- Volume 29 Issue 6
This study was conducted to investigate the risk of chronic disease as predicted by abdominal obesity in Korean adult females. Data on 2,738 adult females aged 40~64 yrs was obtained from the 2013~2014 Korean National Health Nutrition Examination Survey. The subjects were divided into normal (n=1,835), abdominal obesity (AO, n=73), and BMI-diagnosed abdominal obesity (BMI-AO, n=505) groups based on the NCEP-ATP III guidelines and by applying the KSSO definition regarding waist circumference. Triglyceride blood levels, fasting blood sugar levels, systolic blood pressure, and diastolic blood pressure were higher in the AO and BMI-AO groups than in the normal group. The HDL-cholesterol levels of subjects in the two abdominal groups were lower as compared to those of subjects in the normal group. The mean adequacy ratio was lower among subjects in the AO and BMI-AO groups than among those in the normal group. Moreover, the NAR and INQ scores of some micro-nutrients in both of the abdominal obesity groups were lower than those in the normal group. Both the AO and BMI-AO groups showed significantly higher risks of hypertriglycemia, hyperglycemia, hypertension, hypoHDL-cholesterolemia, and metabolic syndrome than were shown by the normal group. Notably, as compared to the normal group, the AO group showed higher risk of hypercholesterolemia, hyperLDL-cholesterolemia, hypertriglycemia, and metabolic syndrome than did the BMI-AO group. This finding suggests that it is essential to develop prevention programs including programs for those with abdominal obesity despite their having a BMI within the normal range.
abdominal obesity;BMI;chronic disease;KNHANES;nutrient intake
- American Medical Association. 2001. Expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults. Execute summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP). JAMA 285:2486-2496 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.19.2486
- Archer WR, Lamarche B, Deriaz O, Landry N, Comeau L, Despres JP, Bergeron J, Couture P, Bergeron N. 2003. Variations in body composition and plasma lipids in response to a high-carbohydrate diet. Obes Res 11:978-986 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2003.135
- Bae YJ. 2012. Evaluation of nutrient and food intake status, and dietary quality in Korean female adults according to obesity : based on 2007-2009 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korean J Nutr 45:140-149 https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.2.140
- Chung HR. 2006. Prevalence of abdominal obesity and associated factors among Korean adults: The 2001 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korean J Nutr 39:684-691
- Friedwald WT, Levy RK, Fredireck DS. 1972. Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without use of the preparative ul tracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18:49-502
- Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Daniels SR, Donato KA, Eckel RH, Franklin BA, Gord-on DJ,Krauss RM, Savage PJ, Smith SC Jr, Spertus JA, Fernando C. 2005. Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: and American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement: Executive summary. Circulation 112:2735-2752 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.169404
- Huxley R, Barzi F, Solk R, Caterson I, Gill T, Lam TH. 2005. Ethnic comparisons of obesity in the Asia-Pacific region: Protocol for a collaborative overview of cross-sectional studies. Obes Rev 6:193-198 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2005.00189.x
- International Diabetes Federation. 2006. The IDF consensus worldwide definition of the metabolic syndrome. Available from: http://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/IDF_Meta_def_final.pdf [cited 2006 December]
- Jancin B. 2005. Waist size overtakes BMI as obesity indicator: for CV risk, where a person's excess body fat is located is more important than weight itself. Ob Gyn News 15:36
- Janssen I, Katzmarzyk PT, Ross R 2004. Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity-related health risk. Am J Clin Nutr 79:379-384 https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/79.3.379
- Kang DJ. 2004. Relationship between alcohol drinking pattern and waist circumfe rence. master's Thesis. Yonsei University. Seoul.
- Kang JH, Jeong BG, Cho YG, Song HR, Kim KA. 2010. Medical expenditure attributable to overweight and obesity in adults with hypertension, diabetes and dyslipidemia: Evidence from Korea National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey data and Korea National Health Corporation Data. J Agri Med & Community Health 35:77-88 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2010.35.1.077
- Keffe EB, Adesman PW, Stenzel P, Palmer RM. 1987. Steatosis and cirrhosis in an obese diabetic. Resolution of fatty liver by fatting. Dig Dis Sci 32:441-445 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01296300
- Kim MS, Kweon DC, Bae YJ. 2014. Evaluation of nutrient and food intake status, and dietary quality according to abdominal obesity based on waist circumference in Korean adults: Based on 2010-2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Nutr Health 47:403-415 https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2014.47.6.403
- Kim WY, Kang MH, Yang EJ, Lee HS. 2013. Nutrition Assessment. pp.96. Kyomunsa.
- Kirkendall WM, Burton AC, Epstein FH, Freis ED. 1967. Recommendations for human blood pressure determination by sphygmomanometers. Subcommittee of the AHA Postgraduate Education Committee. Circulation 36:980-988 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.36.6.980
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2014. Korean Health Statistics 2014: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-2). pp.50
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2016. The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1, 2). Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Lee SY, Park HS, Kim SM, Kwon HS, Kim DY, Kim DJ, Cho GJ, Han JH, Kim SR, Park CY, Oh SJ, Lee CB, Kim KS, Oh SW, Kim YS, Choi WH, Yoo HJ. 2006. Cut-off point of waist circumference for defining abdominal obesity in the Korean population. J Korean Soc Study Obes 15:1-9
- Lee YE, Park JE, Heang JY, Kim WY. 2009. Comparison of health risks according to the obesity types based upn BMI and waist circumference in Korean adults: The 1998-2005 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Korean J Nutr 42:631-638 https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.7.631
- Lim U, Ernst T, Buchthal SD, Latch M, Albright CL, Wilkens LR, Kolonel LN, Murphy SP, Chang L, Novotny R, Le Marchand L. 2011. Asian women have greater abdominal and visceral adiposity than Caucasian women with similar body mass index. Nutr Diabetes 1:e6 https://doi.org/10.1038/nutd.2011.2
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2015. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans 2015. Sejong
- Miyashita Y, Koide N, Ohtsuka M, Ozaki H, Itoh Y, Oyama T, Uetake T. 2004. Beneficial effect of low carbohydrate in low calorie diets on visceral fat reduction in type 2 diabetic patients with obesity. Diabeted Res Clin Pract 65:235-241 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2004.01.008
- Phillips CM, Goumidi L, Bertrais S, Field MR, Peloso GM, Shen J, McManus R, Hercberg S, Lairon D, Planells R, Roche HM. 2009. Dietary saturated fat modulates the association between STAT3 polymorphisms and abdominal obesity in adults. J Nutr 139:2011-2017 https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.109.110635
- Rexrode K, Carey V, Henneken C, Walters E, Colditz G, Stampfer M, Willett W, Manson J. 1998. Abdominal adiposity and coronary heart disease in women. JAMA 280:1843-1848 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.280.21.1843
- WHO Western Pacific Region. 2000. The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment. IOFT.
- Yoon SH. 2014. Trends in energy intake and food sources of energy intake among Korean adults. PHWR 7:830-837
- Yoon YS, Oh SW, Park HS. 2006. Socioeconomic status in relation to obesity and abdominal obesity in Korean adults: a focus on sex differences. Obesity 14:909-919 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2006.105
- Zhou B, Wu Y, Yang J, Li Y, Zhang H, Zhao L. 2002. Overweight is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease in Chinese population. Obes Rev 3:147-156 https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-789X.2002.00068.x
- Paek KW, Hong YM. 2006. Health behavior factors affecting waist circumference as an indicator of abdominal obesity. J Prev Med Public Health 39:59-66