- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of ACT on Smartphone Addiction Level, Self-Control, and Anxiety of College Students with Smartphone Addiction
수용전념치료(ACT)가 스마트폰 중독을 보이는 대학생의 스마트폰 중독 수준, 자기 조절 및 불안에 미치는 효과
- Yu, Hwa-Gyoung (Dept. of Psychology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Son, ChongNak (Dept. of Psychology, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2015.12.15
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.28
The purpose of this study is to explore the effects of ACT on smartphone addiction level, self-control, and anxiety of college students with smartphone addiction. 320 college students who lived in Chonbuk completed SAPS-A. 42 students who gained more than 40 points score by SAPS-A completed SCRS, STAI, and AAQ-16 as pre-treatment. Final 18 participants were randomly assigned to 9 in the ACT group and 9 in control group. ACT program was administered for 8 sessions, follow-up study was conducted at the end of treatment and at 4 weeks follow-up periods. The results of this study were as follows: Smartphone addiction and anxiety levels of ACT group were significantly reduced and maintained until the follow-up. Self-control and Acceptance-action levels were significantly increased and maintained until the follow-up. It has been confirmed that ACT had an effect on smartphone addiction treatment, anxiety decrease and self-control ability improving, therefore, based on this result, further research will be needed to apply the ACT on smartphone addiction treatment in families, school, local community, etc.
Smartphone Addiction;ACT(Acceptance and Commitment Therapy);Self-Control;Anxiety;College students
- KISA, Survey on the internet usage. Korea Internet & Security Agency, 2012.
- E. M. Im, S. M. Park, S. S. Jang, A study of developing an internet-addiction counseling program for adults. National Information society Agency, 2006.
- K. S. Young, R. Rogers, The relationship between depression and internet addiction. CyberPsychology and Behavior, Vol. 1, pp. 25-28, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.25
- Y. M. Park, A study on adults' smart phone addiction and mental health. Department of Psychology Graduate School Sangi University, 2011.
- Economic Review, By connecting the twitter. pp. 11, January 24, 2011.
- H. Y. Kang, C. H. Park, Development and validation of the smartphone addiction inventory. The Korean J. of Psychol: General, Vol. 31, pp. 563-580, 2012.
- S. B. Lee, K. K. Lee, K. C. Paik, H. W. Kim, S. K. Shin, Relationship between internet addiction and anxiety, depression, and self efficacy in middle and high school students. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 40, pp. 616-626, 2001.
- M. K. Cho, The relationships amongs smart phone use motivations, addiction, and self-control in nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 12. pp. 311-323, 2014.
- Y. S. Yoon, A Study on self-regulatory ability of adolescents and its relationship with personality, parenting, behavior problems, and life stress. Department of Psychology Graduate School Sookmyung Women's University, 2007.
- Y. J. Choi, S. Y. Lee, Internalization problem, delinquency, and protective factor in poor adolescent. Journal of the Korean society of child welfare, Vol. 21, pp. 89-113, 2006.
- C. B. Kopp, Regulation of distress and negative emotions : a developmental view. Developmental Psychology, Vol. 25, pp. 343-54, 1982.
- A. W. Logue, Self-control. Prentice hall, 1995.
- Y. J. Lee, J. H. Park, The effect of use motives, self-control and social withdrawal on smartphone addiction. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, pp. 459-465, 2014.
- S. J. Yoo, S. M. Kwon, The mediational effect of experiential avoidance in the relationship between harm avoidance and anxiety symptoms. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 32, pp. 217-241, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2013.32.1.012
- J. M. Lee, M. R. H. Kim, J. H. Kim, The relationships among adolescents' internet addiction, negative emotions, metacognition and meta-mood: gender differences in high schcool students. Duksung Journal of Society Sciences, Vol. 17, pp. 77-97, 2012.
- C. Segrin, J. Flora, Poor social skills are a vulnerability factor in the development of psychosocial problems. Human Communication Research, Vol. 26, pp. 489-514, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.2000.tb00766.x
- S. H. Han, The relationship between mobile phone addiction style and mental health in middle school students. Korean Association for Learner-centered Curriculum & Instruction, Vol. 8, pp. 403-420, 2008.
- Y. R. Lee, C. N. Son, The effects of the group cognitive behavioral therapy on internet addiction level, negative automatic thought and self-escaping of the college students with internet addiction. Society Science Studies, Vol. 33, pp. 31-47, 2009.
- Y. J. Chung, Effects of integrative arts therapy on internet use control and self-control of internet addictive high school students. The Korean Journal of Art Therapy, Vol. 15, pp. 555-570, 2008.
- H. S. Mun, Y. S. Koh, E. K. Lee, The effects of solution-focused group program for adolescent internet addiction. Forum for youth culture, Vol. 28, pp. 58-80, 2011.
- J. H. Lee, C. N. Son, The effects of the group cognitive behavioral therapy on game addiction level, depression and self-control of the high school students with internet game addiction. Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 16, pp. 409-417, 2008.
- J. S. Kim, B. K. Lee, A study on the effectiveness of self-love program with cognitive-behavioral therapy(CBT) on alcohol dependence. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 31, pp. 289-304, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2012.31.1.015
- S. G. Hofmann, A. T. Sawyer, A. Fang, The empirical status of the new wave of CBT. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, Vol. 3, pp. 701-710, 2010.
