- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Aging Anxiety and Successful Aging on the Personality Traits of Elderly
노인의 성격특성이 노화불안과 성공적 노화에 미치는 영향
- Yang, Nam Young (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- 양남영 (건양대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.10.10
- Accepted : 2016.11.30
- Published : 2016.12.31
Purpose: In this study, we sought to identify the impact of aging anxiety and successful aging on the personality traits of elderly. Method: Subjects were 108 elderly persons aged more than 65 years. Data collected from June to November 2015 were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-tests, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and stepwise multiple regression. Results: With regard to the mean scores of personality traits, conscientiousness yielded the highest score, and neuroticism the lowest. The mean score on aging anxiety was below average, and that on successful aging was above average. Aging anxiety differed significantly according to age, present job, economic status, and health status. Successful aging differed significantly according to having a spouse, economic status, and health status. Significant correlations were found between anxiety and conscientiousness, extraversion, and neuroticism, and between successful aging and conscientiousness, agreeableness, extraversion, openness, and neuroticism. Conscientiousness and neuroticism had an effect on aging anxiety (23.2%), whereas conscientiousness, agreeableness, extraversion, openness, and neuroticism affected aging anxiety (45.3%). Conclusion: These findings indicate that personality traits reduce aging anxiety and lead to successful aging among elderly.
- Araujo, L., Ribeiro, O., Teixeira, L., & Paul, C. (2015). Successful aging at 100 years: the relevance of subjectivity and psychological resources. International Psychogeriatrics, 24(July), 179-188.
- Bang, S. Y. (2014). Loneliness and suicidal ideation according to character type in elderly. Journal of Korean Contents Association, 14(6), 319-327.
- Chapman, B. P., Duberstein, P., & Lyness, J. M. (2007). Personality traits, education, and health-related quality of among older adult primary care patients. Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 62(6), 343-352. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/62.6.P343
- Choi, S. O., Kim, S. N., Shin, K. I., & Lee, J. H. (2008). Anxiety about aging of a resident community of adult. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 28(1), 19-31.
- Cosco, T. D., Prina, A. M., Perales, J., Stephan, B. C. M., & Brayne, C. (2014). Operational definitions of susccessful aging: a systematic review. International Psychogeriatrics, 26(3), 373-381. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610213002287
- Costa, P. T., & McCrae, R. R. (1997). Longituginal stability of adult personnality. In R. Hogan, J. A. Johnson, & S. R. Briggs(Eds.), Handbook of personality psychology(pp. 269-290). Orlando. FL: Academic Press.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A. G., & Buchner, A. (2011). G*Power 3 : a flexible statistical power analysis power analysis program for the social, behavior, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Guilford, J. P., & Zimmerman, W. S. (1949). The guilford -zimmerman temperament survey. Beverly Hills, CA:Sheridan supply.
- Han, S. Y., & Yun, S. N. (2015). Successful aging and the influencing factors in the lorean elderly: focused on family support. Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, 26(4), 372-379. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.4.372
- Harris, L. A., & Clancy Dollinger, S. C. (2003). Individual differences in personallity traits and anxiety about aging. Personallity and Individual Differences, 34, 187-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00019-3
- Jang, H. S. (2012). Relationships between Aging Anxiety, Trait Anxiety and 5-factor Personality Traits in College Students and Older Adults. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 25(1), 1-18.
- Jeong, J. H., & Choi, S. I. (2011). The effect of personality traits on self-esteem and life satisfaction of the elderly. Family and Environment Research, 49(8), 47-61.
- Kahn, R., Goldfarb, R., Pollack, M., & Peck, A. (1960). Brief objective measures for the determination of mental status in the aged. American Journal of Psychiatry, 117, 326-328. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.117.4.326
- Kim, A. L. (2013). The effect of psychological well-being and ego integrity on successful aging of elders-focused on the elderly in seoul-. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 15(4), 2041-2054.
- Kim, D, B. (2008). The study on the development of the korean elderly's successful aging scale. Korean Jounal of Social Welfare, 60(1), 211-231.
- Kim, J. H., & Park, J. Y. (2015). The influence of anxiety over aging of elderly group on successful aging and the mediation effect of social support. Journal of Korean Contents Association, 15(9), 210-222. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.210
- Kim, S. Y., Kim, J. M., Yoo, J. A., Bae, K. Y., Kim, S. W., Yang, S. J., Shin, I. S., & Yoon, J. S. (2010). Standardization and validation of big five inventory-korean version(BFI-K) in elders. Korean Journal Biological Psychiatry, 17(1), 15-25.
- Kim, W. (2010). A comparative study on anxiety about aging of older adults in korea and the united states. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 47, 71-94.
- Lasher, K. P., & Faulkender, P. J. (1993). Measurement of aging anxiety: Development of the anxiety about aging scale. International Journal of Aging & Human Development, 37(4), 247-259. https://doi.org/10.2190/1U69-9AU2-V6LH-9Y1L
- Lynch, S. M. (2000). Measurement and prediction of aging anxiety. Research on Aging, 22(5), 533-558. https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027500225004
- Moon, J. W., Kim, S. Y., Kim, J. M., Kang, H. J., Kim, S. W., Shin, I. S., Kim, J. T., Park, M. S., Cho, K. H., & Yoon, J. S. (2014). Effects of personality traits on depression and anxiety in stroke patients. Journal Korean Society Biology Therapy Psychiatry, 20(2), 151-159.
- Moon, M. J. (2013). Factors influencing successful aging in elderly people living in rural areas. Journal Korean Gerontology Nursing, 15(2), 165-174.
- Rowe, J. W., & Kahn, R. H. (1998). Successful Aging. New York: Dell Publishing a Division of Random House.
- Seong, J. S. (2013). Aging anxiety and death attitudes according to age and sex in middle-aged adults. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejon.
- Shin, K. I. (2013). Understanding the aging anxiety of the middle aged adults by using Q-methodogy. Korean Journal of Counseling, 14(6), 3595-3614. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.6.201312.3595
- Shin, Y. S., & Kim, E. H. (2009). A study on health behaviors, health status and anxiety about aging for the elderly-focused on the elderly in senior center-. Journal Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, 20(2). 179-188.
- Statistics Korea. (2015). Social indicaters in korea [Internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea. 2015 [cited 2015 March 27]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal.korea/kor_nw/2/1/indexboard?bmode=read&aSeq=334501.
- Vaillant, G. E. (2002). Aging well. Boston: Little Brown.