- Volume 49 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
LA-MC-ICPMS U-Pb Ages of the Detrital Zircons from the Baengnyeong Group: Implications of the Dominance of the Mesoproterozoic Zircons
신원생대 백령층군 사암의 쇄설성 저어콘 LA-MC-ICPMS U-Pb 연령: 중원생대 집중연령의 의미
- Kim, Myoung Jung (Division of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Jeong-Woong (Soong-Moon High School) ;
- Lee, Tae-Ho (Division of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Pukyong National University) ;
- Song, Yong-Sun (Division of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Kye-Hun (Division of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Pukyong National University)
- 김명정 (부경대학교 일반대학원 지구환경시스템과학부) ;
- 박정웅 (숭문고등학교) ;
- 이태호 (부경대학교 일반대학원 지구환경시스템과학부) ;
- 송용선 (부경대학교 일반대학원 지구환경시스템과학부) ;
- 박계헌 (부경대학교 일반대학원 지구환경시스템과학부)
- Received : 2016.10.04
- Accepted : 2016.12.16
- Published : 2016.12.28
The U-Pb ages of detrital zircons from the Baengnyeong Group were determined by LA-MC-ICPMS, yielding condensed age population in the range from 1100 Ma to 1800 Ma corresponding to the Mesoproterozoic to late Paleoproterozoic. However, detrital zircons of ca.1800-2000 Ma or ca. 2500 Ma ages, which appear frequently in the lower Paleozoic Joseon Supergroup and the upper Paleozoic Pyeongan Supergroup are lacking in the Baengnyeong Group. Such characteristics are identical to those of the Neoproterozoic Sangwon System of North Korea, suggesting that the Baengnyeong Group might be the southwestern extension of the Sangwon System. The zircon age distribution patterns from the Impi Formation in the Gunsan area closely resemble those of the Baengnyeong Group, implying possible correlation of the Impi Formation to the Sangwon System. Therefore, the Mesoproterozoic detrital zircons reported from the Hwangangni Formation of the Okcheon Metamorphic Belt and the Myobong, Sambangsan and Sesong Formations of the Taebaeksan Basin might be derived from the provenances within the Korean peninsula.
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Andersen, T. (2002) Correction of common lead in U-Pb analyses that do not report 204Pb. Chemical Geology v.192, p.59-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2541(02)00195-X
- Cho, D.-L. (2007) SHRIMP zircon dating of a low-grade meta-sandstone from the Taean Formation: provenance and its tectonic implications. KIGAM Bulletin, v.11(8), p.9-14.
- Cho, D.-L. (2014) SHRIMP U-Pb zircon geochronology of the Gurygong Group in Odesan area, east Gyeonggi massif, Korea: a new identification of Late Paleozoic strata and its tectonic implication. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.23, p.197-208. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2014.23.3.197
- Cho, D.-L., Suzuki, K., Chwae, U. and Adachi, M. (2007) CHIME ages of Precambrian rocks from the Goseong-Ganseong area, northeastern part of the Gyeonggi massif, and their tectonic implications. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.16, p.1-11.
- Cho, M., Cheong, W., Ernst, W.G., Yi, K. and Kim, J. (2013) SHRIMP U-Pb ages of detrital zircons in metasedimentary rocks of the central Ogcheon foldthrust belt, Korea: evidence for tectonic assembly of Paleozoic sedimentary protoliths. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, v.63, p.234-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2012.08.020
- Choi, P.-y., Rhee, C.W., Lim, S.-B. and So, Y. (2008) Subdivision of the Upper Paleozoic Taean Formation in the Anmyeondo-Boryeong area, west Korea: a preliminary approach to the sedimentary organization and structural features. Geosciences Journal, v.12, p.373-384. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-008-0037-2
- Choi, S.-J., Kim, D.-Y., Cho, D.-L. and Kim, Y.B. (2015) Detrital zircon U-Pb ages of the metapelite on the southwestern part of the Ogcheon Belt and its stratigraphic implication. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.24, p.55-63. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2015.24.1.55
- Cluzel, D., Lee, B.-J. and Cadet, J.-P. (1991) Indosinian dextral ductile fault system and synkinematic plutonism in the southwest of the Ogcheon belt (South Korea). Tectonophysics, v.194, p.131-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(91)90277-Y
- Ha, Y., Song, Y.-S. and Kim, J.-M. (2014) Gwangju Shear Zone: Is it the tectonic boundary between the Yeongnam massif and Okcheon metamorhic blet? Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.23, p.17-30. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2014.23.1.017
- Hu, B., Zhai, M., Li, T., Li, Z., Peng, P., Guo, J. and Kusky, T.M. (2012) Mesoproterozoic magmatic events in the eastern North China Craton and their tectonic implications: Geochronological evidence from detrital zircons in the Shandong Peninsula and North Korea. Gondwana Research, v.22, p.828-842. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2012.03.005
- IGSASDPRK (Institute of Geology State Academy of Sciences, DPR of Korea) (1996) Geology of Korea. Foreign Languages Books Publishing House, Pyongyang (1996) 631p.
