- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic experiment and analysis of rectangular bottom strengthened steel-concrete composite columns
- Hui, Cun (School of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Zhongyuan University of Technology) ;
- Zhu, Yanzhi (School of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Zhongyuan University of Technology) ;
- Cao, Wanlin (College of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Beijing University of Technology) ;
- Wang, Yuanqing (Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University)
- Received : 2015.09.11
- Accepted : 2015.11.14
- Published : 2016.02.29
In order to study the working mechanism of rectangular steel-concrete composite columns subjected to compression-bending load and further determine the seismic performance index, a bottom strengthened rectangular steel reinforced concrete (SRC) column with concealed steel plates and a bottom strengthened rectangular concrete filled steel tube (CFST) columns were proposed. Six column models with different configurations were tested under horizontal low cyclic loading. Based on the experiments, the load-bearing capacity, stiffness and degradation process, ductility, hysteretic energy dissipation capacity, and failure characteristics of the models were analyzed. The load-bearing capacity calculation formulas for a normal section and an oblique section of bottom strengthened rectangular steel-concrete composite columns were pesented and a finite element (FE) numerical simulation of the classical specimens was performed. The study shows that the load-bearing capacity, ductility, and seismic energy dissipation capacity of the bottom strengthened rectangular steel-concrete composite columns are significantly improved compared to the conventional rectangular steel-concrete composite columns and the results obtained from the calculation and the FE numerical simulation are in good agreement with those from the experiments. The rectangular steel-concrete composite column with bottom strengthened shows better seismic behavior and higher energy dissipation capacity under suitable constructional requirements and it can be applied to the structure design of high-rise buildings.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Education Commission
- Cai, J. and Long, Y.L. (2007), "Axial load behavior of rectangular CFT stub columns with binding bars", Adv. Struct. Eng., 10(5), 551-565. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943307782417663
- Cao, W.L., Hui, C., Dong, H.Y., Xu, F.F. and Qiao, Q.Y. (2013), "Study on seismic behavior of bottom strengthened rectangular steel tube reinforced concrete columns", World Earthq. Eng., 29(3), 14-21.
- CECS 159:2004 (2004), Technical Specification for Structures with Concrete-filled Rectangular Steel Tube Members, China Planning Press, Beijing, China.
- Chen, Y.Y., Wang, H.S., Zhao, X.Z., Hu, J.L., Wang, D.S., Jiang, W.W. and Bao, L.J. (2008), "Experimental study on hysteretic behavior of SRC columns with high ratio of core steel", J. Build. Struct., 29(3), 31-39.
- Choi, Y.H., Kim, K.S. and Choi, S.M. (2008), "Simplified P-M interaction curve for square steel tube filled with high-strength concrete", Thin-Wall. Struct., 46(5), 506-515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.10.008
- Chung, K., Chung, J. and Choi, S. (2007), "Prediction of pre- and post-peak behavior of concrete-filled square steel tube columns under cyclic loads using fiber element method", Thin-Wall. Struct., 45(9), 747-758. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.06.003
- Elwan, S.K. and Rashed, A.S. (2011) "Experimental behavior of eccentrically loaded R.C. short columns strengthened using GFRP wrapping", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 39(2), 207-221. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.39.2.207
- Elwan, S.K. and Omar, M.A. (2014) "Experimental behavior of eccentrically loaded RC slender columns strengthened using GFRP wrapping", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(3), 271-285. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.3.271
- GB 50010-2010 (2010), Code for Design of Concrete Structure, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China.
- Han, L.H., Ren, Q.X. and Li, W. (2010), "Tests on inclined, tapered and STS concrete-filled steel tubular (CFST) stub columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66(10), 1186-1195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.03.014
- Hui, C., Cao, W.L., Dong, H.Y. and Xu, F.F. (2012), "Study on seismic behavior of bottom strengthened rectangular concrete filled steel tube columns", World Earthq. Eng., 28(4), 161-169.
- JGJ 138-2001 (2001), Technical Specification for Steel Reinforced Concrete Composite Structure, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China.
- Liao, F.Y. and Han, L.H. (2010), "Performance of concrete-filled steel tube reinforced concrete columns with square sections", Eng. Mech., 27(4), 153-162.
- Lu, X.L., Yin, X.W. and Jiang, H.J. (2014), "Experimental study on hysteretic properties of SRC columns with high steel ratio", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(3), 287-303. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.3.287
- Sav, V., Campian, C. and Senila, M. (2011), "Composite steel-concrete columns with high strength concrete versus normal strength concrete", Civil Eng. Arch., 54(1), 74-81.
- Weng, C.C., Yin, Y.L., Wang, J.C. and Liang, C.Y. (2008), "Seismic cyclic loading test of SRC columns confined with 5-spirals", Sci. China Ser. E-Tech. Sci., 51(5), 529-555.
- Yu, Z.W., Ding, F.X. and Cai, C.S. (2007), "Experimental behavior of circular concrete-filled steel tube stub columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(2), 165-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.03.009
- Zhou, X.H., Liu, J.P. and Zhang, S.M. (2010), "Seismic behavior of ultra short columns of square tubed high strength reinforced concrete", China Civil Eng. J., 43(8), 1-10.
- Seismic performance of composite column with double plastic hinges vol.182, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.09.024