- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study on the Hospital Nurse's Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Nursing Activity
병원간호사의 환자안전문화인식과 환자안전간호활동의 융합연구
- Received : 2015.12.15
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.29
In this study, the convergent relation between perception of patient safety culture and safety nursing activity was investigated to prevent safety accidents and prepare data of nursing intervention for patient safety. Nurses in B City who signed on the written consent participated in this study between February 16 and 28, 2015. A total of 266 copies were collected and were analyzed using the SPSS 20.0 program. The mean score of patient safety culture was 3.60 on a scale of 0 to 5, and safety nursing activity, 4.28. The subcategory of perception of patient safety culture, which included the accident report frequency and patient safety level positively (+) influenced safety nursing activity. Therefore, effective communications and report systems in hospitals may be necessary to enhance patient safety culture. Education programs of patient safety should be developed and provided to nurses in hospitals to enhance the levels of patient safety management and their services.
Convergence Study;hospital nurses;patient safety;Perception of Patient Safety Culture;safety Nursing Activity
- AHRQ. Hospital survey on patient safety culture. Retrieved at June, 2012, from, http://www.ahrq.gov/
- Lin, L, "Comparison of risk management in Taiwan and the USA", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 222-226, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2934.2006.00559.x
- Joon-Jeong, Young-Joon Seo, Eun Woo Nam, "Factors Affecting Patient Safety Management Activities at Nursing Divisions of Two University Hospitals", Korean journal of hospital management, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 91-109, 2006.
- Jin-Sub Roh, Weekly News Magazine, 2011. http://www.sisapress.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=54194
- Jeong-Eun Kim, Kyung-Eh An, Sook-Hee Yun, "Nurses' perception of the hospital environment and communication process related to patient safety in Korea", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 321-334, 2007.
- Jeong-Eun Kim, Min-Ah Kang, Kyung-Eh An, Young-Hee Sung, "A Survey of Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Related to Hospital Culture and Reports of Medical Errors", Journal of Korean Society of Medical Informatics, 2004. http://s-space.snu.ac.kr/mobile/mobile-metadataView?itemId=84465
- Suk-Kyoung Kim, Hye-Jung Lee, Eui-Geum Oh, "Perceived Level and Associated Factors of Patient Safety Culture among Health Care Providers in an Operating Room", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 57-67, 2010.
- Min-Ah Kang, Jeong-Eun Kim, Kyung-Eh An, Yoon Kim, Suk-Wha Kim, "Physicians' perception of and attitudes towards patient safely culture and medical error reporting", Health Policy and Mangemnet, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 110-135, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2005.15.4.110
- Il-Hun Kim, Doctor's News, 2005. http://www.doctorsnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=20273
- Yu-Jung Lee, "Patient Safety Culture and Management Activities Perceived by Hospital Nurses", Master's thesis, Eulji University, 2011.
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation. News letter, March 15, 2011. http://www.koiha.or.kr/home/data/public/doList.act
- Hyun-Hee Gong, Youn-Jung Son, "Impact of Nurses' Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment on Patient Safety Management Activities in Tertiary Hospitals", Journal Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 453-462, 2012.
- JCAHO. "National patient safety goals," 2016. http://www.jointcommission.org/standards_information /npsgs.aspx
- Hendrich AL, Bender PS, Nyhuis A., "Validation of the Hendrich II fall risk model: A large concurrent case/control study of hospitalized patients", Applied Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 9-21, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1053/apnr.2003.016009
- American Nurses Association, "NDNQI indicators and reported rates" 2011. http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/hospital/fallpxtoolkit/fallpxtk5.html
- Korea Consumer Agency, "The 'fall accident' takes up most among the medical accidents by improper safety management in the hospital", 2006. http://www.kca.go.kr/brd/m_32/view.do?seq=749& multi_itm_seq=2.
- Fischer ID, Krauss MJ, Dunagan WC, Birge S, Hitcho E, Johnson S, "Patterns and predictors of inpatient falls and fall-relate injuries in a large academic hospital", Infection Control and Hosp Epidermiology, Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 822-827, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1086/502500
- So-Young Kim, Bu-Kyung Kim, "falls in elderly people in Korea", Seoul National University College of Medicine Depart of Health Policy & Management, 2005.
