- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The effects of emotional labor and job burnout of the ski resort workers on service level
스키리조트 종사자의 감정노동과 직무소진이 서비스 제공수준에 미치는 영향
- Ryu, Won-Yong (Kyung-In Women's University)
- 유원용 (경인여자대학교)
- Received : 2015.12.30
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.28
The purpose of this study was empirically to reveal the effects of emotional labor and job burnout of the ski resort workers on service level. For the study, a survey of 215 people working in domestic ski resorts was conducted. Emotional labor was composed of two sub-factors: surface acting and deep acting. Service level was composed of three sub-factors: tangibles, responsiveness, endeavor. The following results were obtained by confirmatory factor analysis, reliability analysis, correlation analysis, regression analysis. First, in emotional labor which ski resort worker perceived, surface acting had a positive effect on job burnout, while deep acting had a negative effect on it. Second, surface acting had a positive effect on tangibles and responsiveness of service level and deep acting had a positive effect on tangibles, responsiveness and endeavor of service level. Third, job burnout which ski resort worker perceived had a negative effect on tangibles, responsiveness and endeavor of service level. This study suggested that implications and limitations of the relationship between outcomes and emotional labor which people working at sport organizations such as a ski resort have experienced.
- Y. M. Kim, "The Structural Relationship among Customer Value, Relationship Quality and Customer Loyalty of Ski Resort. Korean Journal of Sport Science", Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 337-348, 2009. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2009.20.2.337
- Y. G. Kim, H. M. Jun, J. & W. Ha, "The Relationship between the Level of Employees' Job Satisfaction and the Level of Customers' Satisfaction in Services of Sports Centers. Korean Journal of Sport Management", Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 99-123, 2001.
- Y. S. Kim, "Relationship of sports center employees's emotional work with the job stress, the job satisfaction and the job exhaustion. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies", Vol. 47, pp. 127-144, 2012.
- S. H. Kim, "The Relationship of Internal Marketing with Job Satisfaction and Service Quality: The Evidence from Lodging Industry. Korean Journal of Hotel Administration", Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 62-82, 2012.
- Y. H. Lee, S. H. Jun, & H. J. Jeon, "The effect of emotional labor on emotional exhaustion and turnover intention among early childhood sports instructors. Journal of The Korean Society of Sports Science", Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 625-643, 2014.
- M. Greenbaum, "Emotional intelligence takes customer loyalty to a higher level. Boardwatch Magazine", Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 120-121, 2000.
- J. S. An, "(The) Service Interaction Style and Emotional Labor Dimensions. Ph. D. dissertation", pp. 13-34, Graduate School of Education in Kyonggi University, 2003.
- J. H. Seo, "The Influence of Emotional Labor of Elementary School Sports Instructors on Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention. Journal of The Korean Society of Elementary Physical Education", Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 245-256, 2012.
- A. R. Hochschild, "The Managed Heart. Berkeley: University of California Press", 1983.
- C. Brotheridge, & A. A. Grandey, "Emotional labor and burnout: comparing two perspectives of people work. Journal of Vocational Behavior", Vol. 60, pp. 17-39, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- A. A. Grandey, When "The show must go on': Surface deep anting as predictors of emotional exhaustion and service delivery, Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 46, pp. 86-96, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30040678
- D. Zapf, "Emotion work and Psychological well-being: A review of thy literature and some conceptual considerations. Human Resource Management Review", Vol. 12, pp. 237-268, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(02)00048-7
- T. H. Kim, J. Y. Yang, & K. R. Chang, "Commitment to emotional display rules as a moderator of emotional labor on emotional dissonance and accomplishment. Korean journal of sport science", Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 390-403, 2012. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2012.23.2.390
- J. H. Lee, J. L. Lee, S. K. Lee, W. S. Jang, "Correlations among the emotional labor, job burnout and customer orientation of taekwondo instructors. Korean journal of sport science", Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 757-767, 2013. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2013.24.4.757
- C. L. Cordes, & T. W. Doughertys, "A review and an integration of research on job burnout. Academy of Management Review", Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 621-656, 1993. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1993.9402210153
- M. S. Park, & T. Y. Lee, "Study on the Relationship between Emotional Labour, Job Burnout, and Turnover Intention which are recognized by the leaders of the public sports facilities. Journal of The Korean Society of Sports Science", Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 707-718, 2013.
