- Volume 16 Issue 1
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the relationship between oral health status and body mass index (BMI) in adults over 65 years old. Methods: The study subjects were 4,550 adults over 65 years old from the 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES V) in 2010-2012. Mastication-related oral health status included the number of remaining teeth, and mean number of decayed, missing, and filled permanent teeth(DMFT). Body mass index(BMI,
body mass index;oral health status;older adults
- Kim YA. Trend in prevalence of obesity among older adults in korea, 1998-2012. 7th ed. Sejong: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(KCDC); 2013: 894-6.
- Cope K. Malnutrition in the elderly: a national crisis: a focus on the problems, causes, consequences, and solutions. Seattle: DIANE; 1996.
- Vermeulen J, Neyens JC, van Rossum E, Spreeuwenberg MD, De Witte LP. Predicting ADL disability in communitydwelling elderly people using physical frailty indicators: A systematic review. BMC Geriatr 2011; 11: 33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2318-11-33. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2318-11-33
- Sclicht J, Camaione DN, Owen SV. Effect of intense training on standing balance, walking speed, and sit-to-stand performance in older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2001; 56(5): 281-6.
- Sarti C, Gallagher J. The metabolic syndrome: prevalence, CHD risk, and treatment. J Diabetes Complications 2006; 20(2): 121-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2005.06.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2005.06.014
- World Health Organization. Oral health surveys: Basic methods. 4th ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1997.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(KCDC). Korea health statistics 2013. Sejong: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(KCDC); 2013: 68-9.
- Hugo FN, Hilgert JB, de Sousa MLR, da Silva DD, Pucca Jr GA. Correlates of partial tooth loss and edentulism inthe Brazilian elderly. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2007; 35: 224-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0301-5661.2007.00346. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0301-5661.2007.00346.x
- Ettinger RL. Changing dietary patterns with changing dentition: how do people cope?. Spec Care Dentist 1998; 18(1): 33-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.1998.tb01356. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.1998.tb01356.x
- Hilgert JB, Hugo FN, Sousa MLR, Bozzetti MC. Oral status and its association with obesity in Southern Brazilian older people. Gerodontology 2009; 26(1): 46-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2008.00226.x
- Semba RD, Blaum CS, Bartali B, Xue QL, Ricks MO, Guralnik JM, et al. Denture use, malnutrition, frailty, and mortality among older women living in the community. J Nutr Health Aging 2006; 10(2): 161-7.
- Park JH. Measuring BMI cut off points of korean adults using morbidity of BMI-related diseases. Korean J Obes 2011; 20(1): 36-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2011.20.1.36. https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2011.20.1.36
- Kim JY. Correlation of metabolic syndrome with anthropometric indicies for the assessment of obesity [Master' thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Kosin, 2008.
- Lee YE, Park JE, Hwang JY, Kim WY. Comparison of health risks according to the obesity types based upon BMI and waist circumference in Korean adults: The 1998-2005 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Korean J Nutr 2009; 42(7): 631-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.7.631. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.7.631
- Han HY, Chang JH, Shim HS, Hong YS, Son BK, Kim HC, et al. The iron status and the relationship between iron deficiency and body mass index in middle school girls. Korean J Pediatr 2006; 49(11): 1174-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.11.1174. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.11.1174
- WHO Expert Consultation. Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 2004; 363: 157-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3
- Lim JW, Kim SY, Ke SS, Cho BL. The prevalence of obesity, abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome among elderly in general population. Korean J Fam Med 2011; 32(2): 128-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2011.32.2.128. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2011.32.2.128
- Heo IY. Comparison of socio-economic status, health status and habits and dietary habits and intake by body mass index(BMI) in adult using data from the 1998 Korean National Health and Nutrition Survey[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 2001.
- Macek MD, Mitola DJ. Exploring the association between overweight and dental caries among US children. Pediatr Dent 2006; 28(4): 375-80.
- Norberg C, Hallstrom Stalin U, Matsson L, Thorngren-Jerneck K, Klingberg G. Body mass index (BMI)and dental caries in 5-year-old children from southernSweden. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2012; 40(4):315-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2012.00686. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2012.00686.x
- Ostberg AL, Nyholm M, Gullberg B, Rastam L, Lindblad U. Tooth loss and obesity in a defined Swedish population. Scand J Public Health 2009; 37(4): 427-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1403494808099964. https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494808099964
- Sheiham A, Steele JG, Marcenes W, Finch S, Walls AW.The relationship between oral health status and body massindex among older people: a national survey of older peoplein Great Britain. Br Dent J 2002; 192(12): 703-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4801461