- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Elderly Suicide Rates in Korea and the United States and Its Implications
한·미 노인자살률의 비교 연구와 정책적 시사점
- Kim, Hyoung-Soo (Hoseo University)
- 김형수 (호서대학교)
- Received : 2015.12.16
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.28
Any comparative study has not been done between Korea and a certain country about the social economic factors of elderly suicide rates, even though there has been comparative studies among several nations. Therefore, this study is going to reveal how the macro-social economic factors are related to elderly suicide rates based on Korea and the United States, which show great gap of elderly suicide rate and have completely different aspect of increasing and decreasing rate of elderly suicide, as members of OECD. For this, trend analysis has been done between elderly suicide rates of both Korea and the United States for the past twenty years(1990-2009) and social economic factors, and correlation analysis also has been done at the same time. After all, this study is going to suggest policy implications for the prevention of elderly suicide in our society based on the results of the analysis.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Seong-Yong Kim, Trends in Elderly Suicide Rates and Social Factors in Korea. Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 19, pp. 181-205, 2004.
- Hyoung-Soo Kim, A Study on Current Situation of the American Elderly's suicide and Prevention Programs and Its Suggestions. Social Security Studies, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.163-182, 2002.
- Hyoung-Soo Kim, Pyung_Hwa Heo. The Current Trend of Research on Korean Elderly Suicide and Future Research. Journal of Social Science, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp.195-212, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15820/khjss.2010.36.3.009
- Jung-Kyun Ryu, Regional Differentials in Elderly Suicide Rates: the focusing on effects of family instability, 1995-2005. Vol. 31, No. 2, pp21-44, 2008.
- So-Chung Lee, Socio-economic Factors of Elderly Suicide. Social Security Studies, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp.1-21, 2010.
- A. Shah, "A Cross-national study of the relationship between elderly suicide rates and urbanization", Suicide and Life-threatening Behavior , 38(6), pp. 714-719, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1521/suli.2008.38.6.714
- A. Shah, "The relationship between elderly suicide rates, household siza and family structure: A cross-national study. In't Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, 13, pp.259-264, 2009a. https://doi.org/10.3109/13651500902887656
- A. Shah, "Are age-related trends in suicide rates associated with life expectancy and socio-economic factors?", In't Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, 13(1), pp.16-20, 2009b. https://doi.org/10.1080/13651500802271241
- A. Shah, "The relationship between elderly suicide rates and the internet: A cross-national study.", International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 56(3), pp.214-219, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764009105645
- A. Shah, "Are Elderly Dependency Ratios Associated with General Population Suicide rates.", International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 57(3), pp.277-283, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764009356839
- B. Petrovich, "Influenc of Socio-economic crisis on epidemiological characteristic of suicide in the region of Nis.", European Journal of Epidemiology 17, pp.183-187, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017909904769
- E. Durkheim, Suicide: A Study in Sociology , New York: Free Press, 1951.