- Serial No. 45
DOI QR Code
Imagining through webtoon: Webtoon-focused convergence education project in middle school
웹툰으로 상상하기: 중학교 웹툰 중심의 융합교육 프로젝트
- Received : 2016.11.01
- Accepted : 2016.12.01
- Published : 2016.12.31
The changes in media environments have impacted on the ways in which knowledges are formed and transmitted and therefore the relevance of the traditional school subjects have been increasingly questioned. In this context, the discourses of the reformation of the 21st century schooling have focused on convergence education and media literacy education. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the practices of transdisciplinary integrated curriculum focusing on digital media content are grown voluntarily in schools. This research is a case study of a convergence educational project that was initiated by a middle school teacher who designed and implemented a unique program of the transdisciplinary class of Korean focusing on reading webtoons with the linked program of a 'Book Club Activity' that was a part of 'Creative Experiential Activitites'. Based on the analysis of the documents, participatory observation of a main event and the interview with the teacher, this article discusses how the webtoon-focused convergence education project might have achieved meaningful connections between a subject-focused learning and a creative experiences-focused learning; between in and out of school learning spaces; between the real and imaginative worlds; and between the boundaries of the popular culture and the arts. The main finding of the research can be summarized as follows: Firstly, webtoon as the subject of the study can be an effective medium of transdisciplinary integrated curriculum. Secondly, the convergence project based on webtoons can create meaningful learning spaces in and out of school environments in terms of creating more learner-participatory learning culture as well as connecting students' everyday lives, popular arts and their learning about culture. Another important finding of this research is the rediscovery of the teacher's role in terms of mediating the voices of students as readers in the process of constructing and implementing the integrated curriculum.
webtoon;convergence education;Korean education;arts education;transdisciplinary integrated curriculum;learner participation
- 박유신, 애니메이션 창작교육에서 내러티브의 교육적 가치, 중앙대학교 박사학위논문. 2012.
- 박유신, 문화예술교육을 위한 교사차원 교육과정 개발과정 연구-만화애니메이션 과목을 중심으로, 만화 애니메이션 연구, 43호, 2016. 387-433,
- 소경희, 학교지식의 변화요구에 따른 대안적 교육과정 설계방향 탐색, 교육과정 연구, 24.3 2006 ,39-59.
- 이상은, 소경희, 각국의 교육과정 문서에 제시된 범교과적 교육과정(Cross-Curricula) 접근 방식 분석: 영국, 호주, 캐나다, 한국을 중심으로, 교육과정연구, 2008, 26.1: 59-79.
- 정현선.정혜승.김정자.민병곤.손원숙, 초등학생의 매체 문식 활동조사 연구. 독서연구, 2014, 33:127-170.
- 정현선.박유신.전경란.박한철.이지선.노자연.이현석(2015). 미디어 문해력(media literacy) 향상을 위한 교실수업 개선방안 연구, 교육부(교육부 2015-12).
- Drake.S.M, 박영무, 허영식, 유제순 역, 교육과정 통합의 기초, 교육과학사, 2009/원저:1998.
- Laurizen & Jeager, 강현석 외 역, 내러티브 교육과정의 이론과 실제, 2007/원저:1997.
- McLuhan, M, 임상원 역, 구텐베르크 은하계, 커뮤니케이션북스, 2003/원저: 1962.
- Gibbons, M., Limoges, C., Nowotny, H., Schwartzman, S., Scott, P., &Trow, M. (1994). The new production of knowledge: The dynamics of science and research in contemporary societies. Sage.
- Hirst, P. H. (1965). Liberal education and the nature of knowledge. Philosophical analysis and education, 2, 113-40.
- Ito, M., Gutierrez, K., Livingstone, S., Penuel, B., Rhodes, J., Salen, K., Schor,J., Sefton-Green, J., Watkins, S.C.(2013). Connected Learning: An Agenda for Research and Design. Irvine, CA.: Digital Media and Learning Research Hub.
- Jewitt, C. & Kress, G.(2003). Multimodal Literacy. Peter Lang.
- Savoie, J. M. (1995). Problem-Based Learning in social studies: Results of Field Trial with Adolescents. Doctorial Dissertation, The University of New Brunswick.
- Shepherd, N. G. (1998). The Probe Method : A Problem-Based Learning Model's Affect on CriticalThinking Skills of Fourth and Fifth Grade Social Studies Students. Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences, 59(3-A) : 0779.