- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Convergence Study on Influences of Self-esteem in Adulthood and Attachment to Mother on Adult Students' Major Satisfaction in e-learning education
성인학습자의 자아존중감, 모 애착이 이러닝 교육과정의 학습자가 선택한 전공만족도에 미치는 영향에 관한 융합적 연구
- Received : 2016.09.18
- Accepted : 2016.12.20
- Published : 2016.12.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of attachment across an individual's lifespan. The present study explored how mother attachment in childhood influences adult student's major satisfaction and examined the mediating effect of self-esteem between mother attachment and major satisfaction. Participants were 529 adult students enrolled in S Cyber University. They answered a questionnaire about their present self-esteem level, attachment to their mother in childhood, and major satisfaction. By using SEM analysis, this study found that adult students' self-esteem completely mediated between their childhood attachment to their mother and their major satisfaction in adulthood. This result indicates influences of a secure attachment and positive self-esteem on major satisfaction of e-learning adult students.
attachment;e-learning;self-esteem;major satisfaction;adult students
- S. H. Kang, "Predictors of Academic Achievement and Dropout Thinking among University Students", Korean Society for Educational Evaluation, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 29-53, 2010.
- Ministry of Education, Educational Statistics, 2014.
- K. H. Kim, H. S. Ha, "A Study of Department Satisfaction Factors of Undergraduate Students", Korea Journal of Counseling, Vo1, No. 1, pp. 7-20, 1999.
- M. E. Kim. & K. Lim, "Analysis of Factors for Learning Satisfaction Based on Gender in Online Graduate University Settings", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No.42, pp. 33-42, 2016.
- C. H. Kim, "Shared Value Expectation on Lifelong Education", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 325-336, 2015.
- M. H. Nam, M. R. Lee, "Factors Influencing Subjective Happiness Index of Health Behavior, Self Esteem and Major Satisfaction by Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 363-374, 2014.
- E. H. Park, E. S. Choi, "Mediation Effects of Self-Esteem and Interpersonal Relationship in the Relations between Adult Attachment and Adaptation to College", The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, Vol. 28, No, 1, pp, 57-82, 2015.
- S. H. Park. & J. H. Ahn, "A Study on the Difference of Career Barriers, Career Attitude Maturity, and Career Competencies based on Gender, Grade, and Fields of Major of Undergraduate Students in the Age of Convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No.8, pp. 69-80, 2016.
- Social Welfare Scales, Seoul: Yangsoewon, 2008.
- M. S. Oh, "A Study on the Effects of Parenting Attitudes on School Adjustment in Middle School Students", Journal of Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 197-203, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.197
- G. A. Lee, N. H. Yu, E. G. Lee, J. Y. Jeon, G. H. Lee, "The Relationship of Academic Personality Types and Major Satisfaction on Academic Achievement Related Variables", Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, Vol.16, No. 1, pp. 107-121, 2004.
- G. Y. Lee & A. C. Kim, "The Relationships of Academic Self-Efficacy, Outcome Expectation and Department-Adaptation of Students Majoring in Sports", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 509-517, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.509
- S. R. Lee, J. Y. Lee, "The Influences of Child-Father Attachment and Self-Esteem in Adulthood on Adult Students' School Adjustment", Family and Environment Research, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 1-10, 2012.
- S. Y. Lee, S. Y. Park, Y. K. Chee, "The Mediating Role of Separation-Individuation in the Association of College Students' Attachment in Childhood Attachment to Their Parents", Korean journal of youth studies, Vol. 21, No. 9, pp. 101-122, 2014.
- J. Y. Lee, "r-Learning and Educational Information Policies", Journal of Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 1, No 1, pp. 1-15, 2010.
- M. J. Lim, "A Study of Selective Motives and Satisfaction Extent of Social Welfare Majors: focusing on graduate students", Department of Social Work Graduate School Kangnam University, 2000.
- Y. R. Joung, "An Analysis on the Current States and the Development of Quality Assurance Strategies in Cyber University", Korea Education Research Information Service. 2010.
- H. Y. Jung, "The Convergence Influence of Life Stress, Depression and Ego Resiliency on College Life Adaptation in Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No.7, pp. 259-268, 2016.
- Y. K. Choi "Effects of Self-esteem, Radiological Technologist Image and Major Satisfaction on College Life Adaptation of Radiologic Science (Technology) Students", The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp. 283-293, 2014 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.02.283
- E. S. Cho, "Effect of Major Satisfaction on Subjective Well-Being for Pre-service Early Childhood Teachers: the Moderating Effect of Peer Relationships", Early Childhood Education Research & Review, Vol. 17, No, 4, pp. 51-70, 2013.
- G. B. Han, "Relationship between Perceived Parental Attachment in Childhood and Depression of College Students: Mediating Effects of Self-Esteem and Adult Attachment", Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 3065-3087, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.5.201310.3065
- S. R. Han, S. G. Chae, M. Kim, "Influence on job satisfaction of Dept. of Beauty Art Hair major's major satisfaction", Journal of the Korean Beauty Art Society, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 77-89, 2014.
- Armsden, G. C., & Greenberg, M. T. "The Inventory of Parent and Peer Attachment: Individual Differences and Their Relationship to Psychological Well-Being in Adolescence". Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 427-454, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02202939
- Bartholomew, K., & Horowitz, L. M. "Attachment styles among young adults: A test of a four category model", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 61, pp. 226-244, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- Bowlby, J. "Attachment and Loss. Vol 2: Separation: Anxiety and anger", New York: Basic Books, 1973.