- Kee, W.-S., (editor) 2008. Tectonic correlation of major crustal units and construction of geoscience system of Northeast Asia. Basic Res. Rep. Korea Inst. Geosci. Miner. Resour. Report GP2007- 004-03-02, 316p. (In Korean with English summary).
- Kim, D.-Y., Choi, S.-J. and Yi, K. (2015) SHRIMP U-Pb zircon ages of the metapsammite in the Yeongam- Gangjin area. Econ. Environ. Geol., v.48, p.287-299. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.4.287
- Kim, H., Kihm, Y.H. and Kee, W.-S. (2012) Geological report of the Iri Sheet (Scale 1:50,000). Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, 51p.
- Kim, H.S., Hwang, M.-K., Ree, J.-H. and Yi, K. (2013) Tectonic linkage between the Korean Peninsula and mainland Asia in the Cambrian: insights from U-Pb dating of detrital zircon. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v.368, p.204-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2013.03.003
- Kim, S.-W. and Kee, W.-S. (2015) Tectonic correlation of the Neoproterozoic and Paleozoic rocks between the western Gyeonggi block in Korea and major blocks in Chian: geochronological implication. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.51, p.511-524. https://doi.org/10.14770/jgsk.2015.51.5.511
- Kim, S.W., Oh, C.W., Ryu, I.-C., Williams, I.S., Sajeev, K., Santosh and Rajesh, V.J. (2006) Neoproterozoic Bimodal Volcanism in the Okcheon Belt, South Korea, and Its Comparison with the Nanhua Rift, South China: Implications for Rifting in Rodinia. The Journal of Geology, v.114, p.717-733. https://doi.org/10.1086/507616
- Lee, H.Y. (1995) Petrochemical study on the mantle xenoliths in alkali basalts from S. Korea: P-T regime of upper mantle. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.4, p.104-123.
- Lee, J.-H. and Kim, Y.-D. (2003) Geology and ore deposit of the Apdong Nb-Ta mine, North Korea. Econ. Environ. Geol., v.36, p.407-413.
- Lee, K.-S., Chang, H.-W. and Park, K.-H. (1998) Neoproterozoic bimodal volcanism in the central Ogcheon belt, Korea: age and tectonic implication. Prec. Res. v.89, p.47-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-9268(97)00077-6
- Lee, S.R. and Cho, K. (2012) Precambrian crustal evolution of the Korean Peninsula. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.21, p.89-112. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2012.21.2.089
- Lee, S.R., Cho, M., Cheong, C.-S., Kim, H. and Wingate, M.T.D. (2003) Age, geochemistry, and tectonic significance of Neoproterozoic alkaline granitoids in the northwestern margin of the Gyeonggi massif, South Korea. Precambrian Research, v.122, p.297-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-9268(02)00216-4
- Lee, Y.I., Choi, T. and Orihashi, Y. (2011) LA-ICP-MS zircon U-Pb ages of the Precambrian Yuli Group. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.47, p.81-87.
- Lee, Y.I., Lim, H.S., Choi, T. and Orihashi, Y. (2010) Detrital zircon U-Pb ages of the late Paleozoic Sadong Formation in the Pyeongchang coalfield, Gangweondo Provinse, Korea: implications for depositional age and provenance. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.46, p.73-81.
- Lee, Y.I., Choi, T., Lim, H.S. and Orihashi, Y. (2012) Detrital zircon U-Pb ages of the Jangsan Formation in the northeastern Okcheon belt, Korea and its implications for material source, provenance, and tectonic setting. Sedimentary Geology, v.282, p.256-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2012.09.005
- Lee, Y.I., Choi, T., Lim, H.S. and Orihashi, Y. (2016) Detrital zircon geochronology and Nd isotope geochemistry of the basal succession of the Taebaeksan Basin, South Korea: implications for the Gondwana linkage of the Sino-Korean (North China) block during the Neoproterozoic-early Cambrian. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v.441, p.770-786. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2015.10.025
- Li, Z.X., Bogdanova, S.V., Collins, A.S., Davidson, A., De Waele, B., Ernst, R.E., Fitzsimons, I.C.W., Fuck, R.A., Gladkochub, D.P., Jacobs, J., Karlstrom, K.E., Lu, S., Natapov, L.M., Pease, V., Pisarevsky, S.A., Thrane, K. and Vernikovsky, V. (2008) Assembly, configuration, and break-up history of Rodinia: a systhesis. Precambrian Research, v.160, p.179-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2007.04.021
- Lim, S.-B., Choi, H.I., Kim, B.C. and Kim, J.C. (1999) Depositional systems of the sedimentary basins (I): depositional systems and their evolution of the Proterozoic Paegryeong Group and Taean Formation. KIGAM Report, MOST, 116p.
