- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance of bricks and brick masonry prism made using coal fly ash and coal bottom ash
- Verma, Surender K. (Department of Civil Engineering, PEC University Technology) ;
- Ashish, Deepankar K. (Department of Civil Engineering, PEC University Technology) ;
- Singh, Joginder (Department of Civil Engineering, PEC University Technology)
- Received : 2016.07.18
- Accepted : 2017.01.03
- Published : 2016.12.25
The major problem of a coal combustion-based power plant is that it creates large quantity of solid wastes. So, to achieve the gainful use of waste materials and to avoid other environmental problems, this study was undertaken. The quantity of coal ash by-products, particularly coal fly ash and coal bottom ash has been increasing from the coal power plants around the world. The other objective of this study was to explore the possibility of utilization of coal ash in the production of ash bricks. In 15 different mixes, Mix Designation M-1 to M-15, the varying percentages of lime and gypsum were used and sand was replaced with coal bottom ash. Further, it has been noticed that the water absorption and compressive strength of mix M-15 is 13.36% and 7.85 MPa which is better than the conventional bricks. The test results of this investigation show that the prism strength of coal ash masonry prisms was more than that of the conventional bricks.
coal fly ash;coal bottom ash;sand;lime;gypsum;compressive strength;water absorption;masonry prism
- Akhtar, J.N., Alam, J. and Akhtar, M.N. (2011), "An experimental study on fibre reinforced fly ash based lime bricks", J. Phys. Sci., 3(11), 1688-1695.
- American Coal Ash Association (2013), Coal Combustion Product, Production and Use Survey Report, Farmington Hills.
- Ashish, D.K., Singh, B. and Singla, S. (2011), "Properties of fly ash bricks", Proceedings of the National Conference on Emerging Trends in Civil Engineering (ETCE-2011), Haryana, India, August.
- Ashish, D.K., Singh, B. and Verma, S.K. (2016a), "The effect of attack of chloride and sulphate on ground granulated blast furnace slag concrete" Adv. Concrete Constr., 4(2), 101-121.
- Ashish, D.K., Verma, S.K., Kumar, R. and Sharma, N. (2016b), "Properties of concrete incorporating waste marble powder as partial substitute of cement and sand", Proceeding of the 2016 World Congress on the 2016 Structures Congress, Jeju Island, Korea, August-September.
- Ashish, D.K., Verma, S.K., Kumar, R. and Sharma, N. (2016c), "Properties of concrete incorporating sand and cement with waste marble powder", Adv. Concrete Constr., 4(2), 145-160. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2016.4.2.145
- Bai, Y., Darcy, F. and Basheer, P.A.M. (2005), "Strength and drying shrinkage properties of concrete containing furnace bottom ash as fine aggregate", Constr. Build. Mater., 19(9), 691-697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2005.02.021
- Banu, T., Billah, M.M., Gulshan, F. and Kurny, A.S.W. (2013), "Experimental studies on fly ash, sand, lime bricks with gypsum addition", Am. J. Mater. Eng. Tech., 11(3), 35-40.
- Benson, C.H. and Bradshaw, S. (2011), "User guideline for foal bottom ash and boiler slag in green infrastructure construction", Recycled Materials Resource Centre, University of Wisconsin Madison, U.S.A.
- BIS:1905 (1987), Code of Practice for Structural Use of Unreinforced Masonry, Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- BIS:3495 (1992), Method of Test for Conventional Building Bricks (Determination of Compressive Strength), Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi, India.
- BIS:3495 (1992), Method of Test for Conventional Building Bricks, (Determination of Water Absorption), Bureau of Indian standard, New Delhi, India.
- BIS:383 (1970), Indian Standard of Specification for Coarse and Fine Aggregates from Natural Sources for Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Chore, H.S. and Joshi, M.P. (2015), "Strength evaluation of concrete with fly ash and ggbfs as cement replacing materials", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(3), 223-236. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.3.223
- Dar, A.R., Verma, S.K., Ashish, D.K. and Dar, M.A. (2015), "Investigation the properties of non-conventional bricks", J. Struct. Eng., 3(4), 26-35.
- Duggal, S.K. (2012), Building Materials, 4th Edition, New Age International (P) Limited Publishers.
- Ganesan, N., Indira, P.V. and Santhakumar, A. (2013), "Engineering properties of steel fibre reinforced geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 1(4), 305-318. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc2013.1.4.305
- Gawatre, D.W. and Vairagade, L.N. (2014), "Strength characteristics of different types of bricks", J. Sci. Res., 3(1), 2247-2252.
- Ghafoori, N. and Bucholc, J. (1996), "Investigation of lignite based bottom ash for structural concrete", J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 8(3), 128-137. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1996)8:3(128)
- Ghafoori, N. and Bucholc, J. (1997), "Properties of high-calcium dry bottom ash concrete", ACI Mater. J., 94(2), 90-101.
- Guneyisi, E., Kas, M.G., Mermerdas, K. and Ipek, S. (2014), "Experimental investigation on durability performance of rubberized concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(3), 193-207. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.3.193
- Kumar, G. and Ashish, D.K. (2015a) "Review on feasibility of bamboo in modern construction", J. Civ. Eng., 2, 66-70.
- Kumar, G. and Ashish, D.K. (2015b) "Analyzing the feasibility and behaviour of bamboo reinforced wall panel in RC frame subjected to earthquake loading", Proceedings of the UKIERI Concrete Congress-Concrete Research Driving Profit and Sustainability, Jalandhar, India, November.
