- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The effect of self-leadership on organizational effectiveness and job performance in dental hygienist
치과위생사의 셀프리더십이 조직유효성과 업무능력에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.08.23
- Accepted : 2016.12.28
- Published : 2016.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the effect of self-leadership on organizational effectiveness and job performance in the dental hygienist. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 281 dental hygienists in Seoul, Incheon, and Gyeonggido from March 1 to 31, 2016. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, self-leadership, job satisfaction, organizational commitment, job performance. Data were analyzed by t-test, one-way ANOVA, multiple regression analysis using the SPSS 18.0 program. Results: The average of self-leadership was 3.62, self-reward had highest score of 3.84, followed by rehearsal 3.73, self-expectation 3.72, self-goal setting 3.51, constructive thinking 3.48, and self-criticism 3.45. The average of organizational commitment was 3.11, and that of job satisfaction was 3.11 and the average of job performance was 3.70. Among the sub-factors of self-leadership, self-expectation, self-goal setting, constructive thinking showed a positive correlation with organizational commitment and job satisfaction. All sub-factors except for self-criticism showed a positive correlation with job performance. Among the sub-factors of self-leadership, self-expectation (
Dental hygienist;Job performance;Job satisfaction;Organizational commitment;Organizational effectiveness;Self-leadership
- Han YH, Park YR. Effects of self-leadership and job involvement on clinical competence in general hospital nurses. J Korean Nurs Admi Acad Soc 2013;19(4):462-9. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.462 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.462
- Barrett C, Myrick F. Job satisfaction in preceptorship and its effect on the clinical performance of the preceptee. J Adv Nur 1998;27:364-71. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00511.x
- Jang KS. Study on establishment of clinical career development model of nurses[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2000.
- McLagan PA. Great ideas revisited. Training & Development 1996;50(1):60-5.
- Zhang Z, Luk W, Arthur D, Wong T. Nursing competencies: personal characteristics contributing to effective nursing performance. J Adv Nur 2001;33(4):467-74. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.01688.x
- Lee DY, Moon JH. A study on the job attitude and job ability between male and female office workers. J Inst Soc Sci, SWU 1999;5:1-37.
- Kang BY. Study on the causal factors of the organizational commitment : korean dental hygienists case[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyonggi, 1999.
- Manz CC, Sims HP. Self-management as a substitute for leadership: a social learning perspective. Acad Manag Rev 1980;5(3):361-7. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1980.4288845
- Manz CC. The art of self-leadership: strategies for personal effectiveness in your life and work. New Jersey: Prentice Hall Inc; 1983: 1-115.
- Manz CC. Self-Leadership: toward an expanded theory of self-influence processes in Organizations. Acad Manag Rev 1986;11(3):585-600. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1986.4306232
- Dolbier CL, Soderstrom M, Steinhardt MA. The relationship between self-leadership and enhanced psychological, health, and work outcomes. J Psychol 2001;135:469-85. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980109603713
- Jooste K, Cairns L. Comparing nurse managers and nurses' perceptions of nurses' self-leadership during capacity building. J Nur Manag 2014;22(4):532-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12235 https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12235
- Manz CC, Sims HP. Super leadership, beyond the myth of heroic leadership. Organizational Dynamics 1991;3:18-35.
- Kim HS. The relationship between teachers' self-leadership and the job satisfaction at secondary schools[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Soongsil, 2002.
- Cho KH. The influence of self-leadership about job-satisfaction and outcome of nursing practice[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea. 2003.
- Georgiou P. The goal paradigm and notes towards a counter paradigm. Administrative Science Quarterly 1973;18(3):291-310. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391665
- Connolly T, Conlon D. Organizational effectiveness: a multiple-constituency approach. Acad Manag Rev 1980;5(2):211-7. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1980.4288727
- Jang JH, Lee YS, Moon AE. The effects of organizational culture and self-leadership on organizational effectiveness in oral health professional. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11(3):395-404.
- Lee SK, Park JH. A study on the relationship between autonomy and group cohesiveness perceived by nurses and their job satisfaction, organizational commitment, motivation and intend to stay on jobs. J Korean Nurs Admin Acad Soc 1996;2(1):5-15.
- Lyman W, Richard M, Richard T, Paul V. Organizational commitment, job satisfaction, and turnover among psychiatric technicians. J Appl Psy 1974;59(5):603-9. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037335
- Kim KJ. An empirical study of turnover-making process model[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 1986.
- Kim JH, Hwang TY. Development of job performance assessment tool for dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(5):713-26. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.713 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.713
- Lee HK. Influence of social characteristics and self leadership on stress coping method in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):849-56. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.849 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.849
- Im SI, Park J, Kim HS. The effects of nurse's communication and self-leadership on nursing performance. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2012;21(3):274-82. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274
- Kim YS, Yoon HS. A study on burnout and organizational effectiveness of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):291-7.
- Lee MY. Factors influencing on job satisfaction, organizational commitment and cognitive happiness among dental hygienists[Doctoral dissertation]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2011.
- Ju OJ, Kim KS, Lee HO. Analysis of the correlation of job satisfaction to turnover among dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):250-6.
- Park JA, Kim BJ. Critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in general hospital. J Korean Acad Nurs 2009;39(6):840-50. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.840