- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors influencing fall prevention nursing performance of hospital nurses
병원간호사의 낙상예방간호 수행 영향요인
- Jang, Keong-Sook (Department of Nursing, Cheongju University) ;
- Kim, Hae-Sook (Department of Nursing, Cheongju University)
- Received : 2016.11.22
- Accepted : 2016.12.19
- Published : 2016.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to explore the factors influencing evidence-based fall prevention nursing performance of hospital nurses. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 344 nurses from three general hospitals from January 20 to March 10, 2013. The study instruments included general characteristics of the subjects, and awareness and performance of fall prevention. Data were analyzed by t test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation, and multiple regression using SPSS v. 20.0. Results: There were statistically significant differences in awareness and performance according to age, marital status, clinical experiences, workplace, experience of fall prevention education, knowledge of fall prevention, compliance with fall prevention, attention level toward prevention, recognition level of potential falls, nurse responsibility for falls, importance of fall prevention, efforts level for fall prevention, and awareness score of falls prevention. There was a positive correlation among awareness and performance of fall prevention. Based on the multiple regression analysis, compliance with fall prevention, efforts level for fall prevention, and awareness score of falls prevention were significant predictors for performance of fall prevention. The explanation power of the model was 64.1%. Conclusion: The findings revealed the need to develop an effective nursing intervention to improve hospital nurses' performance for fall prevention.
- Kuschel BM, Laflamme L, Moller J. The risk of fall injury in relation to commonly prescribed medications among older people-a Swedish case-control study. Eur J Publ Health 2014;25(3):527-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/cku120 https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/cku120
- Kim YS, Choi KSM. Fall risk factors and fall risk assessment of inpatients. Journal of Adult Nursing 2013;25(1): 74-82. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.1.74 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.1.74
- Kang YO, Song RY. Identifying characteristics of fall episodes and fall-related risks of hospitalized patints. J Muscle and Joint Health 2015;22(3): 149-59. https://doi.org/110.5953/JMJH.2015.22.3.149 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.3.149
- National Patient Safety Agency. Slips, trips and falls in hospital. Available at: http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/?entryid45=59821 (Reference number 0483, 2007)
- Bergland A, Wyller TB. Risk factors for serious fall related injury in elderly women living at home. Injury Prevention 2004;10(5): 308-13. https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2003.004721 https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2003.004721
- Korea Consumer Agency. Medical malpractice: falls due to neglecting safety management in a hospital. Available at: http://www.kca.go.kr/brd/m_32/view.do?seq=749&multi_itm_seq=2 (November 24, 2006)
- Kim SJ, Lee YM. Falls risk factors of elderly inpatients. J Korean Data Analysis Society 2014;16(4): 2191-203.
- Ju JM, Tak YJ. Influencing factors of the severity of occupational fall injury. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2016;20(2):113-25. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2016.20.2.113 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2016.20.2.113
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario. Prevention of fall and fall injuries in the older adult. Best Practice Guidelines(Revised). Available at: http://rnao.ca/bpg/guidelines/prevention-falls-and-fall-injuries-older-adult (Revised 2005, supplement 2011)
- Sung YH, Kwon IG, Kim KH. Factors influencing falls in inpatients. J of Korean Acad Fund Nurs 2006;13(2):200-7.
- Hur JY, Kim HJ. Relationship of risk factors, knowledge and attitude to falls in elderly patients. J of Korean Gerontol Nurs 2009;11(1):38-50.
- Hwang I.Y. A study on knowledge, attitude, and implementation of clinical nursing practice guideline for fall prevention among hospital nurses working in the small and medium sized hospitals. Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University 2011, Gyeongnam, Korea.
- Seo OI. Influence of knowledge and attitude on behaviors of falls prevention activities in patient among university hospital nurse. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea 2008, Seoul, Korea.
- Park KY, Han DW. Physical therapist's attitudes to the falls and predictors of implementing fall prevention. J Korean Data Analysis Society 2012;14(5):2585-94.
- Lee IK, Choi JY. Factors Associated with Nurses' Activities for Hospital Fall Prevention. J Korean Rehab Nurs 2013;16(1):55-62. https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2013.55 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2013.55
- Park MK, Kim HY. Effects of health belief on fall prevention activities of emergency room nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2014;20(2):176-86. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.176 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.176
- Cunningham JB, McCrum-Gardner E. Power, effect and sample size using GPower: practical issues for researchers and members of research ethics committees. Evidence-Based Midwifery 2007;5(4):132-7.
- Lyons SS. Fall prevention for older adults. University of Iowa Gerontological Nursing Interventions Research Center, Research Translation and Dissemination Core, 2004.
- American Geriatrics Society, British Geriatrics Society, AGS/BGS Clinical Practice Guideline: Prevention of Falls in Older Persons. Available at: https://www.americangeriatrics.org/health_care_professionals/clinical_practice/clinical_guidelines, 2010.
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. Preventing Falls and Harm from Falls in Older People: Best Practice Guidelines. Available at: https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/.../falls-prevention-resources, 2009.
- Best Practice Committee of the Health Care Association of Ne[cited w Jersey. Fall Management Guidelines. Available at: http://www.hcanj.org/best-practices/clinical, 2007.
- NICE. Falls in older people: assessing risk and prevention Guidance and guidelines Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg161?unlid=39107583020168179759 (Published date: June 2013)
- Yoo MS, Son YJ. Ham, H. M., Park MM, & Um AH. A Comparative study of nurses recognition and practice level of general nosocomial infection, MRSA and VRE infection control. J of Korean Acad Fund Nurs 2004;11(1): 31-40.
- Lee YM. The recognition and performance of nurses upon preventing count error in the operating room. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea 2011, Seoul, Korea.
- Kwon MS. Relations among knowledge, fear and efficacy of fall in the community dwelling elderly. J of Korean Acad Comm Health Nurs 2010;21(2):139-47. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.2.139 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.2.139