- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Predictive Factors on Level of Physical Activity in the Community Dwelling Elderly
노인의 신체활동 수준별 신체활동 예측요인
- Seo, Yeong-Mi (Department of Nursing, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, Mal-Soon (Department of Nursing, Jinju Health College) ;
- Jeon, Mi-Yang (College of Nursing.Institute of Health Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2016.10.31
- Accepted : 2016.12.20
- Published : 2016.12.31
The purpose of this study was to identify the factors that affect the level of physical activity targeted elderly and thereby propose a basis for physical activity promotion strategies. Methods : The study subjects were 164 older who agreed to participate and understand the purpose of the study. The collected data were analyzed using SPSS WIN 18.0 program multiple logistic regression. Results : Factors showing significant associations with physical activity are gender, spouse, education, job, chronic disease, BMI, subjective health status, perceived barriers, and social supports. In the logistic regression analysis, BMI and perceived barriers were significant factors related to minimal physical activity while chronic disease, BMI, subjective health status, and perceived barriers appeared to be significantly associated with health enhancing physical activity. The result suggest that policy should be established to increasing the level of physical activity.
Elderly;Physical Activity;Subjective health status;Perceived barriers;Social supports
- Statistics Korea [SK], 2015 Elderly Statistics. 2016. http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/6/5/index.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=348565&pageNo=1&rowNum=10&navCount=10&currPg=&sTarget=title&sTxt=
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2009). 2008 Survey on the elderly status-A nationwide survey on the elderly living status and welfare needs. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. Medical costs statistical indicators. 2016. http://www.hira.or.kr/dummy.do?pgmid=HIRAA020041000000&cmsurl=/cms/inform/02/1344830_27116.html&subject=2015.
- H. S, Lee, "A Study on Factors Causing Health Conditions and the Burden of Medical Expenses to the Elderly", The Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 163-179, 2004.
- T. Morimoto, Y. Oguma, S. Yamazaki, S. Sokejima, T. Naka-yama, & S. Fukuhara, "Gender differences in effects of physical activity on quality of life and resource utilization", Quality of Life Research, Vol 15, pp. 537-546, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-005-3033-2
- C. L. Craig, A. L. Marshall, M. Sjostrom, A, E. Bauman, M. L. Booth, B. E. Ainsworth, et al., "International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ): 12-country reliability and validity". Medical Science of Sports Exercise, 2003. Vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 1381-1395. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000078924.61453.FB
- J. H. Bae, "The effects of sports social factors on continuous physical activity and resocialization in old women". Korea Sport Research, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 869-879, 2004.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk, N. Gledhill, & R. J. Shephard, "The economic burden of physical inactivity in Canad",. Canadian Medical Association Journal, Vol. 163, pp. 1435-1440, 2000.
- World Health Organization, "Global Recommen dations on Physical Activity for Health. Retrieved" 2015, from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241599979_eng.pdf
- Ministry of Health & Welfare.Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "The Fifth Korea Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANESV-3)." p. 48. 2015. https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do
- Choe, M. A., Kim, J. I., Jeon, M. Y., & Chae, Y. R. (2010). "Evaluation of the Korean version of Physical Activity Scale for the Elderly (K-PASE)", Journal of Korean Women Health of Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp 47-59, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.47
- S. J. Kang, & Y. H. Kim, "The effect of individual, social, and physical environment variables on older adults physical activity", Journal of Korean Sport Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp 113-124, 2011
- S. M. Park, Y. H. Park, "Predictors of physical activity in korean older adults: distinction between urban and rural areas", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 191-201. 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.191 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.191
- G. S. Kang, "A study on the stage of change of exercise and its related factors in patients with diabetes mellitus -Application of transtheoretical model", master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, 2005.
- S. J. Kang, & Y. H. Kim, "The effect of individual, social, and physical environment variables on older adults physical activity", Journal of Korean Sport Psychology, Vol. 22, No 3, pp. 113-124, 2011.
- K. H. Seo, Y. Eun, M. Y. Jeon, "Sports injuries and the changes in physical activity, perceived health state and exercise self-efficacy according to the sports injuries of the elderly who participate in physical activities" Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 18, No 2, pp. 102-109, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.2.102 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.2.102
- M. P., Lawston, M. Moss, M, Fulcomer, M. H. Kleban, "A research and service oriented multilevel assessment instrument" Journal of Gerontology, Vol 37, pp. 91-9, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/37.1.91
- K. R. Shin, J. S. Kim, & J. Y. Kim, "A Comparison on Self-rated Health, Health Status, and Health Promotion Behaviors between Low income and Non-low income Elderly Women", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. Vol 7, No 5, pp. 732-742. 2005.
- C. R. Nigg, G. J. Norman, J. S. Rossi, & S. V. Benisdvich, "Process of exercise behavior change: Redeveloping the scale" Poster session presented at the Society of Behavioral Medicine. San Diego, CA. 1999.
- J. F. Sallis, R. M. Grossman, R. B. Pinski, T. L. Patterson, & P. R. Nader, "The development of scales to measure social support for diet and exercise behaviors" Preventve Medicine, Vol 16, No 6, pp. 825-836, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(87)90022-3
- J. A. Choi, Construction of leisure physical activity model in middle-aged women. doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, 2005.
- K. H. Seo, Y. Eun, "Factors Influencing Physical Activity in Elderly Women at Senior Citizen Centers", Vol. 22, No 3, pp. 236-244. http://dx.doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.3.236 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.3.236
- C..E. Short, C. Vandelanotte, M. W. Dixon, R. Rosenkranz, C. Caperchione, & C. Hooker, et al., "Examining Participant Engagement in an Information Technology-Based Physical Activity and Nutrition Intervention for Men: The Manup Randomized Controlled Trial", JMIR Research protocols. Vol 3, No 1, e2. http://dx.doi:10.2196/resprot.2776. 2014. https://doi.org/10.2196/resprot.2776
- K.I. Kwak, H. H. Baek, S. Y. Ryu., ."Relationship between the physical activity levels and health care utilization in korean elderly" Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 617-626. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.617
- Factors Influencing on the Happiness in Community-dwelling Older Adults in Korea vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2018.12