- Y. R. Cho, The effectveness of cognitive-behavioral group therapy for speech anxiety. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 20, pp. 399-411, 2001.
- R. P. Mattick, L. Peters, J. C. Clark, Exposure and cognitive restructuring for social phobic: a controlled study. Behavior Therapy, Vol. 20, pp. 3-23, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(89)80115-7
- S. C. Hayes, K .D. Strosahl, K. G. Wilson, Acceptance and commitment therapy: an experiential approach to behavior change. Guilford Press, 1999.
- S. C. Hayes, Acceptance and commitment therapy. springer, 2004.
- A. Gonzalez-menendez, P. Fernandez, F. Rodriguez, P. Villagra, Long-term outcomes of acceptance and commitment therapy in drug-dependent female inmates: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, Vol. 14, pp. 18-27, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1697-2600(14)70033-X
- K. Wilson, S. C. Hayes, M. Byrd, Exploring compatibilities between acceptance and commitment therapy and 12-step treatment for substance abuse. Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, Vol. 18, pp. 209-234, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007835106007
- S. C. Hayes, K. Strosahl, A practical guide to acceptance and commitment therapy. Springer, 2004.
- M. Heffner, G. Eifert, B. Parker, D. Hernandez, J. Sperry, Valued directions: acceptance and commitment therapy in the treatment of alcohol dependence. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, Vol. 10, pp. 378-383, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1077-7229(03)80055-X
- M. P. Twohig, J. M. Crosby, Acceptance and commitment therapy as a treatment for problematic internet pornography viewing. Behavior Therapy, Vol. 41, pp. 285-295, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2009.06.002
- J. H. Lee, C. N. Son, The effects of the acceptance-commitment group therapy (ACT) on the self-control, psychological well-being, experiential avoidance and cognitive fusion in alcoholics. Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 21, pp. 41-50, 2013.
- Y. J. Jo, C. N. Son, Effects of acceptance and commitment therapy(ACT) on problem drinking behavior, alcohol expectancy, and perceived stress of the college students with problem drinking. Korean journal of health psychology, Vol 18, pp. 445-464, 2013 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2013.18.3.002
- L. Roemer, S. M. Orsillo, Mindfulness & acceptance-based behavioral therapies in practice. Guilford Press, 2009.
- S. C. Hayes, K. Strosahl, K. G. Wilson, R. T. Bissett, J. Pistorello, D. Toarmino, M. A. Polusny, T. A. Dykstra, S. V. Batten, J. Bergan, S. H. Stewart, M. J. Zvolensky, G. H. Eifert, F. W. Bond, J. P. Forsyth, M. Karekla, S. M. Mccurry, Measuring experoential avoidance: a preliminary test of a working model. Psychological Record, Vol. 54, pp. 553-578, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03395492
- NIA, Development of korean smartphone addiction proneness scale for youth and adults. National Information society Agency, 2011.
- D. I. Kim, Y. H. Lee, J. Y. Lee, M. C. Kim, C. M. Keum, J. E. Nam, E. B. Kang, Y. J. Chung, New Patterns in Media Addiction: Is Smartphone a Substitute or a Complement to the Internet? The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 20, pp. 71-88, 2012.
- P. C. Kendal, L. E. Wilcox, Self-control in children; development of a rating scale. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 47, pp. 1020-1029, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.6.1020
- W. Y. Song, K. J. Oh, Effects of self-efficacy and self-control on the addictive use of internet. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 1999, pp. 127-132, 1999.
- C. D. Spielberger, Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI). Consulting Psychologists Press, 1983.
- D. W. Han, J. H. Lee, J. K. Tak, Standardize spielberger state-trait anxiety inventory. Journal of Student Guidance, Vol. 10, pp. 214-222, 1993.
- H. M. Mun, Development and validation of the program for facilitation of psychological acceptance based on acceptance & commitment therapy model. Department of Psychology Graduate School Catholic University, 2006.
- E. S. Jung, C. N. Son, Effect of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy on internet addiction level, anxiety, and stress in college student with internet addiction. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 30, pp. 825-843, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2011.30.4.001
- H. C. Lee, C. Y. Ahn, A study of the development and effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral therapy for internet game addiction. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 7, pp. 463-486, 2002.
- J. H. Bae, Effects of K-MBSR program according to the length of the training period on emotional response of college students. Journal of Korean Contents Association, Vol. 10, pp. 198-208, 2007.
- M. J. Yeon, K. Y. Kim, M. S. Lee, J. Y. Hong, S. H. Bae, H. J. Hwang, A comparison study on the internet addiction and health problems of middle school students between urban and rural area. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 1, pp. 41-47, 2010.
- Y. G. Kim, H. J. Lee, A study on undergraduate students' self-growth experiences in a counseling skills training course. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, pp. 315-328, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.315
- Smartphone Addiction vol.91, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2016.91.3.245
- The Mediating Effects of Multidimensional Experiential Avoidance on the Relationship between Stress and Internet/Smartphone Addiction in Adolescents vol.25, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.4.279
- An Integrative Review of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for Mental Health Problem vol.25, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.2.75