- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Healthcare Workers' Cultural Competence and Multi-Cultural Job Stress
의료종사자의 다문화 역량과 직무스트레스
- Kwon, Su A (Daejeon St. Mary's Hospital) ;
- Yang, Nam Young (Department of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Song, Min Sun (Department of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Kim, Nam Yi (Konyang University Hospital)
- Received : 2016.10.31
- Accepted : 2016.12.02
- Published : 2016.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the level of cultural competence, intercultural communicative competence, and multi-cultural job stress among healthcare workers and to explore factors that are related to their cultural competence. Methods: The study subjects were 142 healthcare workers at a general hospital. Data were collected using a questionnaire on cultural competence, intercultural communicative competence, and multi-cultural job stress. A t-test, ANOVA Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple regression analysis were conducted using SPSS. Results: Cultural competence was significantly related to the necessity of multi-cultural education, and intercultural communicative competence was significantly related to age, a vocational career, communication in foreign languages, and having multi-cultural neighbors. Moreover, multi-cultural job stress was significantly related to religion. In multiple regression results, cultural competence was found to be related to intercultural communicative competence and multi-cultural job stress. Conclusion: Healthcare workers who are set to care for multi-cultural patients should improve intercultural communicative competence and reduce multi-cultural job stress.
- Anderson, L. M., Scrimshaw, S. C., Fullilove, M. T., Fielding, J. E., Normand, J., & Task Force on Community Preventive Services. (2003). Culturally competent healthcare systems: a systematic review. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 24(3), 68-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(02)00657-8
- Beach. M. C., Saha. S., & Cooper. L. A. (2006). The role and relationship of cultural competence and patient-centeredness in health care quality. New York: The Commonwealth Fund.
- Caffrey, R., Neander, W., Markle, D., & Stewart, B. (2005). Improving the cultural competence of nursing students:Results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an international immersion experience. Journal of Nursing Education, 44(5), 234.
- Campinha-Bacote, J. (2002). The process of cultural competence in the delivery of healthcare services: a model of care. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 13(3), 181-184 https://doi.org/10.1177/10459602013003003
- Chae, D. H., Park, Y. H., Kang, K. H., & Lee, T. H. (2012). A study on factors affecting cultural competency of general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 18(1), 76-86. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- Choi, K. S., Lee, W. S., Park, Y. S., Jun, M. H., Lee, S. Y., Park, Y. W., Park, S. Y., & Thongpriwan, V. (2016). The relationship between cultural competency and the importance of nurses' qualities perceived by undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 27(2), 163-172. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.2.163
- Choi, S. Y. (2012). A study on the antecedent factors affecting helping professions' cultural competence-focusing on social workers, teachers, nurses, and social work civil servants. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 64(2), 5-29.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A. G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Im, H., & Lee, H. Y. (2014). Understanding the forming process of cultural competence among service providers in multi-cultural settings. The Journal of Vocational Education Research, 33(1), 201-221.
- Jung, G. C. (2016). The study on the effect of institutionalized racism on cultural competence and stress from tasks related to multicultural: Focused on multicultural family support center. Unpublished master's thesis, Baekseok University, Cheonan.
- Ko, M. S., Choi, E. H., & Choi, K. O. (2016). A study on the relationship of cultural competence, self efficacy and job stress in nurses caring for hospitalized foreign patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 22(1), 68-77. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2016.22.1.68
- Koh, C. K., & Koh, S. K. (2009). Married female migrants’ experience of health care service. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15(1), 89-99. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089
- Kohlbry, P. W. (2016). The impact of international servicelearning on nursing students’ cultural competency. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 48(3), 303-311. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12209
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute (2013). Statistics on foreign patients in 2012 [Internet]. Osong: KHIDI; 2013 [cited 2014 January 5]. Available from:http://medicalkorea.khidi.or.kr/C/C_01V.aspx?BOARD_GUBUN=B1&CONTENTS_GUBUN=M7&CGUBUN=0&BSEQ=967&PSEQ=967&WTER=hjlily.
- Lee, C. K., Park, Y. S., Lee, H. K., & Lee, K. J. (2015). The effect of a convergence multi-cultural nursing education program on cultural competence and empathy for nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(12), 337-346. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.337
- Lee, D. (2011). A comparative study of intercultural communicative competence of korean students as sojourners and american students as hosts in american universities. Journal of Communication Studies, 19(4), 65-84.
- Lee, E. M., & Kim, S. H. (2015). Variables affecting the intercultural communication skills of nursing students. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, 18(2), 78-87.
- Matteliano, M. A., & Street, D. (2012). Nurse practitioners’ contributions to cultural competence in primary care settings. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 24(7), 425-435. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2012.00701.x
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family (2016). A study on the national survey of multicultural families 2015. [Internet], Seoul: Author: 2015 [cited 2016 June 14]. Available from:http://www.mogef.go.kr/korea/view/policyGuide/policyGuide06_09_02.jsp?func=view&tPage=0&key_type=&key=&search_start_date=&search_end_date=&class_id=0&idx=702965
- Munoz, C., & Luckmann, J. (2005). Transcultural communication in nursing (2nd ed.). Cengage learning: Washington.
- Oh, W. O. (2011). Factors influencing cultural sensitivity among nursing students. Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 17(4), 222-229. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.222
- Park, D. Y., & Jung, K. H. (2014). The influence of self esteem, interpersonal relations and intercultural communicative competence on cultural competence of nursing students. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 14(11), 337-346. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.11.337
- Park, J. (2011). Study on cultural competence of nurses working in general hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Park, M. S., & Kweon, Y. R. (2013). Effects of a cultural competence promotion program for multicultural maternity nursing care: Case-based small group learning. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 43(5), 627-635
- Schim, S. M., Doorenbos, A. Z., & Borse, N. N. (2005). Cultural competence among Ontario and Michigan healthcare providers. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 37(4), 354-360. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2005.00061.x
- Schim, S. M., Doorenbos, A. Z., Miller, J., & Benkert, R. (2003). Development of a cultural competence assessment instrument. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 11(1), 29-40. https://doi.org/10.1891/jnum.22.214.171.124062
- Seon, K. J. (2013). The relationship between job-stress and psychological-exhaustion of counselors at multicultural family support center. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, 18(7), 157-164. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2013.18.7.157
- Taylor, R. A., & Alfred, M. V. (2010). Nurses’ perceptions of the organizational supports needed for the delivery of culturally competent care. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 32(5), 591-609. https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945909354999
- Won, S. Y., & Moon, J. H. (2016). The multidimensionality of multicultural competence and its antecedents: focusing on workers of the multicultural family support center. The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 19(4), 143-165.
- Yang, S. O., Kwon, M. S., & Lee, S. H. (2012). The factors affecting cultural competency of visiting nurses and community health practitioners. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 23(3), 286-295. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.286