- Kumar, R., Ashish, D.K. and Najia, L. (2015c), "Properties of non-conventional (fly ash) brick: An experimental study", J. Eng. Trends Technol., 24(4), 198-204. https://doi.org/10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V24P237
- Kumar, R., Patyal, V., Lallotra, B. and Ashish, D.K. (2014), "Study of properties of light weight fly ash brick", J. Eng. Res. App., 49-53.
- Mistry, S., Jayesh, P., Zala, L.B., Patel, S., Bhavsar, J.J. and Umrigar, F.S. (2011), "Fly ash masonary: An experimental study", Proceedings of the National Conference on Recent Trends in Engineering & Technology, Gujarat, India, May.
- Mukharjee, B.B. and Barai, S.V. (2015), "Characteristics of sustainable concrete incorporating recycled coarse aggregates and colloidal nano-silica", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(3), 187-202. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.3.187
- Naganathan, S., Mohamed, A.Y.O. and Mustapha, K.N. (2015), "Performance of bricks made using fly ash and bottom ash", Constr. Build. Mater., 96, 576-580. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.08.068
- Naganathan, S., Subramaniam, N. and Mustapha, K.N.B. (2012), "Development of brick using thermal power plant bottom ash and fly ash", Asian J. Civ. Eng., 13(1), 275-287.
- Parande, A.K. (2013), "Role of ingredients for high strength and high performance concrete-A review", Adv. Concrete Constr., 1(2), 151-162. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2013.01.2.151
- Patil, A.A., Chore, H.S. and Dode, P.A. (2014), "Effect of curing condition on strength of geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(1), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.1.029
- Prusty, R., Mukharjee, B.B. and Barai, S.V. (2015), "Nano-engineered concrete using recycled aggregates and nano-silica: Taguchi approach", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(4), 253-268. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.4.253
- Punjab State Council of Science and Technology (2016), http://pscst.gov.in/pscstHTML/brick.html.
- Rajgor, M. and Pitroda, J. (2013), "A miniature ground work for setting industrial wastes", J. Academic Res. Multidiscipl., 1(3), 88-99.
- Reddy, B.V.V. and Gourav, K. (2011), "Strength of lime-fly ash compacts using different curing techniques and gypsum additive", Mater. Struct., 44(10), 1793-1808. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-011-9738-5
- Saha, S. and Rajasekaran, C. (2016), "Mechanical properties of recycled aggregate concrete produced with Portland Pozzolana Cement", Adv. Concrete Constr., 4(1), 27-35. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2016.4.1.027
- Saini, P. and Ashish, D.K. (2015), "A review on recycled concrete aggregates", J. Civ. Eng., 1, 71-75.
- Shaikh, F.U.A. (2014), "Effects of alkali solutions on corrosion durability of geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(2), 109-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.2.109
- Shakir, A.A., Naganathan, S. and Mustapha, K.N. (2013), "Properties of bricks made using fly ash, quarry dust and billet scale, quarry dust and billet scale", Constr. Build. Mater., 41, 131-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.11.077
- Shi-Cong, K. and Chi-Sun, P. (2009), "Properties of concrete prepared with crushed fine stone, furnace bottom ash and fine recycled aggregate as fine aggregate", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(8), 2877-2886. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2009.02.009
- Singh, B., Ashish, D.K. and Singla, S. (2011), "An experimental study on the effect of ground granulated blast furnace slag on durability characteristics of concrete", Proceedings of the National Conference on Emerging Trends in Civil Engineering, Haryana, India, August.
- Singh, M. and Siddique, R. (2014), "Strength properties and micro-structural properties of concrete containing coal bottom ash as partial replacement of fine aggregate", Constr. Build. Mater., 50, 246-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.09.026
- Singh, M. and Siddique, R. (2015), "Effect of low-calcium coal bottom ash as fine aggregate on microstructure and properties of concrete", ACI Mater. J., 112(5) 693-704.
- Sumathi, A. and Mohan, K.S.R. (2014), "Compressive strength of fly ash with addition of lime, gypsum and quarry dust", J. Chem-Tech Res., 7(1), 28-36.
- Sunil, B.M., Manjunatha, L.S., Lolitha, R. and Subhash, C.Y. (2015), "Potential use of mine tailings and fly ash in concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(1), 55-69. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.1.055
- Tang, K., Millard, S. and Beattie, G. (2015), "Technical and economical feasibility of using GGBS in long-span concrete structures", Adv. Concrete Constr., 3(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2015.3.1.001
- Thomas, J. and Harilal, B. (2014), "Fresh and hardened properties of concrete containing cold bonded aggregates", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(2), 77-89. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.2.077
- Varshney, M., Varshney, M. and Sharma, A. (2014), "Techno-economic feasibility study of stone stone dust ash bricks over ordinary clay bricks in affordable housing", J. Sci. Eng. Tech., 3(1), 63-69.
- Verma, S.K. and Ashish, D.K. (2014), "Experimental study on rubber-tyre as replecement of coarse aggregate in cement concrete", Proceedings of the National Conference on Sustainable Infrastructure Development (NCSID), NITTTR Chandigarh, India, March.
- Vidhya, K., Kandasamy, S., Malaimagal, U.S. and Karthikeyan, S.R. (2013), "Experimental studies on pond ash brick", J. Eng. Res. Develop., 6(5), 6-11.
- Wani, S.F., Ashish, D.K., Dar, M.A. and Kumar, R. (2015), "Study on mix design & hardened properties of self-compacting concrete", J. Civil Struct., Env. Infrastr. Eng. Res. Develop., 5(4), 1-10.
- Seismic behavior and shear strength of new-type fired perforated brick walls with high void ratio pp.2048-4011, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433218802690