- Volume 49 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Case Report on the Sea-Trial of the Seabed Drill System and Its Technical Trend
해저 착저식 시추기 시험시추 보고 및 기술 동향
- Pak, Sang Joon (Deep-sea & Seabed Mineral Resources Research Center, Korea Institute of Ocean Sceince & Technology) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Sub (Deep-sea & Seabed Mineral Resources Research Center, Korea Institute of Ocean Sceince & Technology)
- Received : 2016.11.07
- Accepted : 2016.12.27
- Published : 2016.12.28
Seabed drilling system has recently been used to drill seafloor mineral resources. This case report highlights the procedure and result of sea-trial of seabed drilling system at off-shore of Japan on March, 2016 as well as briefs an international-technical trend of seabed drilling system. In case of having less than 100 m drill depth, seabed drilling system is favorable for seafloor mineral deposits which are mostly distributed within a narrow district and situated between 1000~3000 m water depth, compared with vessel-mounted drilling system. The system is featured by the remotely-operated drill gear, which has top drives, drill strings and mud system on it. The core samples are generally recovered to ship with seabed driller after a dive. In this sea-trail, recovery rate of core samples averagely shows about 55% and the recovered rocks mostly correspond to fresh and/or weak-altered basalt. In case of drilling hydrothermal ore deposit, the recovery rate would be lower than 55% because of the fragile nature of ores. Alternatively it is used to collect cutting chips through riser or bins in order to increase the recovery rates. Recently a reverse circulation method is taken considered to acquire the better cutting-chips. Three-leg type outrigger system and four-leg type leveling system are the competing landing-instruments of seabed drill system. However the landing efficiency using these gears has to be further monitored due to lack of case reports.
Grant : 남서태평양 및 인도양 해양광물자원(해저 열수광상, 망간각) 개발
- Benthic. http://www.benthic.com/index.php
- Brown, M. (2014) Definition, Extraction and Processing of a Bulk Mineral Resource in an Offshore Environment. Presented to: AusIMM Monograph 30 Road show. Wellington, New Zealand.
- Cellular Robotics. Seafloor Drills. http://www.cellula.com/technology/seafloor-drills/
- Forum. http://www.f-e-t.com/our-brands/
- Fukada Salvage & Marine Works Co., Ltd. http://www.fe-t.com/our-brands/
- JAMSTEC. IODP Expedition 337 Deep Coalbed Biosphere off Shimokita. http://www.jamstec.go.jp/chikyu/exp337/e/expedition.html
- Mannochio, A. (2016) Personal Communication, 8 March, 2016.
- Seafloor Geotec. Equipment: Seafloor Drill. http://www.seafloor.com/equipment/ZzBBj/seafloor-drill
- Sterk, R. and Stein, J.K. (2015) Seabed Mineral Deposits: An Overview of Sampling Techniques and Future Developments. Paper presented to: Deep Sea Mining Summit. Aberdeen, Scotland. 29p.
- Stuart, S. (2016) Personal Communication, 14 January, 2016.
- Williamson & Associates. Drills. http://www.wassoc.com/ocean-engineering/drills