- So-Jeong Park, "A Study on Hospital Nurse's Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity", Master's thesis, Dong-A University, 2009.
- Jung-JA Kim, "Fundamentals of nursing", Seoul: Jung Dam Media, 2006.
- Glancy, G. D., Chaimowitz, G., "The clinical use of risk assessment", Canadian journal of psychiatry Revue canadienne de psychiatrie, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 12-17, 2005.
- Jeong-Eun Kim, Min-Ah Kang, Kyung-Eh An, Young-Hee Sung, "A Survey of Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Related to Hospital Culture and Reports of Medical Errors", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 169-179, 2007.
- Milligan, F., Dennis, S., "Improving patient safety and incident reporting," Nursing Standard", Vol. 19, No. 7, pp. 33-36, 2004. http://www.snu-dhpm.ac.kr/pds/article.html?code= graduate10&number=923&keyfield=&key=
- Dae-Im Lee, "Level of patient safety care activity and it's related factors of hospital nurses", Master's thesis, Pusan National University, 2012.
- Hye-Yong Yang, "A Study on the Effect of Perception of Hospital Nurses Toward the Patient Safety Culture on the Safety Nursing Activity-Focusing on Suncheon Region-", Master's thesis, Sunchon National University, 2009.
- Yoon-Joo Cho, "A Study on Perception and Performance for Patient Safety Management in Intensive Care Unit Nurses", Master's thesis, Ajou University, 2012.
- Hee-Eun Jang, "Impact of Nurses' Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Control on Patient Safety Management Activities in University Hospital", Master's thesis, Chosun University, 2013.
- Woo-Young Je, "Hospital worker's perception of patient safety culture in a university hospital', Master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, 2006.
- Hye-Won Cho, Jin-Hyang Yang, "Relationship between Perceived Patient Safety Culture and Patient Safety Management Activities among Health Personnel", The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 35-45, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.035
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation. http://www.koiha.kr/member/kr/board/establish/establish_BoardView.do
- Seong-Suk Cho, Moon-Hee Gang, "Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity of Entry-level Nurses", Korean J Occup Health Nurs, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 24-34, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.1.24
- Nam-Ju Han, "The Awareness on Patient Safety Culture and the Degree of Safe Nursing Activity of Hospital Nurses", Master's thesis, Kyung book National University, 2011.
- The Korean Society of Blood Transfusion. http://www.transfusion.or.kr/
- Keum-Soon Kim, Jin-A Kim, So-Hi Kwon, Mal-Soon Song, "Development of the Nursing Process Based Performance Measurement Tool for Medicatin Management and Blood Transfusion", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 177-196, 2010.
- JCAHO, Jcr, "Front line of defense:The role of nurses in preventing sentinel events(2nd ed.), Joint Commission Resources, 2007.
- Soon-Young Lee, "A study on medication error among nurses and prevention strategy", Master's thesis, Eulji University, 2008.
- Byeung-Jin Na, "Nurses' Perception of Safety Climate and Barriers to Medication Administration Error Reporting in a University Hospital", Master's thesis, Chonnam National University, 2010.
- Battles, J. B., Keyes, M. A., "Technology and Patient Safety: A Two-Edged Sword", BIOMEDICAL INSTRUMENTATION AND TECHNOLOGY, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 84-88, 2002.
- Elder, N., Brungs, S., Nagy, M., Kudel, I., Render, M., "Nurses' Perceptions of Error Communication and Reporting in the Intensive Care Unit", Journal of Patient Safety, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 162-168, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0b013e3181839b48
- A Convergence Study on the Relationship among Job Rotation, Verbal Abuse and Organizational Commitment of Perioperative Nurses vol.7, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.131
- The Convergent Development of Nursing Activity Index for postoperative patient using Patient Controlled Analgesia vol.7, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.043
- Effects of Psychiatric Nurses' Perception of the Healthcare Accreditation System and Safety Climate on Patient Safety Management Activities vol.25, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.375
- Factors Influencing Patient Safety Nursing Activities of Nurses in Long-term Care Hospitals vol.24, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.4.307
- Patient Safety Care Activity in Small-Medium Sized Hospital Nurses Patient Safety Care Activity among Nurses in Small-Medium Sized General Hospitals vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2018.51