- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Related factors of oral symptoms in adolescents from Korean multicultural families
우리나라 다문화가정 청소년의 구강질환증상과의 관련요인
- Received : 2016.10.24
- Accepted : 2016.12.01
- Published : 2016.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to identify the related factors of dental caries and periodontal disease in adolescents from Korean multicultural families, thereby helping to reduce the prevalence rate of oral disease. Methods: The subjects were 710 multicultural adolescents recruited using a web-based survey, National 2015 Korean Youth Risk Behavior, from the Korean Center for Disease Control. A multicultural family was defined in this study as one having an immigrant mother or father. Oral symptoms included dental caries and periodontal disease. Toothache was defined as a symptom of dental caries. Tender or bleeding gums were defined as symptom of periodontal disease. For statistical analysis, Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) Version 21.0 for Windows was used. Descriptive analysis and a Chi-square test were conducted to determine the factors associated with general characteristics, health behavior, and oral health behavior. Finally, to investigate the associations among oral disease symptoms, logistic regression analysis was performed. Results: Toothache was significantly higher in female 1.52 (95% CI; 1.45-1.60), high school 1.23 (95% CI; 1.18-1.28), women school 1.10 (95% CI; 1.05-1.16), individuals with poor economic status 1.45 (95% CI; 1.30-1.52), and participants who consumed alcohol 1.32 (95% CI; 1.27-1.37). Toothache related to perceived health status was significantly lower in the healthy group 0.69 (95% CI; 0.64-0.75), and was higher in usual stress group 1.65 (95% CI; 1.57-1.74). Gum bleeding was significantly higher in female 1.32 (95% CI; 1.27-1.37), high school 1.15 (95% CI; 1.10-1.19), and individuals with poor economic status 1.38 (95% CI; 1.27-1.50). Gum bleeding related to perceived health status was significantly lower in the healthy group 0.68 (95% CI; 0.63-0.74), and was higher in usual stress group 1.54 (95% CI; 1.46-1.62). Conclusions: Taking into account of social and economic levels, and dietary habits in the multicultural families adolescents, further education and support will be needed for oral disease prevention and early treatment.
Multicultural adolescents;Oral symptoms;Related factors
- Kang SJ, Sohn SM. A case study on the marital satisfaction and child-rearing perception of four international marriage migrant women with infants. J Korea Open Assoc Early Childhood Educ. 2011;16(6):161-88.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Health status of marriage immigrant women and children from multicultural families and health policy recommendations[internet]. [cited 2016 Oct31]. Available from: https://www.kihasa.re.kr/web/publication/research/list.do?division=001&menuId=44&tid=71&bid=12
- Korean Statistical Information Service. Status of marriage immigrant[internet]. [cited 2016 Oct31]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/wnsearch/totalSearch.jsp
- Kim HR. Health status of marriage-based immigrants in Korea and Policy Directions. Health and Welfare Forum 2010;165:46-57.
- Bae KH, Kim SJ. Moderating effect of social capital in regards to the influence that family income and job status have on the level of satisfaction with family relationships among married immigrant women. Korean Acad Soc Welfare 2012;64(3):5-27.
- Cho KS, Lee SY, Jang JH. A comparative study on characteristics related to oral health of multicultural family via Korean women - with focused on Asan-si. KCGR 2012;16(1):323-40. https://doi.org/10.18397/kcgr.2012.16.1.323 https://doi.org/10.18397/kcgr.2012.16.1.323
- Slack-Smith LM, Mills CR, Bulsara MK, O'Grady MJ. Demographic, health and lifestyle factors associated with dental service attendance by young adults. Aust Dent J 2007;52:205-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2007.tb00490.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2007.tb00490.x
- Lim CY. Relationship between restricted activity due to oral diseases and oral health behaviors among adolescents[Master's thesis]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2012.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2010 National oral health and behavior survey report[internet]. [cited 2016 Oct31]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb030301ls.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=0328
- Bae JS. Comparison study on the oral health behaviors of multicultural family adolescents and native family adolescents in Korea. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2014;31(5):71-9. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.5.71 https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.5.71
- Jeon ES, Jin HJ, Choi SL, Jang BJ, Jeong SY, Song KB, et al. Oral health status in women of Korean multicultural families. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(3):499-509.
