- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on an effects of China consumers' self-congruence and public-cultural involvement on Hallyu contents evaluation and attitude
중국 소비자의 자기일치성과 대중문화 관여도가 한류콘텐츠 평가와 태도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Park, Se-Jeung (Division of Business Administration, Yonsei University, Wonju Campus) ;
- Choi, Jiyeon (Division of Business Administration, Yonsei University, Wonju Campus) ;
- Noh, Jeonpyo (Division of Business Administration, Yonsei University, Wonju Campus)
- Received : 2015.12.28
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.28
The purposes of this study are; first, to supply useful suggestions for the market segmentation of the Chinese market according to individual psychological variables(self-congruence) of customers. Second, it figures out the relative importance of actual self-congruence and ideal self-congruence. Lastly, it reveals whether there are any differences in the preference of attributes according to the popular cultural involvement. According to the results, actual self-congruence had a positive influence on the contents factor evaluation while ideal self-congruence had positive effect on the human and cultural factors evaluation. Also, the human and cultural factor had a positive influence on the purchase intention, as well as content factor and cultural factor had the influence on the word-of-mouth. In addition, the group of highly interested in the involvement at the popular culture was significantly higher in the evaluation on the human and contents factor than the low group.
Hallyu;Chinese Consumer;Actual Self-Congruence;Ideal Self-Congruence;Involvement
- Korea Creative Content Agency, 2014 foreign contents market research, 2014.
- Berry, C., Liscutin, N., and Mackintosh, J. D. "Cultural studies and cultural industries in Northeast Asia: what a difference a region makes", Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press. 2009.
- Chae, Jee Young and Yonn, You Kyung. "A Study on Japanese Consumers of the Korean Wave," Korea Journal of Psychology: Consumer & Advertising, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 377-400, 2006.
- Kim, Mi-Ju, Kim Seong-Seoup, Park Jae-On, and Kim, Do-Yun, "A Study of the effects of the preferred reasons for Hallyu Pop music on the preferred Hallyu cultural tourism products, national image of Korea, and intention to visit Korea," Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol. 22, No, 5, pp.441-461, 2010.
- Suh, Chul-Hyun, and Yang, Jin-Youn, "The Effects of Korean wave contents on country image and behavioral intentions," DAEHAN Association of Business Administration, Vol. 25, No, 4, pp.1917-1938, 2012.
- Moon, Hyo Jin and Park, Sung Hyun, "An Exploratory study the popular factors and likability of Korean wave," The International Area Studies, Vol. 17, No, 3, pp.19-47, 2013. https://doi.org/10.18327/jias.2013.10.17.3.19
- Lee, Kwang Chul, Shim, Sang Min, and Moon, Hyo Jin, "Global strategy of korean broadcasting contents: A sptecial focus on Brazil and Chile," The International Area Studies, Vol. 18, No, 4, pp.19-47, 2014.
- Bae, Il Hyun, Kim, Jang Hyun, and Koji, Yoshimoto, "The Mediate role of culture contents products on Korean wave diffusion strategy in Japanese market," Korean Management Review, Vol. 37, No, 7, pp.47-73, 2008.
- Han, Chung Min, Won, Sung Bin, and Kim, Sang Mook, "Psychic distance and its relations with Korean wave and Korean image," The Korean Association of Trade and Industry Studies, Vol. 19, No, 1, pp.121-143, 2014.
