- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Using Convergence Interval Taekwondo on Cortisol, Free Fatty Acids and Muscle Damage in Obese Middle-aged Women
융복합을 활용한 인터벌 태권도가 중년비만여성의 코티졸, 유리지방산 및 근 손상지표에 미치는 영향
- Kwon, Jung-Ho (Dept. of Military Faculty Yeoju institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Tae (Dept. of Exercise Rehabilitation Daewon University College)
- Received : 2016.10.31
- Accepted : 2016.12.20
- Published : 2016.12.31
This study was built to figure out the changes in Cortisol, Free fatty acids and muscle damage indicators, by conducting eight-week interval Taekwondo programs to obese women in their middle age. The exercise programs was consisted of 40 minutes interval Taekwondo workout each time, using the movement of the 80-85% of HRmax intensity. Overall, we got the following conclusions as a result of the conduct. First, Cortisol decreased before and after the 8 week interval, but it did not show a significant change. Second, the FFA showed a significant change by decreasing before and after the 8 week interval. Third, the muscular damage indicators showed a small decrease before and after the Taekwondo workout, but didn't show a significant change. Ultimately, the interval Taekwondo program didn't have a significant effect on improving stress tolerance, stress resistance and protecting muscle injuries, but can be effectively used to increase the lipid oxidation ability.
- You-jung Jin, "Effect of continuous-partial aerobic exercise on blood glucose, serum lipid and body composition among middle-aged obese women," The Graduate School of Kook-min University, master's thesis, 2007.
- Hyun-kyung Oh, "Effect of Participating in Regular Aerobic Exercise on Obesity indices, Physical Fitness and Blood Glucose and Lipids in the Middle-aged Women," The Graduate School of Sungkyunkwan University, master's thesis, 2009.
- Young-Su Park, "The effects of aerobic and resistant combinded training on the body composition, health-related fitness and blood lipid in the middle aged women," The Graduate School of Kyungsung University, master's thesis, 2002.
- Foye, P. M., Stitik, T. P., Chen, B. & Nadler, S. F, "Osteoarthritis and body weight," Nutrition Research, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 899-903, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(00)00164-0
- S. H. Choi, Y. T. Choi, "Effects of the Aerobic Exercise on Blood Lipid of Obese Females in Twenties," Korea sport research, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 161-171, 2005.
- Hall, J. E, "Integration and regulation of cardiovascular function," American Journal of Physiology, Vol. 277, No. 6, pp. 174-186, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.1999.277.1.C174
- Jackson MJ, "Free radical mechanisms in exercise-related muscle damage. In Oxidative Stress in Skeletal Muscle," pp. 75-86, 1998.
- Newham, D. J., Mills, K. R., Quigley, B. M. & Edwards, R. H, "Pain and fatigue after concentric and eccentric muscle contractions,' Clinical Science, Vol. 64, pp. 55-62, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1042/cs0640055
- MacIntyre DL, Reid WD, McKenzie DC, "Delayed muscle soreness. The inflammatory response to muscle injury and its clinical implications,' Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 20, pp. 24-40, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199520010-00003
- Hyun-Ah Park, "The effect of weight training on muscle strength an index of muscle damage for professional Korean dancer," The Graduate School of Yonsei University, master's thesis, 2007.
- Young-Ha Woo, "Effects of Taekwondo posture pumsae)training on the physical ability and the cardiovascular disease variables in elderly women," The Graduate School of Keimyung University, master's thesis, 2008.
- Yeon-Taek Jeong, "A Consideration over the Facilitation of Taekwon-do," The Graduate School of Sejong University, master's thesis, 2002.
- Rognmo, O., Hetland, E., Helgerud, J., Hoff. J. and Slordahl, S. A, "High intensity aerobic interval exercise is superior to moderate intensity exercise for increasing aerobic capacity in patients with coronary artery disease," European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation, Vol. 11, pp. 216-222, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.hjr.0000131677.96762.0c
- Tjonna, A. E., Lee, S. J., Rognmo, O., Stolen, T. O., Bye, A., Haram, P. M., Loennechen, J. P., Al-Share, Q. Y., Skogvoll, E., Slordahl, S. A., Kemi, O. J., Najjar, S. M. and Wisloff, U, "Aerobic interval training versus continuous moderate exercise as a treatment for the metabolic syndrome: a pilot study," Circulation, Vol. 118, pp. 346-356, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.772822
- Wisloff, U., Stoylen, A., Loennechen, J. P., Bruvold, M., Rognmo, O., Haram, P. M., Tjonna, A. E., Helgerud, J., Slordahl, S. A., Lee, S. J., Videm, V., Bye, A., Smith, G. L., Najjar, S. M., Ellingsen, O. and Skjaerpe, T, "Superior cardiovascular effect of aerobic interval training versus moderate continuous training in heart failure patients: a randomized study," Circulation, Vol. 115, pp. 3086-3094, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.675041
- Su-In Chea, "Effects on lipid metabolic-related hormones, inflammatory markers and metabolic syndrome of intermittent high intensity interval training using Taekwondo and continuous aerobic training in middle-aged obese women," The Graduate School of Hanyang University, doctoral dissertation, 2016.
- O'Connor, P. J., Morgan, W .P., Raglin, J. S., Barksdale, C. M., & Kalin, N. H, "Mood state and salivary cortisol levels following overtraining in female swimmers," Psychoneuroendocrinology, Vol. 14, pp. 303-310, 1990.
- Exercise Physiology, Seoul; Hanmi Medical Publishing Company, 2011.