- Choi JH, Kim Dk. Relation between self-recognition of major oral disease and food intake of Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(2):201-10.
- Lee JH, Nam IS, Jun MS, Yun HK. Oral health characteristics of the multicultural international marriage women in Gimcheon, Gyeongbuk, Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(5):865-72. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.865 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.865
- Park JH. A comparative analysis of oral health behavior in adolescents between multicultural and ordinary Korean families. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):505-12. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.505 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.505
- Newman MG, Takei HH, Klokkevold PR, Carranza FA. Carranza's clinical periodontology. 10th ed. PA: W.B. Saunders Company; 2006: 494-9.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The eleventh Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey raw data base. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare: 2015.
- Jeong GH, Koh HJ, Kim KS, Kim SH, Kim JH, Park HS, et al. A survey on health management of during pregnancy, childbirth, and the costpartum of immigrant women in a multi-cultural family. Korean Journal of Women Health 2009;15:261-9. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.261 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.261
- Kim HR, Yeo JY, Jung JJ, Back SH. Health status of marriage immigrant women and children from multicultural families and health policy recommendations. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2012: 269-76.
- Lee YH, Kwon HK. The significant caries (sic) index of Korean in 2000. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004;28(3):438-48.
- Lukacs JR. Gender differences in oral health in South Asia: metadata imply multifactorial biological and cultural causes. Am J Hum Biol 2011;23(3):398-411. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.21164 https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.21164
- Bjertness E, Erilsen HN, Hansen BF. Factors of importance for changes in dental caries among adults. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 1992;50(4):193-200. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016359209012763 https://doi.org/10.3109/00016359209012763
- Kim JB. Clinical preventive dentistry. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2005: 85-94.
- Cho WS, Chun JH, Choi MS, Lee JH, Lee HM, Yi JH, et al. Oral healthcare related characteristics of international marriage migrant women in Gyungsangnam-Do. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011;35(4):432-40.
- Lee NK, Oh HW, Lee HS. A comparative analysis of oral health behavior between multicultural and ordinary Korean families; mothers and children. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011;35(4):350-456.
- Park BS, Lee DJ, Han KY. The effect of drinking alcohol on the permeability of gingival sulcular epithelium. J Periodontal Implant Sci 1998;18(2):95-112.
- Kim SJ, Han GS. Relationship between perceived oral symptoms and smoking, drinking of high school students in metropolitan area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(3):553-62. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.553 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.553
- Won YS, Jin KN. The relationship of oral state and health condition among elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2003;3(2):157-68.
- Kim ES, Lee SK, Yoon HJ, Nam HM, Kim KH, Kwon GH. Subjective health status and relative factors of old-old elderly of more than 75-year-old -Based on 2011 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey-. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2014;15(7):4279-89. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4279 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4279
- Deinzer R, Hilpert D, Bach K, Schawacht M, Herforth A. Effects of academic stress on oral hygiene-a potential link between stress and plaque-associated disease? J Clin Periodontol 2001;28(5):459-64. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2001.028005459.x https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2001.028005459.x
- Sheiham A, Watt RG. The common risk factor approach: a rational basis for promoting oral health. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2000;28(6):399-406. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2000.028006399.x https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2000.028006399.x
- Cartwright M, Wardle J, Steggles N, Simon AE, Croker H, Jarvis MJ. Stress and dietary practices in adolescents. Health Psychology 2003;22(4):362-69. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.1992 https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6188.8.131.522
- Lee MY, Choi EM, Chung WG, Son JH, Chang SJ. The effects of perceived stress on dietary habits and oral health behaviors in Korean adolescents. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013;13(4):440-48.
- Lee MH, Youn HS. Study on toothbrushing habits, snack intake frequency, and dental caries in primary school students in Changwon city. J Korean Diet Assoc 2011;17(4):364-77.
- Kim MS, Park HS, Kim YS. Correlation between health behaviors and experiences of oral diseases in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(3):513-21. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.513 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.513
- Yang MJ. Applicability of the Serum Folate and Vitamin C as biomarkers of fruits and vegetables intake[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Sungshin women's, 2009.
- Shon DH. Nutritional and bioactive components of soymilk and cow's milk (a review). Korea Soybean Digest 1997;14(1):66-76.