- Bowlby, J. "Attachment and Loss. Vol. 3. Loss, sadness and depression:, New York: Basic Books, 1980.
- Bretherton, I., Ridgeway, D., & Cassidy, J. "Assessing internal working models of the attachment relationship: An attachment story completion task for 3-year-olds". In M. Greenberg, D. Cicchetti, & E. M. Cummings (Eds.), Attachment in the preschool years: Theory, research, and intervention Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, pp. 273-308, 1990.
- Bretherton, J. "Attachment theory: Retrospect and prospect", Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, Vol. 50, pp. 3-35, 1985.
- Buck, F., & Seiffge, K. "Romantic relationships in Intra-ethnic adolescent couples in Germany: The role of attachment to parents, self-esteem, and conflict resolution skills", International Journal of Behavioral Development, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 128-135, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165025409360294
- Cabral, J., Matos, PM., Beyers, W., & Soenens, B. "Attachment, emotion regulation and coping in Portuguese emerging adults: a test of a mediation hypothesis", The Spanish Journal Of Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 1000-12, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5209/rev_SJOP.2012.v15.n3.39391
- Cai, M., Hardy, S., Olsen, J., Nelson, D., & Yamawaki, N. "Adolescent-parent attachment as a mediator of relations between parenting and adolescent social behavior and wellbeing in China", International Journal of Psychology, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 1185-1190, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207594.2013.774091
- Cassidy, J. "Truth, lies, and intimacy: An attachment perspective". Attachment & Human Development, Vo. 3, No. 2, pp. 121-155, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616730110058999
- Cicirelli, V. "Adult Children's attachment and helping behavior to elderly parents : A Path model", Journal of Marriage and the Family. Vol. 45, 1983.
- Collins, N. L., & Read, S. J. "Adult Attachment , Working Models, and Relationship Quality in Dating Couples". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 58, Vo. 4, pp. 644-663, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1684
- Crook, R. H., Healy, C. C., & O'Shea, D. W. "The linkage of work achievement to self-esteem, career maturity, and college achievement", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 25, pp. 70-79, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(84)90037-X
- Grossmann, K., & Grossmann, K. E. "The impact of attachment to mother and father at an early age on children's psychosocial development through young adulthood", Centre of Excellence for Early Childhood Development, pp. 1-8, 2007.
- Harter, S. "Causes, correlates, and the functional role of global self-worth: A life-span perspective", In R. J. Sternberg & J. Kolligian (Eds.), Competence considered, New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. pp. 67-97, 1990.
- Harter, S. "Historical roots of contemporary issues involving self-concept", In B. A. Bracken(Ed.), Handbook of self-concept: Developmental, social, and clinical considerations, New York: Willey. pp. 1-37, 1996.
- Hazan, C., & Shaver, P. R. (1987). "Conceptualizing romantic love as an attachment process", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 52, pp. 511-524. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1241
- Hoelter, J. W. "The Structure of Self-Conception: Conceptualization and Measurement". Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 1392-1407, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1992
- Holt, L. J. "Help seeking and social competence mediate the parental attachment-college student adjustment relation". Personal Relationships, Vo. 21, No. 4, pp. 640-654, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/pere.12055
- Kang, J., Park, H., Park, T., & Park, J. "Path analysis for attachment, internet addiction, and interpersonal competence of college students", Source of the Document Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol. 342, pp. 217-224, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-35270-6_30
- Kim Y. L., & Lee S. M. "Effect of satisfaction in major at university on academic achievement among physical therapy students". Journal Of Physical Therapy Science, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 405-409, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.405
- Kirkpatrick, L. A., ＆ Davis, k. E. "Attachment Style, Gender, and Relationship Stability: A Longitudinal Analysis", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 66, No. 3, pp. 502-512, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.522
- Lecompte, V., Moss, E., Cyr, C., & Pascuzzo, K. "Preschool attachment, self-esteem and the development of preadolescent anxiety and depressive symptoms", Attachment and Human Development, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 242-260, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616734.2013.873816
- McCormick, C. B., & Kennedy, J. H. "Parent-Child Attachment Working Models and Self-Esteem in Adolescence", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 1-18, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01537139
- Munson, W. W. "Self-esteem, vocational identity, and career salience in high school students", Career Development Quarterly, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 361-368, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-0045.1992.tb00343.x
- Orrie D., Omrit B. I., & Jenny K. "Attachment, self-esteem and test anxiety in adolescence and early adulthood. Educational Psychology, Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 659-673, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/01443410.2013.814191
- Rice, K. G., Cunningham, T. J., & Young, M. B. (1997). "Attachment to parents, social competence, and emotional well-being: A comparison of black and white late adolescents", Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 44, pp. 89-101, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206
- Rice, K. G., FitzGerald, D. P., Whaley, T. J., & Gibbs, C. L. "Cross-sectional and longitudinal examination of attachment, separation-individuation, and college student adjustment", Journal of Counselling & Development, Vol. 73, pp. 463-474, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1995.tb01781.x
- Rosenberg, M. "Society and adolescent self image", Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. 1965.
- Santos, P. J. "Goal instability, self-esteem, and vocational identity of high school Portuguese students" Analise Psicologica, Vol. 2, pp. 229-238, 2003.