- Young-Suk Son, "The Effects of Korean Dancing-Oriented Gymnastics on Physical Fitness, Hormones and Body Alignment of Elderly Women," The Graduate School of Keimyung University, doctoral dissertation, 2015.
- M. S. Kim, S. W. Yang, "The Change in Blood Lipids, Leptin, and Cortisol of Elderly Obesity Women through Exercise Programs," Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 951-960, 2009.
- C. J. Lee, J. W. Kim, D. S. Shin, "Effects of Soccer Exercise after School on Health-related Physical Fitness and Cortisol in Middle School Boys," The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 1137-1144, 2015.
- Jae-Hyun Jang, "The Effects of 12-Week Combined Exercise on Changes in Health-Related Physical Fitness, Blood Lipid, and Cortisol in Middle-Aged Obese Woman," The Graduate School of Chosun University, master's thesis, 2014.
- Paccotti, P., Minetto,M., Terzolo, M., Ventura, M., Ganzit, G. P., Borrione, P., & Angeli, A, "Effects of high-intensity isokinetic exercise on salivary cortisol in athletes with different training schedules: Relationships to serum cortisol and lactate," International Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 747-755, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-830449
- Y. W. Kwon, "Effects of 9weeks aerobic exercise on serum Leptin, Insulin and Cortisol concentration in female with moderate mental retardation," Korean journal of physical education, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 661-671, 2004.
- Holloszy, J. O., & Kohrt, W. M, "Regulation of carbohydrate and fat metabolism during and after exercise," Annu, Review of Nutrition, Vol. 16. pp. 121-138, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.16.070196.001005
- S. J. Kang, B. R. Kim, S. L. Jung, "The effect of aerobic exercise on insulin resistance and free fatty acids of impaired fasting glucose in middle aged women," Korean journal of physical education, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 399-408, 2010.
- Boutcher, S. H, "High-intensity intermittent exercise and fat loss," Journal of Obesity, 2011.
- Kessler, H. S., Sisson, S. B., & Short, K. R, "The potential for high-intensity interval training to recuce cardiometabolic disease risk," Sports Medicine, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 489-509, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2165/11630910-000000000-00000
- C. H. Kim, A. R. Soon, "The Effects of Exercise Types on Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors, FFA, HOMA-IR and hs CRP in Menopausal Middle-Aged Women," Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 271-293, 2016. https://doi.org/10.16915/jkapesgw.2016.06.30.2.271
- C. W. Park, J. H. Jung, J. H. Yang, "Effects of Physical Activity Level on Blood Concentration of Free Fatty Acid, Ceramide and Insulin Resistance in Obesity Middle School Girls," Korean journal of physical education, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 641-652, 2013.
- Boutcher, S, "Effects of high intensity on fat Loss in Yong Overweight Women," The University of New South Wales, Vol. 37, No. 7, pp. 1195-1205, 2006.
- Wooten, J. S., Phillips, M. D., Mitchell, J. B., Patrizi, R., Pleasant, R. N., Hein, R. M., Menzies, R. D., Barbee, J. J, "Resistance exercise and lipoproteins in postmenopausal women," International Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 7-13, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0030-1268008
- Kourtoglou, G. I, "Insulin therapy and exercise," Diabetes Research & Clinical practice, Vol. 93, pp. 73-77, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8227(11)70017-1
- Bioshop, D. J., Granata, C., & Eynon, N, "Can we optimise the exercise training prescription to maximise improvements in mitochondria function and content?," Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Vol. 1840, No. 4, pp. 1266-1275, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2013.10.012
- Clarkson, P. M., K. Nosaka, and B. Braun, "Muscle function after exercise-induced muscle damage and rapid adaptation," Med. Sci. Sports Exerc, Vol. 24, pp. 512-520, 2002.
- Clarkson, P. M. and Hubal, M. J, "Exercise-induced muscle damage in humans," Am. J. Phys. Med, Rehabil, Vol. 81, pp. S52-69, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200211001-00007
- Brancaccio, P., Maffulli, N. and Limongelli, F. M, "Creatine kinase monitoring in sport medicine," Br Med Bull," 81-82: pp. 209-300, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/ldm014
- Fielding, R. A., Manfredi, T. J., Ding, W., Fiatarone, M. A., Evans, W. J., & Cannon, J. G, "Acute phase response in exercise.III. Neutrophil and IL-1beta accumulation in skeletal muscle," American journal of physiology, Vol, 265, pp. 166-172, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.1993.265.1.C166
- Merinda, S. R, "Physiologic testing of the ultra endurance triathlete," Med Sci. Sport Exer, Vol. 21, pp. S200-203, 1989.
- Ki-Seon Choi, "The Effect of 4-weeks Weight Training on Muscle Strength Improvement and Changes of Muscle Damage Index," The Graduate School of Yonsei University, master's thesis, 2008.
- Jin-Woo Kim, "The Effects of salicornia-herbacea L supplement and Weight training with supplement on muscle strength improvement and index of muscle damage," The Graduate School of Yonsei University, master's thesis, 2006.
- I. S. Lim, "Effects of Aerobic Training during 12 Week on the Changes of Blood Lactate, CK, LDH, and Neurotransmitter Concentration Following Maximal Exercise," Korean journal of physical education, Vol. 50, No. 6, pp. 439-445, 2011.
- W. Y. Lee, S. M. Hong, "Effects of 8 Weeks of Weight Bearing Stability Exercise and Unstability Exercise Program on Growth Hormone, Testosterone and Index of Muscle Damage Changes in Male Collegiate Students," Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 807-815, 2014.