- J. H. Jee, "Relationship between Emotional Labor and Service Delivery Level of Employee in Travel Agency. Journal of The Korean Contents Society", Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 284-292, 2009.
- T. Y. Nam, & H. H. Kim, "Effects Hotel Employee Burnout on Service Level. Journal of The Korean Contents Society", Vol. 9, No. 10, pp. 358-377, 2009.
- J. S. Song, & E. I. Son, "A Study on the Effects of Customer Orientation on Emotional Dissonance and Service Delivery Level, Journal of Korea Safety Management & Science", Vol. 11, No. 4 pp. 127-137, 2009.
- J. H. Lee, "The Effects of Retail Industry Employee's Emotional Labor and Service Education on Customer Service Level. The Journal of Professional Management", Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 99-123, 2014.
- N. S. Kim, "(The) relationship between job satisfaction of flight attendants and quality of service. academic thesis", pp. 53-56, Keimyung University Graduate School, 2002.
- J. H. Lee, N. H. Kim, & Y. H. Park, "Transactions: The Effects of Competency and Service Orientation on Imported Fashion Luxury Brands Salespersons on the Organizational Commitment and Service Delivery Level. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles", Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 58-70, 2010.
- G. J. Ji, "The Effects of Retail Business Employee's Emotional Labor on the Job Performance and Customer Service Level. academic thesis", pp. 51-53, graduate school Sangji University, 2011.
- N. R. Won, J. Y. H, D. G. kim, & H. I. Kwon, "The Comparison of Emotional Labor and Emotional Exhaustion between Middle School Physical Education Teachers and School Sports Club Instructors. Journal of the Korean Association of Sport Pedagogy", Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 127-145, 2015.
- B. R. Bae, "Structural equation modeling with Amos 17.0. Seoul: Cungram", 2007.
- G. S. Kim, "Structure equation model. Seoul: Hannarae", 2005.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, & R. L. "Tatham, Multivariate data analysis. Pearson Prentice Hall, NJ: Upper Saddle River", 2006.
- J. Y. Kim, I. H. Kang, & W. S. Cho, "Effects of Tour Conductors Emotional Labor on Emotional Dissonance and Burnout. Korea Tourism Review", Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 305-324, 2013.
- H. S. Sin, "Effect of Emotional Labor on Burnout and Job Satisfaction. The Korea Contents Society", Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 415-424, 2012.
- M. J. Bok, "The Effects of Emotional Labor on Job Burnout, Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Work-Family Conflict Among Call Center Employees. Korean Living Science Association", Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 257-267, 2012.
- Y. O. Park, & S. S. Ahn, "A Study on the Effect of Emotional Labor on Social Support, Service Providing Level, Organizational Commitment, and Job Satisfaction: Focusing on the Flight Attendants. International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research", Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 167-186, 2015.
- J. W. Yoo, W. J. Kwak, & H. C. Shin, "The Antecedents and Consequences of Service Employee's Emotional Labor. Journal of Korea Human Resource management", Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 49-64, 2014.
- M. S. Suh, & S. H. Kim, "The Effects on the Customer Orientation and the Service Quality Influenced by Salesperson's Emotional Dissonance and Emotional Exhaustion. Korea Marketing Review", Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 45-75, 2002.
- H. J. Soung, "(A) study of the emotional labors and the burn outs of the staff members of family restaurants. academic thesis", pp. 71-75, Sejoung University Graduate Tourism, 2003.
- Jung-Im Kim, Bo-Ram Choi, "Convergence Study on Emotional Labor, Stress Response and Turnover Intention of Call-center Worker", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 139-146, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.139
- Mi-sook Choi, Dong-ha Ji, "The comparative study on changes in job satisfaction and turnover intention according to the convergence mediating factors and the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 27-34, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.027