- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The relationship between dementia and the number of remaining tooth of the elderly women on senior center
경로당 여성 노인들의 치매와 잔존 치아 수와의 관련성
- Cho, Min-Jeong (Department of Preventive Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University)
- 조민정 (경북대학교치의학전문대학원예방치과학교실)
- Received : 2015.11.07
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.02.28
Recently, with the population growth of elderly people, concerns about oral health related to the quality of life of the elderly are increasing. The purpose of this study is to assess the association between the elderly women divided into dementia, suspected dementia, healthy groups and the remaining teeth of them. Total 177 elderly women of over 60 years old, visiting on senior center in some community dwelling, were assessed for oral condition and their cognitive function with MMSE score. All the collected data were analyzed by chi-square test, t-test, and multiful logistic regression using SPSS. Multiful logistic regression was used to analyze the relationship of dementia according to MMSE score and remaining teeth, and 95% confidence intervals were computed. Odds ratio(OR) of the number of remaining teeth 0-10 was 3.43 (95% confidence interval: 1.382-8.997). This study showed significant difference and the relationship between dementia according to MMSE score and the number of remaining teeth of the elderly women.
- D. S. Ko, Differences in daily living and exercise capability og the elderly in welfare centers, hall and asylum. Journal of the Global Senior Health Promotion Institute, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp.5-17, 2012.
- M. J. Jeon, D. K. Kim, B. J. Lee, Oral health status of elderly long-term hospotalized patients with and without dementia in Jeollanam-do, South Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp.299-308, 2008.
- Y. S. Yoon, Y. O. Kwon, Y. H. Jung, Comparative study on the actual conditions about hypertension and diabetes case management of the elderly at the hall for the aged and the D senior'college. J Dent Hyg Sci, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp.17-24, 2010.
- S. Listl, Oral health conditions and cognitive functioning in middle and later adulthood. BMC Oral health, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.70-76, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-14-70
- G. R. Ribeiro, J. L. Costa, G. M.Ambrosano, R. C. Garcia, Oral health of the elderly with Alzheimer's disease. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol, Vol. 114, No. 3, pp.338-343, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2012.03.028
- Y. H. Yom, J. H. Han, Factors associated with oral health related-quality of life in elderly persons: Applying andersen's model. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.18-28, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.1.18
- E. S. Kim, M. H. Hong, Perceived oral health awareness in dementia and dementia-suspected depending on KMME. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.217-23, 2015. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.217
- Y. O. Kwon, M. S. Choi, J. H. Lee, H. K. Yun, Analysis of structural relationship among geriatric denture-related characteristics, denture satisfaction, and GOHAI. Journal of Digital convergence, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp.399-407, 2014.
- J. H. Park, H. K. Kwon, B. I. Kim, C. H. Choi, Y. H. Choi, A survey on the oral health condition of institutionalized elderly people resident in free asylum. J Korean Acad Dental Health, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp.555-566, 2002.
- Y. Kimura, H. Ogawa, A. Yoshihara, T. Yamaga, T. Tkiguchi, T. Wada et al. Evaluation of chewing ability and its relationship with activities of daily living, depression, cognitive status and food intake in the community-dwelling elderly. Geriatr Gerontol Int, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.718-725, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12006
- J. S. Park, S. J. Park, J. Y. Yun, K. G. Choi, Efficacy of dementia preventive program for cognitive function, depression, and physical function in the elderly non-demented women-focused on senior citizens center. J Korean Soc Occup Ther, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp.79-96, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2015.23.3.07
- S. O. Yang, H. R. Cho, S. H. Lee, A comparative study on influencing factors of health related quality of life of the elderly in senior center by region: Focus on urban and rural areas. Journal of Digital convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.501-510, 2014.
- M. J. Cho, E. K. Jung, S. S. Lee, Y. H. Choi, K. B. Song, The relationship between the number of remaining teeth and senile dementia:A pilot study. J Korean Acad Oral Health, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp.1-6, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.1.1
- J. H. Park, Y. C. Kwon, Standardization of korean version of mini-mental state examination (MMSE-K) for use in the elderly. Part II. diagnostic validity. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp.508-513, 1989.
- J. H. Kim, S. Y. Kim. Effects of neurofeedback training on unilateral neglect and depression in patients with stroke. Journal of Digital convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp.361-368, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.361
- A. M. Syrjälä, P. Ylöstalo, P. Ruoppi, K. Komulainen, S. Hartikainen, R. Sulkava et al. Dementia and oral health among subjects aged 75 years or older. Gorodontology, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp.36-42, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2010.00396.x
- H. Adam, A. J. Preston. The oral health of individuals with dementia in nursing homes. Gorodontology Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.99-105, 2006.
- S. J. Shin, W. G. Chung, Y. S. Ahn, D. S. Ma, D. Y. Park, S. H. Jung, Association between socio-economic status and oral-related quality of life for elderly people. J Korean Acad Dent Health, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp.297-305, 2011.
- Y. Takata, T. Ansai, I. Soh, S. Awano, I. Nakamichi, S. Akifusa, et al. Cognitive function and 10 years mortality in an 85 year-old community-dwelling population. Clin Interv Aging Vol. 7, No. 9, pp.1691-1699, 2014.
- Y. Kimura, H. Ogawa, A. Yoshihara, T. Yamaga, T. Takiguchi, T. Wada et al. Evaluation of chewing ability and its relationship with activities of daily living, depression, cognitive status and food intake in the community-dwelling elderly. Geriatr Gerontol Int Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.718-725, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12006
- A. E. Gerritsen, P. E. Allen, D. J. Witter, E. M. Bronkhorst, N. H. Creugers, Tooth loss and oral health-related quality of life: A systemic review and meta-analysis. Health Qual Life Outcomes, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp.552-562, 2010.
- T. Yamamoto, K. Kondo, H. Hirai, M. Nakade, J. Aida, Y. Hirata, Association between self-reported dental health status and onset of dementia: A 4-year prospective cohort study of older japanese adults from the aichi gerontological evaluation study (AGES) project. Psychosom Med, Vol. 74, No. 3, pp.241-248, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e318246dffb
- C. S. Ritchie, K. Joshipura, H. C. Hung, C. W. Douglass. Nutrition and a mediator in the relation between oral and system disease: association between specific measures of adult oral health and nutrition outcomes. CRit Tev Oral Bio Med Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.291-300, 2002.
- M. Grover, A. K. Vaidyanathan, P. T. Veeravall. OHRQoL, masticatory performance and crestal bone loss with single implant, magnet-retained mandibular overdentures with conventional and shortened dental arch. Clin Oral Implants Res Vol. 25, No. 5, pp.580-586, 2014.
- Gi-Ug Kim, Ji-Hwa Kim, "A study on the knowledge and awareness of care workers on the geriatric oral health", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 9-15, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.009
- Jin-Kyoung Park, "Convergence factors among their physical state, function and activities influencing on the cognition of elderly residents in a community", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 153-162, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.153