subhash, C.Y. (2015), "Potential use of mine tailings and fly ash in concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(1), 55-69. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.1.055
- Tang, K., Millard, S. and Beattie, G. (2015), "Technical and economical feasibility of using GGBS in long-span concrete structures", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.1.001
- Temuujin, J., Riessen, S.A.V. and MacKenzie, K.J.D. (2010), "Preparation and characterization of fly ash based geopolymer mortars", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(10), 1906-1910. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.04.012
- Thomas, J. and Harilal, B. (2014), "Fresh and hardened properties of concrete containing cold bonded aggregates", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(2), 77-89. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.2.077
- Verma, S.K. and Ashish, D.K. (2014), "Experimental study on Rubber-Tyre as replecement of coarse aggregate in cement concrete", Proceedings of National Conference on Sustainable Infrastructure Development (NCSID), NITTTR Chandigarh, India, March.
- Wani, S.F., Ashish, D.K, Dar, M.A. and Kumar, R. (2015), "Study on mix design & hardened properties of self-compacting concrete", Int. J. Civil, Struct. Envir. Infrastruct. Eng. Res. Develop., 5(4), 1-10.
- Performance of bricks and brick masonry prism made using coal fly ash and coal bottom ash vol.4, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2016.4.4.231
- The Effect of Curing Conditions on the Properties of Cement-Based Composites Blended with Waste Marble Dust pp.1543-1851, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-018-3254-9