- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Photography's educational study : Against practical-based curriculum in photography education
사진의 교육적 연구 : 실기 중심 교육과정에 반하여
- Nam, Tack-Oon (Dept. of Photography & Video, Joongbu University)
- 남택운 (중부대학교 사진영상학과)
- Received : 2015.12.14
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.28
This paper aims to develop the photography education method based, not on the practical technique, the photo recording or the communication, but on the photo theory and the visual culture. This paper can be summarized as follows: First, it analyses the photo theory itself and photography education theory. It examines the studies of the important scholars of photography theory, namely Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Walter Benjamin, Susan Sontag. It examines also the studies of the scholars who applied photography to education, that is, Victor Burgin, Simon Watney, David Bate. This paper examines how photography is related to education theory in general and where photo education can be situated in art education field.
photography education;communication;photography theory;education theory
- Shin-Eui Park, "The contemporary meaning of Laszlo Moholy-Nagy", pp.10, 14-15, Seoul: Hangaram Design Museum, 2005.
- Nan-Ji Yoon, "Art, Science, Technology: the Works of Naum Gabo and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy ", Art History Forum, Vol. 29, pp.398-410, 2009.
- L. Moholy-Nagy, "Painting Photography Film. Boston: Beacon Press Trans. Janet Seligman." pp.30-31, Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press, 1925.
- Sung-Man, Choi trans, "Selected essays of Walter Benjamin 2", p.35, Seoul: Books Gil, 2008.
- Arendt, H. "Illumination", pp. 217-251, New York: Schoken Books, 1968.
- Sung-Wan, Ban trans, "Literary Theory of Walter Benjamin", pp.219-220, Seoul: Minumsa, 1982.
- A. Trachtenberg, "Classic Essays on Photography", p.215, Leete's Island Books, 1980.
- L. Wells, "The Photography Reader", p.60, London: Routeledge, 2004.
- V. Burgin, "Thinking Photography. Mcmillan Education Ltd.", pp.143-145, 1982.
- A. L. Rees & F. Borzello, "The New Art History", p. 53, Atlantic Highlands, NJ: Humanities Press International, 1988. (The original version was published in 1986.)
- S. Watney, "Photography-Education-Theory", pp. 67-73, Screen 25(1), 1984.
- Woo-Ryong Kim trans, "Photography and Text" pp. 145-147, 149, 185-188, 257-269, Seoul: Noonbit Publishing Co, 2006.
- W. Ewald & A. Lightfoot, "I wanna take me a picture." pp. 29-30, Boston: Beacon Press, 2001.
- Scharf. A, "Art and Photography" p. 77, New York: Penguin Books, 1968
- M. G. Rand & D. R. Zakia, "Teaching Photography", p.31, Burlington: Focal Press, 2006.
- Daniel T. Barney, "Visual culture in a high school advanced placement studio art classroom", Visual culture in the art class: case studies, National Art Education Association, pp. 81-88, 2006
- Shi-Pu Wang, "The effecting eye: An integrated approach to teaching history of photography", International Journal of Education through Art, Vol. 5, No. 2 and 3, pp. 213-227, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1386/eta.5.2and3.213/1