- Malär, L., Krohmer, H., Hoyer, W. D., and Nyffenegger, B. "Emotional brand attachment and brand personality: the relative importance of the actual and the ideal self," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 75, No. 4, pp.35-52, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.75.4.35
- Petty, R. E., Cacioppo, J. T., and Schumann, D. "Central and peripheral routes to advertising effectiveness: the moderating role of involvement," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.135-146, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1086/208954
- Heider, F. "Attitudes and cognitive organization," Journal of Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.107-112, 1946. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1946.9917275
- Ekinci, Y., and Riley, M. "An investigation of self-concept: actual and ideal self-congruence compared in the context of service evaluation," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp.201-214. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-6989(02)00008-5
- Erison, M. K., Sirgy, M. J. "Employed females's clothing preference, self-image congruence, and career anchorage," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol .22, No. 5, pp.408-422, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1992.tb01547.x
- Chon, K. S. "Self-image/destination image congruity," Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.360-363. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-7383(92)90090-C
- Lazzari, R., Fioravanti, M., and Gough, H. G. "A new scale for the adjective check list based on self versus ideal-self discrepancies," Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 34, No .2, pp.361-365, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(197804)34:2<361::AID-JCLP2270340218>3.0.CO;2-6
- Sirgy, M. J. "Self-concept in consumer behaviour: a critical review," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 9, No .3, pp.287-300. 1982. https://doi.org/10.1086/208924
- Aaker, J. L. "The malleable self: the role of self-d-expression in persuasion,"Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 36, No. Feb, pp.45-57, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151914
- Liberman, N. and Trope, Y. "The role of feasibility and desirability considerations in near and distant future decision: a test of temporal construal theory," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 75, No. 1, pp.5-18, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.168
- Malhotra, N. K. "Self concept and product choice: an integrated perspective," Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp.1-28, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4870(88)90029-3
- Hong, J. W., and Zinkhan, G. N. M. "Self-concept and advertising effectiveness: the Influence of congruency, conspicuousness and response mode," Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.53-77. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.4220120105
- Landon, E. L. "Self-concept, ideal self-concept, and consumer purchase intention," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 1, pp.44-51, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1086/208590
- Krugman, H. E. "The impact of television advertising: learning without involvement," Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp.349-356, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1086/267335
- Petty, R. E., and Cacioppo, J. T. "The elaboration likelihood model of persuasion," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.673-675, 1984.
- Petty, R. E., Cacioppo, J. T.,and Heesacker, M. "The use of rhetorical questions in persuasion: a cognitive response analysis," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 40, No. 3, p.432, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1242
- Chaiken, S. "Heuristic versus systematic information processing and the use of source versus message cues in persuasion," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 39, No. 5, p.752. 1980. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1992
- Zaichkowsky, J. L. "Measuring the involvement construct," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp.341-352, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1086/208520
- Plewa, C., and Palmer, K. "Self-congruence theory: towards a greater understanding of the global and malleable selves in a sports specific consumption context." International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp.239-252. 2014.
- Ajzen, I., and Fishbein, M. "Attitude-behavior relations: A theoretical analysis and review of empirical research," Psychological bulletin, Vol .84, No. 5, p.888. 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.84.5.888
- Bansal, H. S. and Voyer, P. A. "Word-of-mouth processes within a services purchase decision context," Journal of Service Research, Vol. 3 No. 2, pp.166-177, 2000.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., and Anderson, R. E. "Multivariate Date Analysis(7ed)," New Jersey: Prentice Hall. 2010.
- Kim, Dea Eup, "AMOS A TO Z," Hak Hyun Sa, 2008.
- Klein, J. G., Ettenson, R., Morris, M. D. "The animosity model of foreign product purchase: an empirical test in the people's republic of China", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 62, No. 1, pp.89-100. 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251805
- Harrison-Walker, L. J. "The measurement of word-of-mouth communication an investigation of service quality and customer commitment as potential antecedents," Journal of Service Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp.60-75, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/109467050141006
- Byung-ho Noh, "Error Analysis of Chinese Learners of the Korean Language: Focus on Analysis of Vocabulary ", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 131-142, 2015.
- Kyung-sook Kim, "Advertising Contents based on Semiotic Methodology", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 87-93, 2015.
- Sancherz-Franco, M. J., and Rondan-Cataluna, F.J. "Virtual travel communities and customer loyalty:customer purchase involvement and web sitedesign," Electronic Commerce Research andApplications, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp.171-182. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2009.05.004