- Liu, X. (1993) High-P metamorphic belt in central China and its possible eastward extension to Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.2, p.9-18.
- Ludwig, K.R. (2008) User's manual for Isoplot 3.6: a geochronological toolkit for Microsoft Excel. Berkeley Geochronology Center Special Publication, v.4, p.77.
- McKenzie, N.R., Hughes, N.C., Myrow, P.M., Choi, D.K. and Park, T.-Y. (2011) Trilobites and zircons link north China with the eastern Himalaya during the Cambrian. Geology, v.39, p.591-594. https://doi.org/10.1130/G31838.1
- Oh, C.W., Krishnan, S., Kim, S.W. and Kwon, Y.W. (2006) Mangerite magmatism associated with a probable Late-Permian to Triassic Hongseong-Odesan collision belt in South Korea. Gondwana Research, v.9, p.95-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2005.06.005
- Park, K.-H. (2010) Evolution of the subcontinental lithospheric mantle of Korean Peninsula: partial loss and its timing. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.19, p.199-208.
- Paton, C., Woodhead, J.D., Hellstrom, J.C., Hergt, J.M., Greig, A., and Maas, R. (2010) Improved laser ablation U-Pb zircon geochronology through robust downhole fractionation correction. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, v.11, Q0AA06.
- Paton, C., Hellstrom, J., Paul, B., Woodhead, J., and Hergt, J. (2011) Iolite: freeware for the visualization and processing of mass spectrometric data. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, v.26, p.2508-2518. https://doi.org/10.1039/c1ja10172b
- Peng, P., Zhai, M., Guo, J., Zhang, H. and Zhang, Y. (2011) Petrogenesis of Triassic post-collisional syenite plutons in the Sino-Korean craton: an example from North Korea. Geological Magazine, v.145, p.637-647.
- Peng, P., Zhai, M., Li, Q., Wu, F., Hou, Q., Li, Z., Li, T. and Zhang, Y. (2011) Neoproterozoic (-900 Ma) Sariwon sills in North Korea: geochronology, geochemistry and implications for the evolution of the south-eastern margin of the North China Craton. Gondwana Research, v.20, p.243-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2010.12.011
- Ree, J.-H., Cho, M., Kwon, S.-Ta. and Nakamura, E. (1996) Possible eastward extension of Chinese collision belt in South Korea: the Imjingang belt. Geology, v.24, p.1071-1074. https://doi.org/10.1130/0091-7613(1996)024<1071:PEEOCC>2.3.CO;2
- Rogers, J.J.W. and Santosh, M. (2002) Configuration of Columbia, a Mesoproterozoic supercontinent. Gondwana Research, v.5, p.5-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1342-937X(05)70883-2
- Song, Y.-S., Park, K.-H., Lee, H.-S., Cao, L. and Orihashi, Y. (2009) LA-ICP-MS U-Pb zircon age of the granite gneiss from Jeungsan-Pyeongwon area of North Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.18, p.171-179.
- Wiedenbeck, M., Allé, P., Corfu, F., Griffin, W.L., Meier, M., Oberli, F., von Quadt, A., Roddick, J.C., and Spiegel, W. (1995) Three natural zircon standards for UTh- Pb, Lu-Hf, trace element and REE analyses. Geostandards Newsletter, v.19, p.1-23
- Yin, A. and Nie, S. (1993) An indentation model for the North and South China collision and the development of the Tan-Lu and Honam fault system, eastern Asia. Tectonics, v.12, p.801-813. https://doi.org/10.1029/93TC00313
- Zhao, G., Cao, L., Wilde, S.A., Sun, M., Choe, W.J. and Li, S. (2006) Implications based on the first SHRIMP UPb zircon dating on Precambrian granitoid rocks in North Korea. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v.251, p.365-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2006.09.021
- Zhao, G., Sun, M., Wilde, S.A. and Li, S. (2003) Assembly, accretion and breakup of Paleo-Mesoproterozoic Columbia Supercontinent: records in the North China Craton. Gondwana Research, v.6, p.417-434. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1342-937X(05)70996-5
- Geology of the 2018 Winter Olympic site, Pyeongchang, Korea vol.60, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00206814.2017.1340196
- Tectonic evolution of Precambrian basement massifs and an adjoining fold-and-thrust belt (Gyeonggi Marginal Belt), Korea: An overview vol.21, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-017-0044-2