- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationships between subjective teeth awareness and satisfaction on self-esteem
주관적인 치아에 대한 인식 및 만족도와 자아존중감과의 관련성
- Jung, Eun-Seo (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Shin han University) ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Hee (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Shin han University)
- Received : 2015.12.28
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.28
The purpose of the study are expected to provide some basic information on counseling, diagnosis and treatment planning for patients related to teeth care. A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 320 subjects in Seoul and Gyeonggi from May to August, 2015 after permission from Institutional Review Board (IRB). Except 18 copies, 302 data were analyzed using SPSS WIN 19.0 program. The questionnaire consisted of four questions of the general characteristics of the subjects, ten questions of the awareness toward of subjective teeth, five questions of the influence of teeth on appearance, and ten questions of self-esteem. The dependent variables made a 23.4% prediction of self-esteem. If they have higher education(p<0.001), influence of teeth on appearance(p<0.001) and the awareness toward of subjective teeth(p<0.001) had significant influence on self-esteem. The findings suggest that heightened subjective awareness toward teeth seems to be of use for the improvement of self-esteem. Therefore it's required to make an effort to take good care of teeth in terms of color or arrangement as well as oral health.
- Kim YJ, Effects of aesthetic surgery on body image, self-esteem and satisfaction with outcomes. J Korean Soc cosmetol, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 1236-1246, 2007.
- Lee GY, A study on the effects of physical attractiveness on sociality - focus on middle and high school. Research of student life, Vol. 11, pp. 1-18, 1998.
- Park KA, A comparative study on the self-esteem between orthodontic patients and general dental patients. Master's thesis, Ewha womans University. 2007.
- Proffit WR, White RP Jr, Who needs surgicalorthodontic treatment. Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 81-89, 1990.
- Hong JH, Good teeth care is sufficient enough to change one's impression. Seoul Pampas, pp. 210-11, 2007.
- Lee HJ, Jeon ES, A research on the questionnaires about Busan citizens understanding of the tooth whitening. Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 79-91, 2006.
- Jung SY. The influence of orthognathic surgery for facial improvement on self-esteem, interpersonal relationship and body cathexis. Master's thesis, Gachon University. 2010.
- Hong ES, The effect of the self-esteem enhancement program on elementary school children's self-esteem and adaptation of school life. Res counsel psychol, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 76-100, 2001.
- Jang SY, Effects of self esteem, family support and adaptation to school life on adolescents' suicidal ideation. J Korean Health Edu & Promotion, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 11-22, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2013.30.2.011
- Seo YK, Relationships between adolescents' appearance satisfaction and self-esteem and academic achievement. Master's thesis, Sook-myung University. 2003.
- Pelham BW, Mirenberg MC, Jones JT, Why Susie sells seashells by the seashore: implicit egotism and major life decisions. J Pers Soc Psychol, Vol. 82, No. 4, pp. 469-487, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- Lee HK, Kim NS, Dental fear and oral health-related quality of life by mediating variable model(self-esteem & self-regulation). J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 577-584, 2014. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.577
- Lee K, Lim HS, Jang KS, Status of perceptions for appearance and cosmetic surgery among university freshmen. J DongGuk Med, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 27-36, 2006.
- Chae SJ, The difference in adolescents' self-respect and self efficiency made by their satisfaction with their physical appearances. Master's thesis, Kyungpook University. 2008.
- Kim SS, Kim DK, Whang CJ, Park JY, The effects of related factors and perception of malocclusion on orthodontic treatment timing. J Korean Dent Assoc, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 452-465, 2000.
- Lee KH, Park CH, Kim SK, Awareness and satisfaction on tooth whitening. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 605-613, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.605
- Kim YN, Kwon HK, Chung WG, Cho YS, Choi YH, The association of perceived oral health with oral epidemiological indicators in Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 250-260, 2005.
- Shin JH, Factors associated with self-percep-tion on oral health in patient of Chonnam national university dental hospital dental care center. Master's thesis, Chonnam University. 2012.
- Min KJ, Do JA, The influence of oral health impact profile (OHIP) on self-esteem of patients during orthodontic treatment. J Korean Acad Indus Co Soc, Vol. 10, No. 7, pp. 1773-1778, 2009.
- Lee KH, Ahn GYR, The Effect of the Interest and Satisfaction in Appearance on Interpersonal Relations and Self-Esteem. J Korean Assoc Psychotherapy, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 73-83, 2013.
- Koo MH, Relation between the degree of contentment in outward appearance and self-respect in the youth. Master's thesis, Kyunggi University. 1999.
- Yang S, Choi YS, Effects of Training Grooming Skills to Chronic Schizophrenic Inpatients on Improving Satisfaction on Self-appearance, Self-esteem, and Interpersonal relationship. J Korean Acad Psychiatric & Ment Health Nurs, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 358-370, 2000.
- Lee SS, A Study on Self-Esteem and Physical Satisfaction of The Elderly Women. J Korean Gerontol Soc, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 547-562, 2009.
- Park EH, Whang CS, Social Self-Esteem According to Clothing Satisfaction and Body Satisfaction of Female College Student. J Korean Soc Cloth & Text, Vol. 2007, No. 1, pp. 186, 2007.